Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Double-up On Protein Powder / Reduce The Water

I was just sleeved on Thursday. I stressed about getting in enough Protein, calories, and Water ....like everyone else. I have found that if I pre-mix all my Protein Drinks in the AM - that I don't spend the day calculating and hurrying to fit in all my required intake. I also reduce the amount of water that I add by at least half. It doesn't seem like a chore to finish it, and I still can get in all the water that I need. Lucky for me, I don't mind having the same thing allllll day long. I may throw in a Tomato Soup or chocolate shake for an evening treat. It's working for me so far. : )

Hey, there you are. I was wondering how you were doing. I think you went in the same day as Pookeyism. How's the pain?

My pain is minimal. I actually feel like it should be worse .... So that I don't overdo. It was rough on Thursday and Friday. I was incredibly nauseous. I believe that it was just a result of the anesthetics. I feel great now, am able to get in all my Proteins and Water, and have minimal discomfort. Very lucky from what I've read. How about you? I hope that it is going as well for you.

My Protein shakes call for 8 oz of Water and an envelope of Protein shake mix. This not only gives me 8 oz of fluids but also only 100 calories and 14g of Protein per shake. If I have 5 a day that is 70 g protein, 500 calories and 40 oz of Fluid. This leaves me short on Fluid so I drink some Water and also some diet cranberry juice that has 0 calories.

I guess my questions is why are you cutting back on the water when you need to get all of your fluids in each day. I think the more fluids that you can take in the better off you are as this will also reduce light headedness as it will keep more fluids in your system and keep you from becoming dehydrated.

And since you are only a few days out from surgery I would not worry about getting your max Protein. I do not think that I came close to getting all of the required protein during my first week post op for sure and maybe not even in my second week. Did everyone else get all their protein immediately post op.

I don't know why I do that, it just helps me feel more at ease if I know that I can "knock out" the Protein requirement easier. I still get in my Water, as well. 6 of one, half a dozen of another, I guess. It seems easier for me to drink water. The protein stuff is a bit more filling, and a bit more of a chore. I figured if I doubled up, I could get it done and over with quicker.

My pain is minimal. I actually feel like it should be worse .... So that I don't overdo. It was rough on Thursday and Friday. I was incredibly nauseous. I believe that it was just a result of the anesthetics. I feel great now, am able to get in all my Proteins and Water, and have minimal discomfort. Very lucky from what I've read. How about you? I hope that it is going as well for you.

That's great! I hear a lot about the post op pain, and very few that say "it's not as bad as I thought." I'm 33 days away, so I'm watching everyone to get an idea of what to expect. I'll be on Clear liquids for the first week, so i won't have to worry about choking down Protein right away. I'm hoping to sound as well as you do!

Your topic says "double up on Protein powder". so are you doubling the powder or just reducing the Fluid?

I have read of several people who double up on their Protein powders (getting 50-60 grams per shake) to get it all in in one shake. It has been brought up several times that "Nutritionists and doctors have maintained for decades that "people can only digest 30 grams at a time of protein and any additional protein is wasted or converted to fat." . I haven't seen any research to back that up and don't have 100% confidence in everything the medical community says, but I think we are hear to learn to eat properly and healthily (is that a word).

If you are just reducing the Fluid, don't see anything wrong with that, would get it over with faster (personally would be happy if I never saw another Protein Shake again!)

I start the day out by mixing 3 full scoops of nectar - which contains 300 calories and 72 grams of Protein total - with about 15 oz. of Water, rather than the recommended 8-16 oz per scoop for the drink. I don't drink it all t once. I spread it out throughout the day. Sounds crazy, I know. It just helps me "account" for my intake and get all the rest in 3 bottles of water and maybe a shake or Tomato Soup for a few extra proteins/liquid. I just found that the shakes are really filling. Water goes down very easily. It all basically works out the same. It just helped me get it all in.