Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the boards as I just found this site. I went to the surgeon to have an abdomen hernia repaired, but the doctor said he couldn't fix it without me losing weight as I was 100 pounds overweight. As I have had several abdomen surgeries in the past, he said I was an excellent candidate for the Gastric Sleeve. I went home, thought about it and discussed it with my family. Everyone, including myself, agreed that I should get the surgery. So, on November 7, 2011, I had the Gastric Sleeve Surgery. Everything appeared fine. Even Thanksgiving came and went with no problems. However, the first week of December, I developed complications. I started running a fever and I didn't feel well. The doctor had me admitted to the hospital because I had developed an infection in my spleen. I was operated on again to clean out the infection on my spleen. A few days later I went home. However, that was not the end of the surgeries. The end of December, on December 26, 2011, I was admitted again to the hospital with more complications. The infection traveled to my left lung. I had to be operated on again to clear out the infection on my lung (by a lung surgeon) and my surgeon assisted to see if the infection was gone. The infection was near the sleeve site now. So, he cleaned out the infection at that site at the same time. After that, I started to recover and the after weeks of being on very strong antibiotics, the infection was completely gone in all places. They say that a very small percentage of patients get a leak at the site of the sleeve. Guess who was one of those people? Me! That was what caused the infections to begin with. I went home finally towards the end of January. I've been home since and my weight started at 228 lbs (5'2"). I am not down 59 1/2 pounds and weight 169 1/2 pounds. I was originally a size 20 and now I am in a 14. My 16's are getting big on me. I eat almost everything again, but in very small portions. I can eat chicken, steak, Pasta, pizza, salad, olives, cheese, drink milk and even have a very limited glass of wine every now and then. I found out the hard way that I can definitely tolerate wine but after drinking a small sip or two, I feel and act like I have had an entire bottle. About Snacks? I can eat almost anything again. That is the bad part. I can tolerate a variety of snacks, but I found out which snacks agree with me and aren't fattening. popcorn is a great snack and so are Special K Snacks (they come in sour cream and onion or chedder) and I can eat about 5-10 of these without a problem. Ice cream doesn't really agree though (for the 1 tsp that I would eat of it anyway). I like ice pops too. drinks that are good is crystal light pink lemonade or regular lemonade. I also like diet sodas, and definitely cannot tolerate either pepsi or coke anymore as it tastes too sugary.

So, that is my story and I don't know when the weight loss will stop just yet. I am averaging around 2-3 pounds per week (and this week it was 1 1/2 pounds).

- Susan

Wow! I'm getting sleeved in less than three weeks. The leaking scares me. Did you have a lot of pain in recovery when waking up from sleeve surgery

My surgery date is April 18 2012 with Almanza I can't hardly wait I hear so much about him all good my insurance was a no go all around the board they would rather wait till some was wrong with me like high blood pressure or diabetes or something before my doctor would even offer the suggestion any doctor in the u.s. could look at my chart and see my BMI has always been 35+ so I'm playing doctor and fixing myself not that overweight people not cool, cuz they are and so am I as a big-girl, I'm just done with that part of my life time for a change (one straight- up) for the better of me.......

Wow! I'm getting sleeved in less than three weeks. The leaking scares me. Did you have a lot of pain in recovery when waking up from sleeve surgery

I had surgery this past Wed...when I woke up I felt like I had a lot of phlem stoke in my chest...it was hard to cough it out because I was still in pain from surgery...I had a morphine drip...I was able to give myself pain medication every 10 minutes...I experienced a little nausea the following day thats about it...I was discharged yesterday afternoon...I've been experiencing a lot of gas pain it starts from my stomach and builds up to my chest..its the worst but gas x strips have helped me sooooo much....Im able to do pureed food but I'm trying to stay with liquids right now...just sipping through out the day...just taking one day at a time.

I haven't posted on here in a very long time. I wrote this post back in April. It is now almost the middle of October. Since last posting my story, I have lost a total of 80 pounds more or less. My weight is fluctuating up and down by 1-2 pounds. I'm 149 pounds and a size 8. I am comfortable in my own skin finally! My latest bloodwork came back perfect! All my blood levels are terrific! The doctor is quite pleased with my progress. I eat small portions of everything. But I have noticed that the portions are alittle bigger than previously. Now, I can eat more than just a couple of pieces of meat. I eat like a quarter of a steak at the most. I still eat some junk foods but not much to make a difference. I take my daily Vitamins too. I do walk alot as much as I can too. The one thing I am fortunate for is that I have never thrown up since I got the surgery almost a year ago. If I had to do it again, even with all the complications I had, I would definitely do it over. It really was worth it!

Now, to answer some of the posts here:

Tyvette04, how did ur surgery go? Hope it was successful!

Roxiehotgirl, how did your surgery go? I never heard of your surgeon though..

Mita710, how are u feeling?

Now, since this discussion hasn't been active in about 6 months, it would be interesting to see how everyone is doing 6 months later.

- Susan