Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Gone To Mexico To Be Sleeved?

I went to Dr. Kelly and it was the best decision I've ever made. I would do it again in a heartbeat and staying in a hospital and not a clinic was peace of mind for me. My dad and daughter went with me but I would have been fine by myself. My daughter is now considering the sleeve and will also go to Dr. Kelly. I wouldn't trust my child to just anyone but I would trust her to Dr. Kelly and his staff. I was only 257 to start with and in just under 4 months I am 197 today. I've never lost 60 pounds in 4 months on my own.

Are any of you scared of the other stuff being said about Dr. Kelly? That a patient died under his care (I know that can happen)? But I'm also concerned about this whole drama stuff, that a US coordinator quit working for him, etc etc? Can anybody comment on that? I was getting set to go with Dr. Kelly and still considering it but this stuff has me a little scared...

I will say I was and am thoroughly impressed with his phone call to me yesterday and the follow up with his staff, but that doesn't mean it's legit and good... so more input helps. :)

Are any of you scared of the other stuff being said about Dr. Kelly? That a patient died under his care (I know that can happen)? But I'm also concerned about this whole drama stuff' date=' that a US coordinator quit working for him, etc etc? Can anybody comment on that? I was getting set to go with Dr. Kelly and still considering it but this stuff has me a little scared...

I will say I was and am thoroughly impressed with his phone call to me yesterday and the follow up with his staff, but that doesn't mean it's legit and good... so more input helps. :)[/quote']

I am scheduled with Dr Kelly next Friday. My sister and I are both being sleeved on the same day. I can let you know how it goes. I am super nervous as well! DD

It is true that Dr Kelly had a death but that can happen to any doctor. I did not go with Dr Kelly but choose Dr F Garcia. I was more than impressed with Dr Garcia, his entire surgical staff and Hospital MI. I have nothing against any of the other doctors. I guess that it come down to a comfort factor for most. I gues you can chat with those who have surgeries with several different doctors. I have not heard of any other deaths but who knows how much information is really released. As for the coordinators I have no idea but I was comfortable with my coordinator Linda. I guess that it is a personal choice all around. Wishing you all the best on your surgeon choice and your surgery.

Please pm me if you want to know what I have heard yesterday about Dr. Kelly, and after hearing it I have changed my mind about using him.

It is true that Dr Kelly had a death but that can happen to any doctor. I did not go with Dr Kelly but choose Dr F Garcia. I was more than impressed with Dr Garcia, his entire surgical staff and Hospital MI. I have nothing against any of the other doctors. I guess that it come down to a comfort factor for most. I gues you can chat with those who have surgeries with several different doctors. I have not heard of any other deaths but who knows how much information is really released. As for the coordinators I have no idea but I was comfortable with my coordinator Linda. I guess that it is a personal choice all around. Wishing you all the best on your surgeon choice and your surgery.

Hi, I am thinking of going with Dr. Garcia at Hospital MI, do you mind telling me how long the ride was from San Diego? And how early they took you to the airport after surgery?

Thanks so much!!

I arrived Sunday morning around 10am and I was picked up immediately by the driver. I would guess that is was about a 30 minute ride from the airport to the hotel. The driver got me checked into my room at the hotel and gave me his number to call if any questions. I went out and did a little street shopping on Sunday afternoon and then went to bed early Sunday evening as they picked me up at 8am on Monday morning and took me to the Hospital. I had all of my preop, and my scope as I had a lapband that was removed and then the sleeve performed. The cardiologist came into my room and did the EKG and said everything looked good. They did my blood work and when all was back and my scope was done I was cleared for surgery and went that same day.

I was released Wednesday afternoon back to the hotel. I know that some people have gone back to San Diego and stay in the US for a couple of days before flying home. This way if you should have a problem you are close and not half way across the country. I stayed in Tijuana at the hotel Wednesday night and Thursday night and on Friday morning around 8 am Hector came and picked me up at the hotel to take me back to the San Diego airport to catch my flight back to Iowa. They have a special permit to get you across the border by going into a special line so that you do not have to sit for 2 hours waiting to cross. It was very fast and convenient to have this. I checked in at the airport and waited for my flight to board and then on home. Any other questions you might have just ask.

Please pm me if you want to know what I have heard yesterday about Dr. Kelly, and after hearing it I have changed my mind about using him.

At this point I have my tickets and my surgery is paid for. Rumors are not going to help me at this point. In fact I switched from Dr Garcia after reading Lacie's story on here. I really just want to get this behind me.

I arrived Sunday morning around 10am and I was picked up immediately by the driver. I would guess that is was about a 30 minute ride from the airport to the hotel. The driver got me checked into my room at the hotel and gave me his number to call if any questions. I went out and did a little street shopping on Sunday afternoon and then went to bed early Sunday evening as they picked me up at 8am on Monday morning and took me to the Hospital. I had all of my preop, and my scope as I had a lapband that was removed and then the sleeve performed. The cardiologist came into my room and did the EKG and said everything looked good. They did my blood work and when all was back and my scope was done I was cleared for surgery and went that same day.

I was released Wednesday afternoon back to the hotel. I know that some people have gone back to San Diego and stay in the US for a couple of days before flying home. This way if you should have a problem you are close and not half way across the country. I stayed in Tijuana at the hotel Wednesday night and Thursday night and on Friday morning around 8 am Hector came and picked me up at the hotel to take me back to the San Diego airport to catch my flight back to Iowa. They have a special permit to get you across the border by going into a special line so that you do not have to sit for 2 hours waiting to cross. It was very fast and convenient to have this. I checked in at the airport and waited for my flight to board and then on home. Any other questions you might have just ask.

I see Dr. Garcia charges $5000, does that include so many days in the hotel?

Thanks,

I see Dr. Garcia charges 5000' date=' does that include so many days in the hotel?

Thanks,[/quote']

Yes it does I was Dr. Garcia patient as well and that's about how it went for me as well I also read Lacie's story almost changed my mind but I went and had quite a different experience I'm so glad I stuck to my decision.... there was a lot said about It but I couldn't have chosen a better place to have my surgery they were genuinely concerned for our care. The place wasn't nasty it was clean I was very comfortable in my room and my best friend is very picky she only do 5 star hotels and she had no complaints as a matter of fact she making plan now to have hers done there I have footage of the hospital that I'm going to post to my YouTube in the next couple of days of you want to watch I'm andkel30 on there as well....a lot of the people that I was there with has posted so I'm not just exaggerating like shoelover newbeginings lily.... good luck with your choice

I am in Mexico right now, I just had surgery yesterday with dr Garcia. Everyone has treated me extremely well since I stepped out of the airport. I am feeling really good right now, I don't regret my decision at all, just wish I had done it sooner.

Hi shoelover,

Did you go the the Mi hospital? I am thinking of Dr. Garcia as well, did thay have internet there and would you take somthing like a laptop there and feel comfortable that it would not be taken?

Just wondering, hope you are awesome!

Hi shoelover' date='

Did you go the the Mi hospital? I am thinking of Dr. Garcia as well, did thay have internet there and would you take somthing like a laptop there and feel comfortable that it would not be taken?

Just wondering, hope you are awesome![/quote']

She was at Mi hospital the Internet worked great at the hospital and hotel... While in the hospital that's all my friend did was watch Netflix movies so it works really good I suggest Netflix because nothing good was on tv and most channels are in Spanish....most that didn't come with some one had their important things locked away by the staff...

Hi Andkel!!! I went to Hospital MI alone, and I brought my laptop. I didn't lock my belongings up, and there was no problem. I spent a lot of time out of my room visiting with other people, and I was never once worried about my belongings.

Hi Andkel!!! I went to Hospital MI alone' date=' and I brought my laptop. I didn't lock my belongings up, and there was no problem. I spent a lot of time out of my room visiting with other people, and I was never once worried about my belongings.[/quote']

Hey how's it going......are you still on the liquids are have you tried something new these commercials killing me.....lol

I was sleeved 2/6/12 by Dr. Alvarez and couldn't be more happy with the choice I made to go across the border. The process was quick. 35 min surgery and on point recovery. I was up and walking 5 hours after surgery and the next was a breeze. His staff was very helpfull especially Jessica who felt like a younger sister taking care of a sick brother. We even had a super bowl party. The hardest part of going to Mexico is explaining to others why you are going there. They always assume you will return missing a kidney or your having it done at a vets office. The majority of people are just uneducated on the truth. For instance Costa Rica is ranked #1 in healthcare by the World Health Org. Did you know that? You can die on an operating table just as easy in the US as you can in Mexico.