Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My fill surgeon just told me....

This is so right about not pushing that stuck feeling, I to am guilty of this and I know I'm suppose to stop but I have such a hard time. It would be nice to have a little support team for this too.

sunflower

Hey Miper70,

I was banded the same day by Dr. Ortiz and I am in exactly the same boat as you. I started out with a lower BMI, it was 33. I was 200 pounds the day of surgery. I have lost a total of 12 pounds that I can keep off. I go down a few but then come back to that same 12 pounds.

I have had two fills. The first I received 2 cc's however when I went for my second fill Dr. Romano could only pull back 1.8. My second fill he gave me more and I am up to 2.4. However I am still not loosing. I will be going back for my third fill in a week or so but I am hoping that it will kick in at week 2.

Don't give up!!!! it is just a mater of time before we find our "sweet spot" but please know you are not alone.

Cutie Kel,

You were there the same day as me? How cool is that!!!!!!

I go in for barium swallow or upper GI Monday to see if anything is wrong and to prove I am not at optimal level. I hope and pray that this changes things....I can get more fill and get to losing.

Have you lost anymore weight?

Molly - That is sound advice. I like that " if you are happy to sit down and eat Protein & produce, not just carbs or junk food -- then you probably aren't filled enough." statement. Getting banded Aug 16th and hope to remember that. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Miper, you admit to eating junk food, eating out a lot with the kids, and eating despite the "stuck" feeling. All of those things are what you're not supposed to do. Junk food goes down very easily, is packed with empty calories and doesn't keep you full.

Start planning your meals, drink Water, track your caloric intake and measure out your portions. I force myself to measure out a cup of Cereal because I'm used to filling the bowl and that's nearly 2 cups. Eat until you're satisfied and not full. You CAN do it.

This is not meant to be mean, but you need to pay attention to yourself and what you are doing.

Well, you can't not eat correctly and then complain about it. I expect someone told you going into this that you can't eat junk food and you can't eat just easy food. That is probably an explanation for slow weight loss.

The stuck feeling. Someone on this forum touts aloe vera juice and also meat tenderizer to help break loose the logjam. I haven't tried it yet.

It really does help to drink something hot before eating. Kind of relaxes the stoma. I suggest you go back to basics. Sooth your stomach and stoma with some nice blended protein-rich Soups, etc., for a couple of days, and then start over with small bites of Protein first (lube with sauces), then veggies. You don't have to do much cooking in the heat to eat healthy foods. You do need to pay attention. {{{hugs}}}

This is definitely NOT what I wanted to hear AND the only reason I admitted it to begin with (a while ago) was to be honest with everyone AND myself. That certainly DOES NOT mean I am not eating right most of the time...... I do. BUT and this is a BIG but......when you do eat right and exercise and the weight doesn't come off.......people tend to get fed up. I was there....am there....and frustrated as hell. I have a doc who tells me I'm getting full after two bites and people always telling me what I should and should not do. I don't need to be told not to eat junk food. I haven't really eaten junk food in 15 years. So I got a little frustrated and fell off the wagon.....

This post was not about not losing at all. I just threw that in there. I needed to know what it feels like to be at optimum level.

If I measure out a cup of food and eat it, I'll be looking for more food in an hour. I'm glad you have that kind of willpower if you're not at optimum level, but I don't.

I've been having that stuck feeling alot since my last fill. I've even PB'd after a bite or two. I never even thought about the "syndrome" being what was going on. I thought my fill was too much, but after the PB or the stuck feeling is over, I'm able to eat the rest of my meal.

I swear by the warm liquids before you eat.

Try it and let us know if it works. I just keep a gallon of green tea (Arizona) in the fridge and warm up a small cup before eating. Works every time.

This is definitely NOT what I wanted to hear AND the only reason I admitted it to begin with (a while ago) was to be honest with everyone AND myself. That certainly DOES NOT mean I am not eating right most of the time...... I do. ..... I haven't really eaten junk food in 15 years. So I got a little frustrated and fell off the wagon.....I'm glad you have that kind of willpower if you're not at optimum level, but I don't.
Also, i must say that i have not lost any weight since the first month of being banded back in April. I did lose about 6-7 lbs. after my last fill, then gained it all back. I'm the only person he sees that is not losing weight. HELP!!!!
I take alot of responsibility for not losing the weight like I should. I have not been exercising like I should AND eating more junk than i should. My kids and I have done alot of eating out during the summer also (who wants to cook in this Florida heat), so that's coming to a halt. Even with all of this going on, I think I should be losing something. I'm eating WAY less than I used to.

Excuse me. It sure looked to me like you were asking for help.

Adding more protien shakes is not the answer. The band is not desiged to force you onto a liquid diet.

It sounds like you have first bite syndrome, where you get stuck after a bite or two. This is NOT you being full, it is your stoma going into spasm. Not a good or happy place to be.

Try to have something hot to drink before you eat your meal.

Have you tracked your calories, and what are you currently getting in? This will help us figure out what's going on, hopefully.

Of course, you could be like me. (yes, I know that strikes terror in the heart of any sensible person...)

yeah what she said. :(