Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Gone To Mexico To Be Sleeved?

Thanks Andy,

It seems like you had more time in the hospital than others I have heard of, I need to get there and back to Canada as quickly as possible. It just occured to me that it was because the had to take the lap band out first, perhaps that is why it took so long?

I think that I was pretty standard for Dr Garcia. Maybe since I had surgery so late in the day on Monday is why I was there until Wednesday. I think that he usually keep you a couple of days after the surgery and then 2 days in the hotel. I certainly did not want to leave until I knew that all was going as expected and then have to find a doctor here in the US to take care of me. The doctor that did the lapband has refused to see me now that I had the sleeve in Mexico. Sounds like the US doesn't it.

I am here alone and it doesn't bother me a bit. I've always been the adventurous type though. I did make fast friends with another lady who had her surgery the same day, she brought her daughter to take care of her, but we also have been looking out for each other. I am having a very good and positive experience.

I had my surgery on 2/11/12 through BeLiteWeight with Dr. Rodriguez and his crew at Star Medica Hospital in Juarez, MX and I have to say that it was the best experience ever for me. You stay in the hospital the entire time you are there (4 days, 3 nights). I have read where some patients have left earlier than that if they are doing okay with keeping liquids down.

The hospital is super clean and the rooms are like staying at a 4-star hotel! My husband traveled with me but if you travel alone, there isnt a minute they leave you unattended from the moment you land in the El Paso Airport and meet Sergio their driver to the moment you walk out the hospital to meet Sergio again to go home! :)

Dr. Rod is really down to earth and sat and talked with us about life, technology, kids, the surgery after-life, etc.. for about an hour or more each day we were there! I have NEVER had that kind of personal attention with any doctors here in the US! They make you feel like family and that was really comforting!

Good luck with your search for a doc! Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks, I will do my homework and start with asking you which clinic you no longer trust, because it is only by word of mouth that we can help each other as no one is paying you to be truthful, so if you wouldn't mind sharing that would be great, because I really want to go to MX so that I can afford it, but I am nervous.

I appreciate your help :)

Sarah

Second to last line of my signature below. PM me for details if you want them. Again, I had NO problems, others after me did.

I used Dr. Kelly and went alone... I was just fine and my experience was awesome . He uses a hospital which was important to me. The nurses and staff were wonderful. I had better care then I have had in the states.

Julie

Thank you for your response, I am coming from Canada and it is about 18,000 here and I see it is about $5-6k in Mexico so even with airfare it would make sense, I just have to figure out which Dr. someone said they had a bad experience with one of the MX doctor's but they didn't say who, so that is concerning. Could you tell me which Dr. you used and trust? Thanks so much!!

Dr. Jaime Ramos Kelly

Hi Sarah,

I just wanted to let you know that I was in Mexico for my surgery on Jan 9 2012. I am also Canadian, (just across the Water from you), and I was very nervous as I had never even gone to a restaurant alone!! let alone travel to another country. I had my surgery performed by Dr. Kelly, and I could not be happier. He is very experienced. He has been doing the sleeve operation a lot longer than most of the other doctors that you could choose from. He is running his own booking service now, which is better for his patients. He offers the same service as all the other coordinators, but you have a direct line to him and his services. The hospital that he uses is top notch, the staff speak english, and the rocovery hotel is 5 star. I had to go alone, and in the end I was glad that I did. The last thing I wanted to do, was have to worry about my companion being bored. I flew down to San Diego on a Sunday, got picked up and taken to the hotel, Monday morning I was taken to the hospital, had all the pre-op tests done, and then I was in for my surgery by 11am. Phoned home that evening to let my husband know everything went well. I was not sick, sore, burpy or any of the other complaints that I have been hearing about from other people. In fact the 2 other Dr. Kelly patients on my floor felt really good too. I can't say the same for the patients of the other doctor. After the leak test on Wednesday morning I was taken back to the hotel to stay until I was to catch my return flight home in a couple of days. Dr. Kelly even came to the hotel just to check on me and have a visit. You would never get that kind of treatment in any Canadaian or U.S. hospital.

Pack light, you really don't need anything more than pj's and casual clothes. A laptop came in very handy, as you have wi-fi in the hotel and the hospital. I brought my Good luck!

lIphone too, so I could "face chat" with my husband. (just remember to get an international plan for the thime you are there)

Doctor information you might want : Dr. Ramos-Kelly

jrkelly45@hotmail.com

Office Phone: 619-793-4869

web site: www.wlsclinic.com

I hope this has helped you with your questions. If you want to ask me anything, you can email me at lightburn@shaw.ca

Just joined the forum today. Thank you for all of the information that I have been picking up. I have been emailing Nina who works for Dr. Aceves but I think after reading this thread I might check out Dr.'s Garcia and Kelly too. Thanks everyone. :)

Does anybody have any input on Dr. Ortiz at the Obesity Control Center? Where is this Dr. Garcia located? I am scared to go to Mexico but the reality is that if I have a complication, my insurance won't cover it no matter what. Does anybody have any advice on being scared of Mexico? :)

Hi: I traveled alone from Boston, MA to Mexicali to have my VSG done with the fabulous Dr. Aceves, who has professional credentials that are comparable to anyone local, plus he has done over 1300 VSGs, as compared to my local surgeons who had a couple dozen only.. He was not the least expensive of the Mexican doctors, but I was traveling so far I needed to make sure I would get the best care I could find. His staff was exemplary in how responsive and how compassionate they were. I met with both Dr. Aceves & his surgical assistant Dr. Campos every day during my 4 day stay, except the last one because I left so early to head back to San Diego. The anesthesiologist spent time with me before & after the surgery too. I was very happy to stay at the immaculate, well-run Almater Hospital for 3 nights, with round-the-clock care. I had 3 leak tests prior to being discharged and had not a minute of nausea or pain- just the discomfort from being blown up with gas and I was able to work through that by walking. I had my own private hospital room and bath with a couch and chair. It was very comfortable. I had free wif at the hospital, so I spent lots of time looking at this forum as I recovered. That's my personal experience. I have had a fabulous recovery in the past 5 weeks and would recommend Dr. Aceves to anyone. After spending umpteen hours on this forum it is clear that many people had great experiences with many different Mexican doctors. Good luck with making this decision.

• hello I was right behind shoelover she actually calmed me when I seen how good she was doing needless to say I had surgery it was a breeze no pain no complications nothing had nausea one time they quickly fixed that I was feeling like I hadnt even had surgery i had to look at my stomach to make sure it was done...The nurses was very attentive...always checking on me. stayed at the marroitt which was very nice the room was so peaceful and clean all in all Dr Fernando Garcia Govea gets an A+ in my book some say he's new......but he knew his stuff and i had a painless surgery...he even took a picture of my stomach that was removed because my friend was scared to. I am glad I choose him.... I am 8 days post surgery and have had no issues....Good Luck.....as for Tijuana I felt totally safe I even walked to store after my surgery its a pretty place. nothing like I expected given what you hear about mexico

Thanks everyone... did anyone have a hard time at the boarder? I am thinking of going to the obesity center with Dr. V... booked by Sheri Bruke, but the picture of the center looks pretty drab and depressing. but the price is under 5,000, so I guess that is the pay off, I am struggling on 'should I pay the extra and stay in the hospital?" $900 more, but this isn't open heart surgery...any thoughts?

i personally would stay in the hospital, but that is me, i just feel if by chance something should go wrong, faster response, everything is there that you may need, also cleanliness, not saying that clinics are not sterile, I guess it all depends what u r comfortable with, also the old saying you get what u pay for, sometime the least is not always better, just do your homework on what you decide , i have 6 days to go and getting nervous,,

I am nervous about the difference that seem to exist between different surgeons and hospitals. Dr. Garcia's group keep you there for most of the week, while in Newport Beach it literally is an outpatient procedure!! The surgeons in Newport also do not use staples, so I'm not sure about the differences there either (staples vs. sutures). I am going to email Dr. Kelly myself and see what he has to say since I am considering their group anyway. The only way I've found Kelly or Garcia is through a Medical Tourism site - does anybody have any comments about that????