Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has The Sleeve Helped Your Ibs?

Has anyone noticed any difference in their IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) after having the sleeve done?

I had the "loose" version of IBS prior to surgery. Now, I have not had any problems since about two weeks post-op. I am 2 1/2 months out now and have started taking Fiber supplements. Prior to the sleeve, I would "go" about 20 times a day if I ate any kind of fiber or fresh veggies. Cooked cauliflower and broccoli were strictly off limits because my stomach would swell by 3 to 5 inches about 30 mins after eating it. Staying away from my trigger foods cut down my bathroom trips to about 10 a day and taking Acidophilous cut that by half again but they were always urgent and loose. Now I don't have that problem at all so I would say that yes, the surgey has "cured" my IBS even though my surgeon swears that there is no connection between the two.

Thanks for your comments! I am hoping it will do the same for me!

I had IBS with Constipation for years and would have attacks of severe pain just below my navel. I took librax in high doses up until I had the surgery to help with the pain. I never had diahrea with it, rather constipation. I have not taken a Librax since surgery! I pray I never have another attack of it! I hope and pray I am cured! Good luck with yours!

I also had the "loose" version of IBS and I've been completely free of symptoms since surgery. I suspect it's a combination of several factors:

1. I was/am lactose intolerant, and since surgery I've been vigilant about drinking only lactose-free milk. Previously I didn't drink any milk at all, except small amounts of soy milk. I also didn't take Calcium supplements, since every time I tried it caused an attack. Now I am drinking 16-24 oz of milk a day plus taking Calcium supplements... calcium helps with muscle spasms, which may be one of the causes of IBS.

2. I am almost totally off wheat-based foods (breads, crackers, etc) right now because of my dietary restrictions. I've long suspected that I might be gluten intolerant as well, but I've never been able to cut it out of my diet with any consistency (too addicted to carbs).

3. The overall volume of my intake is greatly reduced as well, which I think has given my GI tract a "break". Plus, the increase in nutrients and Protein from additional supplementation may have helped heal any lingering lesions. Pre-surgery I frequently experienced what is called "late dumping syndrome" 1-3 hrs after eating anything with too much fat, sugar, or too high a volume of food and that's gone now.

This is completely and totally unscientific and just my own opinions. I actually haven't research this issue at all but I'm happy with just having a break from the urgent bathroom trips!

I had bariatric sleeve surgery on May 28,2014. as of today I have lost 92.5 pounds. I am feeling great, look fantastic, no more COPD problems.

The only negative thing I have noticed is that my IBS has seem to gotten worse. I seem to get bad gas pains and pass gas (at times horrible smell) and diarrhea more than ever since my surgery. I have tried several Probiotics and gas relievers and none seem to work. I was told that I may be eating too much Protein. So I tried eating Protein Bars with less Protein and still no change.

Can the surgery make this horrible IBS worse for life? or is there something else I can try.....

Please if you are or have experienced this problem since your surgery please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Carole

I suffer from IBS but find as long as I am eating a healthy diet (before a surgery or after), that pretty much clears it up for me.

I was sleeved on 4/16/2015. My IBS (loose) has never been so severe as it is since pre-op. I have been ill since April 6th. Am following a FODmaps diet with some improvement but still not resolved.