Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew ~ August Chat

Hey everyone! I'm like a lot of you out there, not really staying in touch. But I have to share my week with you...I finally hit the 40lb mark this week and have had to dig to find old clothes that fit. What a wonderful thing to do. My pants size isn't moving as fast as I would like but I heard from someone that you gain weight from bottom up and lose weight from the top down. I totally believe it. I have dropped from a 3x shirt to an XL but I'm only down from a 26/28 to a 24 pant. Anyway, it's coming off and I'm only 6 lbs from my Sept challenge.

I went for my 3rd fill on Monday and I am now up to 7cc in a 12cc band. I was at 5cc for over a month and really struggled because I could eat anything and as much as I wanted. When the doc's nurse asked me how much it took to fill me up, I replied that I haven't been full. She gave me an additional 2cc and then had me sit up and gave me 3 more and a cup of Water to drink. My chest hurt when I swallowed so she took the extra 3 out and I'm thinking it is just perfect for now. I haven't ever pb'd or even had heartburn. So far since Monday, I have been a bit afraid to eat but everything has gone down okay, but I certainly feel the restriction now. And I must say, I can tell when I need to slow down and not eat too fast.

Congrats to everyone who has cleaned their closet recently. I find it interesting that we have all hung onto our "skinny" clothes til they are out of style! It's like we all knew that someday we'd need those clothes. And praise God we do need them! Keep up the good work everyone!!!

Hello everyone,:) Sorry I haven't updated in awhile, Life is so busy.:P I still come here daily to see how all of you are doing. It sounds like everyone is doing so good. I feel really good about my wieght loss and level of resriction. had my second fill on August 4th, I think the Dr added another 1 cc so am at 3.25 in my 5cc band. Went on vacation the following week,:clap2: and only lost two pounds, But was able to eat just about everything that I tried, this week I can really tell that I have restriction. It feels really nice, to eat and know I won't be hungry for 3 hours.:P I still morn food a little, some days are worse than others. Congrats to everyone, and for those of you that are stuggling, keep the faith, It will be so worth it in the end. Updated my tickers, both total and sept. challenge. Everyone have a great day.

Goodmorning fellow Maysters!!

Has anyone has in their opinion reached perfect restriction? Restriction w/consistent loss. I'm getting frustrated, admitting that patience is a lifelong lesson for me. Having a recent and first fill of 2.9cc (5cm band) that worked great for a couple of weeks, I feel very little restriction now just in the morning. That is all I had just after banding. Is this what fills are like? Was that restriction just from swelling? Veterans and newbies- ALL opinions/info is appreciated.:help:

I have not reached perfect restriction yet. I am close and and much better, but I go for my 3rd fill on Sept 1 and hope that will do it.

Hey everyone!

Julie T- I'm in the very same boat as you- started out at 223, hanging out at 207 actually getting kind of discouraged. I went for my first fill yesterday- got 4cc in my 10cc band- (also wondering why mine is so big when we started out the same wt?) any hoo- I'm on liquids today and quite hungry- is that normal? should I be feeling the restriction right away? all you veterans out there, please help! how soon should I be worried that I don't have enough fill? The fill itself was actually quite painless and easy, the staff at the Fill Center in Pocatello were very nice-

you're all doing great- there's a reason I come here for inspiration!

Have a great day!

Kato

Kato & Violet,

Restriction comes with fills (it sometimes takes a few) and gets less with weight loss. Unfortunately there's no magic formula. Even when you hit that "sweet spot," it only remains sweet until you lose some of the fat in your stomach organ and the band loosens up as a result. It's actually a good thing for restriction to lessen over time. It means you're doing something right.

Violet - Your doctor does not want you to feel restriction with liquids--that would mean you're too tight. You might want to try some thicker liquids and see if that helps with your hunger. You will notice the restriction when you start eating regular foods. I know it takes some people several fills to get good restriction for the first time. Sometimes it takes a few days for people to feel their restriction (I know that doesn't make sense but that's what I've experienced).

Most docs will give you another fill after two weeks so if you still dont' feel enough restriction after a week, call and make another appointment.

Meanwhile hang in there! When I am feeling less restriction I just try to increase my vegetable intake. That way I get filled up w/o increasing my calories too much.

Hello fellow losers!!! I'm reporting in for the Sept Challenge. Would you believe I stayed the same?!? :) Man, I thought for sure I would report at least the pound I lost last week. It is my TOM, but this is getting old. I talked to my surgeon's office and scheduled my first fill. I'm keeping my original follow-up for 9-18 and getting a fill at the same time. WAIT, I'm going to call them back and schedule it sooner. Why wait? It's time for my first fill. I have been playing with the same few lbs for weeks now. Can't wait to feel "real" restriction.

I do have an NSV though......I'm now wearing some of my smaller sexier bras. Why do the boobs go first? I hope to wear my Victoria's Secret soon. They are my favorite. :biggrin1:

Alicia ~ Way to go!!! You are a braver woman than I am. Keep us updated on your training. I started at the Y and will enjoy it more now with my Ipod. :P

Hey Kim, where do you stand on a fill?

Oops....I'm out of time. Need to leave for swim lessons. Where does the time go?

Great job everyone!!! Thanks for keeping me motivated!!!

Hey all.... Just checking in for the September Challenge. I am down 2 more pounds this week... that brings me to a total of 13 pounds lost since the challenge began. To reach my goal of 222 I still need to lose 17 pounds in 5 weeks! Ack! That's just over 3 pounds a week, dunno if that's gonna happen but I'll keep truckin' along!

Peace.

Hi Kato

A little note on why your band is bigger. My band is also bigger, a 12cc capacity. From what I could gather on the net, it all has to do with your BMI before surgery, the thickness of your stomach wall and where you carry your weight. My BMI was 49 and I carry all my weight around my middle. Yeah, I look like a potato on toothpick legs! It doesn't really matter what the size is, the fills are usually of the same percentage as those with a smaller band. When my friend got her first fill of 1.5cc in a 5cc band, I got a 4cc fill in my 12cc band.

Drews & Linda ~ You both are making me jealous!!! What a tremendous job you have been doing on the Sept Challenge. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: I came home and weighed after my workout and lost 1 lb somehow....maybe sweat?? Oh well, I'm convinced I need a fill. I was on hold for the receptionist today when a call beeped in and it was my mom so I answered and didn't get to call them today to schedule a fill. I'm getting excited b/c this will be my first. I'm a "fill virgin". I will be able to understand the term "sweet spot".

How is everyone else doing on their Sept Challenge? There is not one person that could be doing worse than I am.....speak up and let us know how you all are doing.

On a side note about laminate flooring......I would definitely pay for installation if you are able. It looks so nice and it much easier to keep clean than the carpet. We still have some planks lay to finish the living room. We have just been too busy to get it done. Nothing like starting a project only to finish 2 wks later. That's home improvement for you.

I'm now wearing some of my smaller sexier bras. Why do the boobs go first?

Oh if only that were true for all of us. I have a D cup, and they've gotten a bit smaller. I'm the kind of person whose weight gain/loss is spread pretty evenly all over my body. But I know that when I reach my goal weight, I will probably still be a D or a very full C. I would LOVE to be a B cup, but I think I'd have to get down around 115 for that to happen. I'm 5'7" so I don't know if that would even be possible.

Hi Kato - Hopefully we'll both get to that ideal fill level soon, and then going through the surgery and everything will seem like the best thing we ever did! That's what a friend's fiance told me, two years after she had the lap band surgery - she was at her goal weight. I need to call her and find out if she went through this long stretch of frustration before getting to a good fill level.

I'm still trying to get a reply from the doc as to whether I can get another fill now, rather than having to wait another month...it's a 6-hour round-trip drive to go in for a visit, so don't want to make an appointment if getting a fill isn't possible.

Regarding whether it's normal to feel hungry when all you're able to consume is liquids - yes!!! The only time that I wasn't hungry when on liquids only was the first few days after the surgery, and presumably that's because there was so much swelling.

Well, hopefully in 3-6 months we'll both be losing weight steadily and happy as clams:-) (where does that expression come from? hmmm...the only other expression that comes to mind is "happy as a pig in sh*t", but I don't think either of us wants to relate to that one, either the "pig" part or the "sh*t" part (don't know what the rules are here re profanity, hence the use of asterisk) Okay, I'm off on a tangent....better go back to work!:-)

Keep us posted, Kato!

Glad to hear about you. My weight is hovering between 207-202 also. I have very little restriction except chicken breast. This week I started to used the gym facility at work. I started out walking on the tread mill for 45 minutes. I have progressed to the eliptical glider. Believe it or not I actually worked up a sweat. I plan to 'work out' at least 4 times a week. I have scheduled a 2nd fill on the 26th of this month. I will keep you posted.

GRay

currently 207/goal 140

September 15th goal 197 (yes I hope to have the 200's behind me in September)

to cancel my fill appointment on Friday. I swear my restriction has lessened each day and now my doctor is on vacation and I can't see him until September 1.

Oh well, I just need to follow my own advice and eat more fruit and vegetables. I knew how to lose weight before being banded and I can do it now. The band just makes it easier, not effortless by any means. Ok, enough crying and on with my life! :nervous

Hey Guys! Sorry I haven't checked in lately, my work has been crazy and I'm trying to get ready to head to the beach! I have dropped a little more weight, but I definitely need my first fill. I've been working out three days a week with the exercise physiologist classes that were included in the price of the surgery. I really like it! We do about 30 minutes of cardio (tread mill, stationary recumbent bike and rowing machine), then I do all kinds of free weights and weight machines... It takes about an hour and 20 minutes, but its fun and I can tell that my body is changing! Woo Hoo! Luckily the condo that we are staying at in Destin has a full gym so I'll get to workout on vacation! I hope everyone is doing well, I have been skimming this thread from time to time and it sounds like you are all racing towards your goals! Keep up the good work!

3loves - My first fill will be August 29th, and boy do I need it!

Lynda - I know what you mean, seems like the day after I postponed my original fill date, the hungar monster attacked! I'm not really eating that much more, just giving in to carb cravings! EEK! Don't worry, September 1 will be here soon enough! Keep up the great work!