Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone I have notice that everyone losses anywhere from 15 to 35lbs before surgery. I don't have a surgery date yet but can I know how have ya done it. I'm sure drinking shakes help but what else is involve? As of right now I'm 282 lbs 5'7 and 24years old. Can't wait to hear everyone experience, suggestions, opinion, and even concerns.

Hopefully someone can answer this question

My doctor started me on my third medication for my Diabetes - Victoza and it has helped curb my appetite some. I started walking on my breaks at work around the building with a group of girls. Eating the things I know are right most of the time. I have lost 30lbs since October 2011. 9 of those lbs I lost since February 20 on the Pre-Op diet and that is with a meal in the evening consisting of 3-4 oz lean Protein and vegetables. I didn't think I could lose that much on this diet but proof is on the scale :). Why then couldn't I just do that once every two months and lose it all? Because without the $225 a month medication and an all protein shake/small meal plan diet everyday I would put all of that back on plus some.

Good luck on your journey!

weight.png

My doctor started me on my third medication for my Diabetes - Victoza and it has helped curb my appetite some. I started walking on my breaks at work around the building with a group of girls. Eating the things I know are right most of the time. I have lost 30lbs since October 2011. 9 of those lbs I lost since February 20 on the Pre-Op diet and that is with a meal in the evening consisting of 3-4 oz lean Protein and vegetables. I didn't think I could lose that much on this diet but proof is on the scale :). Why then couldn't I just do that once every two months and lose it all? Because without the 225 a month medication and an all protein shake/small meal plan diet everyday I would put all of that back on plus some.

Good luck on your journey!

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question

Honestly, the two week liquid diet was extremely difficult for me. I had the Protein Shakes and chicken broth. The chicken broth was like having steak to a starving stomach. The first 4 days were the hardest, but then you hit a groove and it really does get easier. The Protein shakes will help curve your appetite, if you use like 1% milk. I also drank zero calorie poweraid for variety. Ate sugar free Jello and chewed it to make me feel like I was eating. I looked at as my part in the deal, cheating was not an option, I told myself if I cheated, they wouldn't do the surgery. I think how much you lose depends on how big you are in the first place. I started my liquid diet at 297 and I lost 23lbs. I just had my surgery on the 23rd and I am down to 265. I never thought I would drop this quickly. It keeps me going though, cause the liquid diet doesn't stop after surgery. As a matter of fact, my dr. requires another 4 weeks! It's all about allowing yourself to heal, cause you do not want leaks! They are bad news. At least now on my liquid diet I can have some Soup like cream of mushroom, etc. Getting all the protein after surgery is a challenge, I am relying on Isopure a lot, so tired of the shakes. Anyway, you can do it. I never thought I could as I have never been successful at a diet, so if I can, anyone can.

I hope you get more replies. I'm scheduled for May and need to lose 20 lbs by then. HELP US!!! lol

Honestly' date=' the two week liquid diet was extremely difficult for me. I had the Protein Shakes and chicken broth. The chicken broth was like having steak to a starving stomach. The first 4 days were the hardest, but then you hit a groove and it really does get easier. The Protein shakes will help curve your appetite, if you use like 1% milk. I also drank zero calorie poweraid for variety. Ate sugar free Jello and chewed it to make me feel like I was eating. I looked at as my part in the deal, cheating was not an option, I told myself if I cheated, they wouldn't do the surgery. I think how much you lose depends on how big you are in the first place. I started my liquid diet at 297 and I lost 23lbs. I just had my surgery on the 23rd and I am down to 265. I never thought I would drop this quickly. It keeps me going though, cause the liquid diet doesn't stop after surgery. As a matter of fact, my dr. requires another 4 weeks! It's all about allowing yourself to heal, cause you do not want leaks! They are bad news. At least now on my liquid diet I can have some Soup like cream of mushroom, etc. Getting all the protein after surgery is a challenge, I am relying on Isopure a lot, so tired of the shakes. Anyway, you can do it. I never thought I could as I have never been successful at a diet, so if I can, anyone can.[/quote']

What protein shakes would you recommend? As far as the isopure did you buy the shakes or liquid? Thank you for taking the time to answer my question

BariEssentials by Fortify Nutritionals, they are actually very good. I added different extracts to change up the flavor and they were actually good. And I absolutely had to blend mine with ice, otherwise I can't stand the shakes. My favorite was to freeze coffee and use the frozen coffee cubes and even add a pack of Nestlé instant coffee. It is like a frapachinno and so good.

Oh and the Isopure I bought the individual ones at the Vitamin store. There is a bit of a aftertaste, so I just sip it throughout the day. The mango one had the worst aftertaste, I won't get that one again. The grape is pretty good

through out my six month nutritional visits instead of losing i was gaining, the nervousness of not being able to eat what i want made me eat what i want, but as soon as they put me on a two week nutritional liquid diet so far i have lost 15 pounds i have two more pounds to sit my 17lb goal for pre op, on monday march 5 yay! n i worked out 4 times within those two weeks. hope that helps

through out my six month nutritional visits instead of losing i was gaining' date=' the nervousness of not being able to eat what i want made me eat what i want, but as soon as they put me on a two week nutritional liquid diet so far i have lost 15 pounds i have two more pounds to sit my 17lb goal for pre op, on monday march 5 yay! n i worked out 4 times within those two weeks. hope that helps[/quote']

I have done the same thing I started at 250 when I was told I was a candidate and now 6 months later 282 it's crazy! Which shakes did you drink? We're you working out? Can you give me a run down of your diet? Good luck with your surgery?

I have a completely different situation. No liquid diet for preop. I lost the weight by downloading an app on my smart phone called calorie counter. It was free and I maintained a 1200-1500 calorie diet. I can't do much exercise because of plantar faciatis but my lower calorie intake has helped me lose about 30 lbs. I'm 6 days away from my surgery and I'm really struggling with this diet. I've struggle d with the thought of surgery since I was losing on my own, however, I'm feeling like I usually do every time I go on a diet. I know I need this surgery to help me make this life change. Hope this helps.