Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips For Protein Shakes?!

The only ones I like are the Inspire (from bariatriceating.com) and Click (from a Amazon.com). They are expensive, but they are twice as good as anything else I've tried.

I am not far ahead of you just two weeks post-op and not liking the shakes either. I have tried Muscle Milk and it is ok but I still find it sweet. A fellow patient gave me the idea to freeze them and he said they are more like ice cream tasting. I haven't had the opportunit to try that but am definately going to. I also found Soup mixes from BariatricChoice.com that contains 15g of Protein that is not too bad. They also have a product called New Whey Protein. They are 3.8oz tubes of pure protein. They contain 42g of protein. If you can handle the taste they are not too bad. It is much easier that doing two shakes and easier to get the protein in. They also sell it at GNC. Good luck!

Personally for me the best tasting shake ( 45g per container ) is the lean body brand. Has no sugar, low carb, lots of Protein. Their vanilla ice cream and rich chocolate flavors are very good. I've also tried the Atkins and although they taste ok they don't offer the high volume of protein like lean body does. Chike also makes decent tasting products.

I drink nectar brand Protein Powder. The chocolate truffle is the best. It has 23g Protein, no carbs, no sugar, and if only 100 calories. It mixes really well with Water and tastes good! I buy it on www.bariatricpantry.com or at the Vitamin Shoppe. Good luck

I am FINALLY getting all my Protein from food - and glad for it because I had an awful time with the shakes. I was able to tolerate the chocolate Premier ready-to-drink from costco for a while (let it get really cold) - since it was 30 grams protein in a fairly small portion. I got sick of it, though, and switched to just unflavored protein mixed with Decaf coffee, a little milk and Splenda. That was tolerable even though I could still taste the protein I could choke it down.

I couldn't get any shakes down the first 3 months. I would gag from the smell. Once I could drink them I didn't like the taste of anything I would try until just last month. A friend had me try the Body by Vi shakes. They are AMAZING!!!!!

hello

i am one of the lucky one that likes Protein shakes. i get the unjury vanilla.

my question is this - if i didn't get enough Protein in for the day with my foods, is it a problem to just have another shake, and i use skim milk so thats even more protein. i am 3 weeks post op. Just starting ounce of solid food per NUT. Can't wait to have 3 ounces per meal.

Anyways back to the protein, is it ok to add a Protein Shake to get enough for the day. Of course I would have the drink 30 minutes after the food. One more thing, do you use Protein Bars too.

thanx

kathy

Kathy, when I was in my first month I got very little Protein from food. I would have 2 shakes a day totaling 60 grams of protein, and I would usually only get about 15 grams more (if I was lucky) from what I was eating - since I could only have 2 oz at a time, 3 times a day. Also some of what I was eating didn't have protein (like applesauce).

Yes, Kathy, use Protein Shakes and bars to supplement Protein shortages from food.< /p>

My chocolate Protein shakes: skim milk, a dash of hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder, a dash of vanilla, 1 tbsp of Peanut Butter and 1/2 of a banana. I add a couple of milk cubes... (skim milk frozen in ice cube trays) SOOOO GOOOD!!

That is the ONLY way I can drink my Protein Shakes now. I am so OVER them.

I agree with PdxMan. The chocolate is the best and usually I only want vanilla. Premier's vanilla is too thick and sweet/rich for me, but the chocolate is yummy.

You can get some great samples if you go to the food section and the thread "places to order samples." The Syntrex nectar sample pack is a great deal and so is the Chike. People seem to really like both of those brands in all the flavors.

I agree the Premier from costco are great too. I don't have a costco here, but I pick them up when I am out of town.

I grudgingly have grown accustomed to the costco Premier Protein shakes, like PDXman, as my primary.

I got a ton of samples from Vitalady, and found the gaspari myofusion are my favorite samples.

I also like nectar Fuzzy Navel.

Pre-Op, I liked Isopure zero carb rtd drinks, and now I hate them. They make my mouth feel dry and the aftertaste really bugs me.

I think everybody has really different things that work for them.

I ordered some chike samples, waiting for those.

I have some click samples, and LOVE them, but they have caffeine, I realized, so I am not using the other one I have until much later.

Gaspari Myofusion Peanut Butter and chocolate is my absolute favorite. I get it at vitacost.com I get so much stuff there. Free shipping over 49.00 but i love the Oh Yeah

peanut butter/choc Protein bars so it's easy to make a $50.00 order.

My first few months post op, I could barely eat more than a few bites of food every day, so yes, I definitely supplemented with Protein drinks until I was able to eat more nomally.