Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Milk Or Water With Protein Skakes

I love milk, can I mix milk with my Protein Drinks or strictly Water?

Cmullinvegas

you can most definitely mix your shake w/milk - that way you get more Protein

kathy

I used milk with mine until I realized I am lactose intolerant. I usually mix Protein Powder into Decaf coffee now.

You can do either. I depends on how many calories you want to consume. If you make the shake with 8 ox of milk that adds about 100 calories plus the calories in your shake mix. I have gotten used to making mine with Water and I have one every morning for Breakfast with a scoup of benefiber to help me stay regular. I would rather use those 100 calories for something else that might come along. Just a person preference plus using milk will add more Protein. Just keep track of your fluids and also your protein as they are both very, very important.

I considered the lactose thing when I learned that after surgery some folks who were not lactose intolerant before sleeving become that way after. Here is a blurb about the types of whey powder and lactose content:

Isolate vs. Concentrate vs. Hydrolysate

As for whey Protein powder, you’ve got a couple options. Whey Protein concentrate contains some fat and lactose, while whey protein isolate is pretty much pure protein with very little of the other dairy elements remaining. Concentrate is less processed and more whole, but has less protein. Isolate is about 90-94% protein, but it’s subjected to a more rigorous refinement process. Bodybuilders are drawn to the “purity” of whey isolate, lured by the moderately higher protein counts. Isolate is also considerably more expensive than concentrate, and the purported boost in beneficial effects on protein synthesis are overstated; drinking any kind of whey Protein shake will have a beneficial effect on your muscle recovery and protein synthesis. If cost is not an issue, or you’re mildly sensitive to dairy, then isolate is your best choice. Otherwise, it’s probably fine to go with concentrate for most applications (or otherwise further you could just eat a steak instead).

Whey hydrolysate is predigested whey protein that’s easily absorbed and virtually free of any potential allergens, but it’s (in my opinion) horribly overpriced. Whey in general is already highly bioavailable and easily absorbed by our bodies, so absorption is rarely an issue with whey. Hydrolysate is great marketing. That’s about it. The elite of the elite – those hulking magazine cover superheros with tanned, smiling faces atop straining, veiny necks – may have actual cause to maximize protein absorption, but you guys definitely don’t need to fuss over that stuff.

Read more: http://www.marksdail.../#ixzz1q9Usg3lY

So isolate and the overpriced hydrolysate are more free of lactose.

If you want to still have the thickness and "milkshake" taste that milk offers but you dont want the calories, sugar, or carbs. Try unsweetened light soy milk, or even almond milk. They are great in shakes.< /p>

When I was keeping my calories between 400-600 I used water...when I upped my calories I began using milk...I never really liked milk pre-op....like it a lot now!

Thanks everyone, nutritionist says full liquid diet starts today, as I am home from surgery. I will have a Protein Drink in a few minutes then.

Okay, I mixed milk and Water. Had two small, slow sips and burped so I guess that means I'm full.

Another alternative is a low fat or 2% lactose free milk. I have always been a little lactose intolerant so tend to buy it anyway.