Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do You Like About Yourself? It's A Tell All!

I know from my own experience, and from reading some of the topics here, that a lot of us only look at ourselves to criticize. I know that I often pick on myself worse than anybody else, and the self-deprecating humor has to stop. It starts as a self-defense mechanism but before you know it you're really thinking those things about yourself. I thought it would be interesting for us pre- and post-sleevers to list a few things about ourselves (both physical and personality) that we actually like without the added "but.." that is often attached. My best friend asked me today why I always make jokes about myself and it made me realize that it's easy to lose sight ourselves and only think about our weight.

I'll go first! I love the shape and color of my eyes and think they're perhaps my best feature. I like my fair skin and my curly hair. I like the fact that I resemble my great-grandmother so much that my grandfather says that it's like looking at a younger version of her. It makes me feel connected to my family in a very intrinsic way. As for my personality I like my dry and sarcastic sense of humor and the fact that I live outside of the box and march to the beat of my own trombone. I am loyal to my family and friends. I like who I am now, and that who I am is worthy of being respected and known by others regardless of what my outer package looks like. I like the fact that my daydreams take me to crazy places that inspire my creative and artistic side.

So what are your favorite physical and personality traits?

I like my eyes and smile - a lot of people comment that I have a beautiful face. My friends were very concerned that I may go all hard angles after the WLS, but till now that hasn't happened. So I'm kinda hoping that I retain what my friends call a 'charming' face (whatever that means LOL)

And this has nothing to do with weight: Last week I took a cab back from work and once I reached home and settled the money, the cab driver said I had a great voice and that it is really rare to hear such a sweet voice! Ofcourse, I blushed and stammered a thanks but I was grinning the whole week (still do LOL). That was such an unexpected compliment. I have had many friends say my voice is good, but never has a stranger complimented me on it.

I love my pale skin, black hair, and blue eyes! The three together really makes my eyes pop!

I love the fact that I have really pointy fingers!

I love that my hair is naturally curly.

I have an English accent even though I've lived in Ohio my entire life, and no one in my family is from England! Actually they are from Kentucky. For some strange reason I have an accent, always have.

Like Lyra I march to my own beat, I always say I march to the beat of my own drum.

I love my passion for nature, and animals.

I'm loyal to my family first and then my friends.

I've always been the one to stick up for the "under dog"

I love my hair and my fingernails. Both are very strong, healthy and grow very nicely. (remember I said that later) I also like that I "do what I say I am going to do" and people can count on me as dependable. Doesn't seem like much, but I know so many people have a hard time being responsible to others.

Great idea! =)

I really love my eyes. They go from deep green to hazel. I like my smile. I like my long fingers.

I like the person I have became since becoming a mother. Very nurturing,always trying to give someone a little pick me up,or motivate them. I can see that in myself and appreciate being this way. =)

Interested in seeing alot of other posts on this thread. =)

Great idea! =)

I really love my eyes. They go from deep green to hazel. I like my smile. I like my long fingers.

I like the person I have became since becoming a mother. Very nurturing,always trying to give someone a little pick me up,or motivate them. I can see that in myself and appreciate being this way. =)

Interested in seeing alot of other posts on this thread. =)

I have an extremely symmetrical face- which I know sounds a bit odd- but I hate when people say that they are 'pretty' or 'beautiful' because I feel like that is all in the eye of the beholder. What's cute to one person may be gorgeous to another, and what's gorgeous to one may not be appealing at all to someone else.

So I don't necessarily think that I'm pretty or beautiful, but my face is pretty much perfectly proportioned and I love that.

I like my nails -- they tend to be long without any effort. I like my thick hair, and one of my biggest worries about this surgery was losing that. I've lost hair, but it is still thick.

I like my mouth. It's full and my smile is big.

I love my family and how easily humor comes to my husband and me and our kids. I like that my father-in-law, husband and son have fun with words since I'm a writer.

I love my job and feel I'm good at it. I teach English composition to college students.

I like my willingness (if not my skills) to tackle a home improvement project. I like that I've had such a big hand in making our house a home.

I like that my eyes change colors.

I like my sneeze, which tends to not sound like a sneeze. It's memorable, and it usually makes people laugh.

I love that I've been able to record my family's little moments with my writing and photos.