Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mean ol' doctor.

Lapbandit I am like karenJ tell us your secrets that is awesome weightloss... Ignore the dummy even if it does hurt at the time. You have a whole lot more going for you and more friends too I bet.....

My total lost is from February of this year. I was a "wannabe bandster" for about 2 months before surgery so that really gave me a jump start on the process. Thanks!~ You guys are doing awesome too! We're a cool group!

Post the name of your village idiot, I did in "my PCP is an asshole" thread. It's not slander if it's true and it could also help prevent some other unsuspecting victum from having to endure paying someone to be stupid.

OMG LapBandit - Get a new PCP. What a jerk. Would she rather see you die? Don't even hessitate. Ask your friends for some references and switch immediately. A huindred punds?? AWESOME!!! God Bless you.

LadysMAn

Scheduled to be banded Aug 16,2006

You're losing tons of weight. You're already victorious so don't waste anytime on MDs who are insensitive. Next time you make an appt. be SURE to request that you NOT be seen by this MD. Although, if you're even lighter, it might be a feather in your cap to see her again. LOL.

Yeah, you guys are right. I've made up my mind...there are two other doctors from that practice so I'm only going to see the ones I feel comfortable with.

LapBandit,

I don't know what your PCP's intentions were however, I think you should go on how she made you "feel". Your interaction with her made you uncomfortable and upset therefore it really doesnt matter what she meant.

I was looking at your stats in your signature and I was AMAZED!! It hasn't even been 5 months and you have lost almost lost 100lbs!!!!! That is amazing!!! Every person that knows you should be proud of your success!!!! If they aren't, they do not have your best interests in mind.

:clap2:

I just wish that I could clone my PCP he is the best thing since..........oh well you all get my meaning. I went to see him yesterday for other issues and I was telling him how if my insurance ever decided to pay for wls I was going to have the banding done. He gave me a big hug and a kiss on the forehead and said that he thought it was the best decision I could ever do. He said that he is so glad insurance is fineally paying for something other then bypass. He has the same feeling about the later outcomes of bypass surgeries. Some people have no issues and more people have major ones. He said that he had recently been researching it for another patient and had no clue that was something I was already looking into. So with that stated....I do have to apologize for how you were treated(seem to do that alot to patients cuz some drs left their mannors in the toilet when they got up that morning) but remember there are a whole lot of great family physicians that will support you through it all. Keep up the great work with the weight loss.

I had a difficult visit with my gyn this week. His first comment was "have you ever talked to your PCP about wls?" I said, "yes, in fact I have done it! I had lapband surgery". And his response: "So I see it's not working for you"! :Banane27:

I've lost 42 pounds since my surgery (3/1/6) and though it is not as stellar as some (you rock Lap Bandit!!), I think I'm doing pretty good. Hey, the scale is going down, isn't it?

So, I kind of laid into him. He back peddled really quickly. I think some doctors just want to cure the world in a day. And what took 10 years to come on, I know will take time to come off. I was down about his comments...until I read the above posts.

So thanks everyone for being so open!

And his response: "So I see it's not working for you"! :Banane27:

That is TOTALLY worse than what happened to me. Yikes! You have way more self-control than I do because I probably would've walked out bawling or something! That really sucks that he said that to you because it IS working for you. Your weight loss has been great!

This thread has really Enlightened me...perhaps since banding is still pretty new to the US we will unfortunately will have to continue to deal with incidents like these. I guess I naively assumed the medical proffesion would know more than the average Joe, but obviously the word is taking awhile to spread!

For those of us who do understand the procedure and how the band works, we already know that we are successfully using the tool and that it is working. It makes me glad yet again to have this site!!

I had a difficult visit with my gyn this week. His first comment was "have you ever talked to your PCP about wls?" I said, "yes, in fact I have done it! I had lapband surgery". And his response: "So I see it's not working for you"! :lol:

WoW MizJudie what a jerk!!! I think your results look great! You know, at my seminar I met a fellow bander and listened intently to her story. She started at 360 and she said it took 70 pounds or so before anyone even noticed that she was losing weight. Three years later she is 190 or so and has a new lease on life, snowboarding with her son and traveling with her husband.

I can't believe the nerve of some people and just how uneducated some Dr.'s seem to be.

I have to insert a dancing banana here..... they are just so cute! :Banane27:

Thanks for the support! I was pretty upset about his comments. And I really like this doc in most respects which I think is why he upset me so much. I know he realized he was being really insensitive...and I bet he doesn't make such assumptions again with any one else.

My biggest problem with even the wls docs is they think that everyone's weight loss should be the same. Since I didn't hit my surgeons bench mark, he told me I just wasn't committed. Actually, he screamed at me. Yes, like raised-his-voice screamed at me. So I did change wls doctors. My new one is very nice and said his goal is not a certain number of pounds, but his goal is to get me a healthier body. I like that. I feel motivated again and I'm not going to let my gyn's comments get me down.

Thanks for the encouragement y'all!

When I suggested to my internist that I wanted to explore lap band, she told me, 'oh no...you just need to eat less and exercise more.' I looked at this 5'0" 90 lbs woman and thought, 'this is my last visit.' When I described my self-loathing to my GYN and asked if she would support my decision and act as my PCP, she was amazing. After a speech about not putting my whole self worth into how much I weigh (and she told me I was the woman she aspired to be--amazing!)--she said she'd support me and wrote a 2 page killer letter. She told me she dared the ins co to deny me. I am still in the process... Lightweight BMI of barely 40.

My biggest problem with even the wls docs is they think that everyone's weight loss should be the same. Since I didn't hit my surgeons bench mark, he told me I just wasn't committed. Actually, he screamed at me. Yes, like raised-his-voice screamed at me. So I did change wls doctors. My new one is very nice and said his goal is not a certain number of pounds, but his goal is to get me a healthier body. I like that. I feel motivated again and I'm not going to let my gyn's comments get me down.

Thanks for the encouragement y'all!

MizJudie

WoW! again! I am soooooo glad I came to this forum before choosing my Dr. I had originally chose Dr. Speigal and decided to choose Dr. Spivak after reading patient posts of both Dr's.

Irwinlaura

I am so glad that you found someone so supportive to help you.

LOL. So funny how small petite women always want to give advice on losing weight and staying thin. I was eating a salad the other day at work and this 22 year old size 0 said "wow, why don't you go get yourself some real food." O.O "I laughed and said, well I guess if I was your size, I would think the same thing."

Maybe it's because I'm used to all the questions, but it doesn't bother me. It might be because I already plan on getting my excess skin removed after baby #2 in a few years.

There are haters out there and the best thing you can do is try to educate them and go on your way. :(

Best of luck to ya!