Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips For Protein Shakes?!

Hi everyone. Today I am exactly on week out and have lost 14 pounds!! Can't believe it myself! But I am having a very hard time getting in my Protein during this liquid phase. I bought Protein Shakes but just can't stomach the taste! Any tips on how to make it taste better or which Proteins should I try??? Please help I'm probably only getting 10 grams a day....

I'm 3 weeks post-op now and was just like you. I couldn't stomach any Protein Drinks for the first 2 weeks on Clear Liquids. My Nut told me not to worry too much about getting in your Protein at this stage. Your main concern is getting in enough liquids to keep from dehydrating. I couldn't stand Water, kool-aide, or even any type of broth. The only thing that kept me alive was ice tea sweetened with stevia and homemade chicken or turkey broth. I couldn't stand the taste of the ones that came in a can so I boiled a turkey and a chicken and strained the broth off of them. Your tastebuds are going to be off for awhile. Mine came back about the middle of my second week and now my tastebuds seem back to normal. Hang in there! You will be through the liquid stage soon just keep hydrated!!!

Thanks!!! I was worried my hair would start falling out like next week! My taste buds are crazy everything tastes sooooo sweet! Even shakes. I've been living off also homemade broth and sugar free Popsicles. And good luck to u !!!!

theworldaccordingtoeggface has some good recipes. I use Herbalife shake mix and I think I've tried all the others. I think Herbalife is the best. I'm a distributor so I just order it online.

I found these pure Protein Shakes at GNC, they are the most tolerable I have had. Im alergic to milk so I need something that doesnt taste to milky. i buy the chocolate ones. 35 grams of Protein per can.

I had the same problem with Protein shakes being too sweet. I had a powder I loved pre-op and then I couldn't stomach them a week post-op. I tried many different brands, but they were all too sweet. I found Premium chocolate at costco which has been perfect for me. I see you are between two Costcos in Fredricksburg and Potomac Mills. Check them out. $24 for 18 of them and they have 30g of Protein per. The vanilla ones are good, too and I guess they have a strawberry, but we don't have them at my store.

Highly recommend.

As Frumpy said, early on, focus on the liquids, for sure. I have heard of many folks in the ER with an IV in their arm due to dehydration. If you don't meet quota, don't beat yourself up, just do better tomorrow.

I found one called Odwalla I really like. they have them here in the Kroger signature store in the natural foods section. The chocolate milk flavor has the most Protein in it.

I hated almost all the Protein shakes & was so happy when I got to solids and could get Protein from "real food". What got me through was powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup and Any whey unflavored protein (I got it from Amazon). I added the unflavored to Swiss Miss Diet Cocoa and it got me through. Just make sure that when you use Protein Powder that your Water does not get too hot. Otherwise the Protein Powder curdles and it is DISGUSTING!!!!!

Best of luck to you.

It was really great to be able to sample them in advance. My nutritionalist sponsors "tasting parties" and they handed out samples - I found I don't like most. Some of them are horrible and we all seem to have different tastes!

I like the premixed ones best - Premier Protein chocolate is probably my favorite.

For the powders, I really like the nectar ones, and you can order a sample pack for about $13 with no shipping charge. I like several of those flavors.

This is the instructions for the Protein powder "sample" order,

YOU CAN ONLY ORDER THESE BY PHONE. THEY ARE LIMITING ONE PER PERSON. IF YOU HAVE NUMEROUS PEOPLE IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD, YOU CAN PUT IN AN ORDER UNDER THEIR NAME AND CREDIT CARD. SYNTRAX'S PHONE NUMBER IS 1-866-333-7403. ASK FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE (THEY CLOSE AT 5P.M. CENTRAL TIME, I THINK)

theworldaccordingtoeggface has some good recipes. I use Herbalife shake mix and I think I've tried all the others. I think Herbalife is the best. I'm a distributor so I just order it online.

I have a couple of their shakes, but they only have 9 grams of Protein, which doesn't seem like enough. And more carbs than I want.

The Visalus shakes are AMAZING! I started them before I knew I was going to be able to have surgery. They have different flavor packets or you can go plain. Plain tastes like cake batter. They are great and not soooo expensive.

If you use the Protein powder, I think you have to use a electric hand mixer. The stuff I had said you can just use a spoon, but no way.

I had a muscle milk (not the lite) the other day because I forgot my Premier at home and man, that stuff is thick and sweet. It was a job to finish it.