Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm So Scared Of Being Hungry!

Help! My biggest fear is being hungry. I'm having my surgery on March 2nd, and have literally tried changing how much I eat over the past week, and I feel as though I'm STARVING. I get headaches, feel tired, and my entire body starts to hurt. Is this some sort of food withdraw? I'm not even cutting down drastically, just a little. Am I alone in this? I'm scared I'll feel this way during pre-op and initial post-op. Any advice, or sharing your own stories would be most helpful.

Pre-op I think you will feel hungry I know I do. But there are ways to cope. Post-op, I don't think you'll feel the physical hunger -there's not a whole lot of room down there to be hungry anymore :)

I am hungry - and that's my biggest fear - I was literally starved as a child out of cruelty, so it weighs on me. I've dealt with the head issues, so now its just the physical aspect of it. I'm getting through it. If I can, you can :) I promise, its not as bad as it sounds!

One thing that works for me is to get up in the morning and drink tons and tons of Water. This makes me feel full and I postpone my Breakfast as long as possible. I move my meais to later in the day and use broths and Jello to get me through between - all of this with lots of Water have really made this not so bad. I won't say its easy, but I will say its going to be worth it :)

I have just the opposite problem since my surgery. I very rarely feel hungery at all, and I forget to eat. So I have to be pretty vigilant to make sure I'm getting my nutrients, etc. So I think you might be surprised. I felt much more hungry before surgery.

Of course, there are times when I just want to eat something because it seems like it would be good. But I don't feel hungry -- just my mind playing tricks on me.

Good luck!

I felt the same way! Before the sleeve, my hunger was always my down fall which led me to falling off the wagon diet. Now? TOTALLY different story. I'm almost 4 weeks out and do not have hunger pains, cravings, and can barely even smell food (when i do, its no big deal...so weird!) It's more like my stomach is saying, "Hey, when you get a second, could you slowly drink or eat something that wont hurt me, feeling kind empty in this little space". No more "I'm starving!" feeling as of yet. Everyone is different, but do practice making good food choices and drink LOTS of water! Best of luck, you're future is just around the corner!!!

I still feel hungry after surgery, but it's nowhere near the insane, half-crazed "I'M STARVING" signals my body was giving off beforehand. I know a lot of it had to do with low blood sugar and dehydration, because I had a really bad habit of getting so involved in something that I'd forget to eat until I literally couldn't ignore it anymore and swallowed anything that was nearby, in huge quantities. Of course then I would be feeling sick, and go into a carb coma, leading to an insulin spike, then low blood sugar... ad nauseum.

One of the blessings of this surgery for me has been being forced to re-learn how to eat... in smaller quantites, at regular intervals, and be more diligent about fluids and Vitamins. It's been hard, and there's been MANY times when I got mad at myself/my stomach/the world because I was tired of doing the work and I wanted a break for awhile, where I could eat what & whenever I wanted and in whatever quantity I wanted. I wanted to eat mindlessly again, which was obviously soothing for some reason. It's been hard finding an alternative comfort mechanism.

I'm still interested in food, and I still taste things normally (things were a bit off for the first month, like bleu cheese dressing turned my stomach), but on more of an abstract level. I've always enjoyed cooking, but now I cook in smaller quantities, and use smaller pots and pans.

I felt the same way. Even though most people don't feel hungry after surgery. However some do. Whether that is head hunger or real hunger. But most people don't.

Also know that as time goes on, some of that hunger feeling does come back, I've been told.

I'm 3 months out, tomorrow. And I do get a bit hungry now and it is not head hunger. I think it is because I had to go on prednisone for an RA flare I am having. It's controllable. I'm still eating less than 900 calories a day and I watch and log what I eat. :smile1:

Just try to stay positive!

Definitely don't feel the same type of hunger, nor the same intensity. I do feel hunger, but it's more like described above, like sleevie is saying, "Let's have something," but it's not a desperate, gnawing hunger. I don't forget to eat, but on busy days (like today), I don't even think about food until I have a little down time.

You really will feel different after surgery--the combination of a smaller stomach and less hunger hormone is a great help. Don't panic--if you do feel hungry, you will be able to eat. There will be food available when you need/want it.

Just like some of the posters above, I do get hungry but it takes a little bit of food to satisfy it and that, to me is miraculous. I was a volume eater. In regards to pre-op, I understand your worries. I was lucky not to get one, but before I was told, I was really concerned about hunger during those 2 weeks. Perhaps you can search on this website for tips. I really don't know why you are feeling tired, get headaches and hurt if you are only reducing a bit. Try tracking everything on myfitnesspal (or other website), perhaps that can shed some light. Best wishes!

I had that same fear prior to surgery, strongly. I still have that fear, but it is minimal now. I'm one week out from surgery and definitely don't feel hungry. I am thirsty all the time though and so as instructed I sip Water often. The part of the stomach that is removed is the area that produces the hunger hormone, so having that gone, it is so incredibly helpful.

"Hungry" post surgery for me means I haven't eaten in too long. Usually a mini babybel cheese or a couple of ounces of chicken fixes me right up. During the pre-op diet, all I can tell you is that you may have to dig into your willpower for the first couple of days. But, it's SO worth it!!

Good luck!!

Yes, for most people hunger post op is totally different. I used to eat a huge meal of Pasta, breadsticks and salad, completely stuffing myself. Then I'd come home and within two hours I'd have my head in the fridge again because my stomach was growling!

I'd drop off of every diet plan (WW, Nutrisystem, MediFast) because the around the clock feeling that I was starving got to be too much.

Post op, eating was a real struggle for several months. It took me months to reach my nutritional goals every day. And now, 18 months out, I can have a day where I feel like all I did was eat the whole day long...only to find that once I've tracked my calories I've had less than 900 calories for the entire day.

I never really get hungry anymore. Most people don't, so the odds are in your favor. And if you do have to battle the hunger? At least you'll be doing it with only 15% of your stomach, with the ability to just binge on foods all day gone.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery. I think your fears are normal. Even post op I had days where I wondered if I'd be the first person to totally fail the sleeve. We all worry, but we all lose the weight, too.

~Cheri

OMG! I had done these things too. Now I'm happy to be me. I do get hungry and right now my stomach is gurgling. LOL. I thought that I was eating around 1100 calories but discovered after looking at Myfitness pal, I'm only gettin around 900. But I do feel better than 600. This is the best thing that's happened too me. ;)

Yes, for most people hunger post op is totally different. I used to eat a huge meal of Pasta, breadsticks and salad, completely stuffing myself. Then I'd come home and within two hours I'd have my head in the fridge again because my stomach was growling!

I'd drop off of every diet plan (WW, Nutrisystem, MediFast) because the around the clock feeling that I was starving got to be too much.

Post op, eating was a real struggle for several months. It took me months to reach my nutritional goals every day. And now, 18 months out, I can have a day where I feel like all I did was eat the whole day long...only to find that once I've tracked my calories I've had less than 900 calories for the entire day.

I never really get hungry anymore. Most people don't, so the odds are in your favor. And if you do have to battle the hunger? At least you'll be doing it with only 15% of your stomach, with the ability to just binge on foods all day gone.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery. I think your fears are normal. Even post op I had days where I wondered if I'd be the first person to totally fail the sleeve. We all worry, but we all lose the weight, too.

~Cheri

You sound like me! Wow, I thought I was alone in this. I hope the hunger goes away after the surgery. I only have to do the pre-op for 2 weeks, and that alone scares me. Pasta.....mmmmmm....that sounds so good!