Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You Can Gain Weight With The Sleeve

Mini keep it up a stay on course. Picture your goal and make a decision to eat only nutritious foods that are organic if possible. No processed foods if possible. The only processed foods I eat are going to be Protein Shakes and Protein Bars. I know that I need to get back to exercising and not making up any excuses to avoid exercise. I have to stop thinking about food and keep myself busy. My hardest time is when I'm at home not doing anything. I get bored and I think of foods that are unhealthy for me. I have learned not to take my DH with me to the market because he buys junk food that I end up eating. So no more markets for him. :) You can do this! I'm going to be successful with my goals too. :P

Question for all the veterans

Do you still feel any restrictions? I've read the post about just eating poor choices but in smaller amounts. I know we will be fighting the battle of the bulge the rest of our lives. I'm only 3 months out. I just hope and pray this sleeve restriction lasts a life time.

Do you still feel any restrictions? 3 months out. hope and pray this sleeve restriction lasts a life time.

greenfamily004

i'm 2 weeks from celebrating my 1rst surgiversary!!!!

i hope too this, restriction will last forever, but................. not positive that the restriction will be as good tomorrow + , as it is right now :mellow:

i know i (we) will always have to work with our "situation" :mellow: really hard work sleeve was never meant to do this hard work solo

wish i could give you a better, straight forward answer to the longevity of the sleeve

"total" stomach restriction for the rest of our lives???, we will have the restriction, but it might be less than it is now :angry:

the best exercise i do is arms stretched in front of me - pushing away from the table - and a one and a two ;)

good luck to all of us

Coops I have a question. What kind of Protein bars do you eat? How often do you eat them? I know that my protein bars have around 200 calories and up. I eat Pure Protein Bars that have 20g of protein, 6g fat, total carbs 16g, Fiber 1g, sugars 2g, sugar alcohol 6g. They taste really good and are very filling. What would happen if you cut everything back to Proteins and broths? There has got to be something that will get your body back on track and dropping those extra lbs........

I'm also stuck and am thinking that I need to start working the program and starting from basics again. I need to lower my goal weight to 135lbs. So, I'm back on the boat again.

I am so looking forward to hearing you say you've lost a few lbs finally. That will be a celebration for us........HUGS across the pond! :P

Hey my skinny friend,

At the moment I buy the Atkins ones.... I like the taste and texture and there are a few different flavours that I enjoy. I know they are high(ish) in calories, but they are a great breakfast! I haven't tried the pure protein ones... can you send me a link so I can see if I can get them here in the UK please.

I did try all protein and reduced my carbs to very little a few mths ago. It didn't change the scale and I felt like crap! I've also tried 2 meals of Soups and one of mainly protein and again, no movement. It just seems like what ever I do, nothing changes! I can't tell you how frustrated I feel.

I went back to the boxing gym on Tues... still aching today, but I did enjoy it and I intended to go weekly to start with, build my strength back up and then, in the New Year, back to twice weekly - even if I don't lose weight doing it, I will get my physical strength back and it is suck a good stress buster - that I have missed!

hope you are well ... hugs across the pond to you, my lovely friend! =]

Question for all the veterans

Do you still feel any restrictions? I've read the post about just eating poor choices but in smaller amounts. I know we will be fighting the battle of the bulge the rest of our lives. I'm only 3 months out. I just hope and pray this sleeve restriction lasts a life time.

Hey!

I am 2 yrs 5mths out and I still have good restriction and have been like this for about a year. In a meal I can't eat more than 8oz of food (yes, I still weigh it occasionally although I am good at eye balling it now) and that amount will keep me full for hours and hours. I also still use a small plate, like a side plate, as I find this a good marker for the amount of food to serve, I reached this capacity about a year ago. When I first realised I could eat more, I did get a little worried... but it is still a lot less than before the sleeve. I have to say, I am happy with this amount of food as it means I can enjoy a meal and taste the foods I enjoy without feeling deprived and looking for more.

However, I have found, over the last couple of weeks, that there is more room for junk food in between meals and that is something that I have to be really mindful of as when it comes to eating my 'meal' I can't eat all the good food... if that makes sense.

Hope that helps ...

Thank you friends for the info. Hopeful the lessons we have learned will be our saving grace.

I know your right... It's continuing to track what we eat, use small plates and stay active that will help.

Coops here is the site for pure Protein bars: http://www.pureprotein.net/. They are delicious. How is everything going for you today. It's damp here in California. :)

I can't imagine they don't sell them in the UK.

Glad to hear your back to kick boxing. I have been very very avoidant of walking and I know I need too. Today I will go to the mall and walk. That's my commitment to you.....:)

I believe that for me, I am pretty much at a set point and it doesn't look like I will be letting go of any more weight. I still want to get off at least 10lbs but also know that it's not going to happen.

I also know that if I wasn't able to hit my surgeon's goal, I would be so frustrated and angry and I would feel like a failure. But in reality, looking back, it's really not a failure, it's just where my body is for this day. I love your determination and persistence and have learned so much from you! You are my ROCK! I love reading your posts. T

The funny thing is I watched "The Doctors" and they were saying that if we don't get our 8 hours of sleep, we will gain weight due to being tired. This is not the first time I've heard this. However, i am always waking up after about 6.5 hours of sleep every night. anyhoo, food for thought. :)

I went back to the boxing gym on Tues... still aching today, but I did enjoy it and I intended to go weekly to start with, build my strength back up and then, in the New Year, back to twice weekly - even if I don't lose weight doing it, I will get my physical strength back and it is suck a good stress buster - that I have missed!

hope you are well ... hugs across the pond to you, my lovely friend! =]

I just got back to dancing two weeks ago as well... so nice to be back on track with that!

Maybe we should start some sort of weekly weigh in. I haven't weighed myself in a couple of weeks. I know I have gained...not a lot, but I can feel it. So maybe if on Monday we all weigh in and then see if we can help each other to push ourselves. I do know that we have to work out in order for the scale to move...I am really thinking about hitting the gym at lunch. Well let me know who is in. On Monday I will post a date specific title...then the next Monday I will post another. I don't want to keep it on the same thread. I certainly am ok not losing anymore weight, but I can not gain...so I have to be accountable. Look for a new thread at about 10:30am EST. I am so scared to weigh in!!!! But I can't ignore the scale.

Maybe we should start some sort of weekly weigh in. I haven't weighed myself in a couple of weeks. I know I have gained...not a lot, but I can feel it. So maybe if on Monday we all weigh in and then see if we can help each other to push ourselves. I do know that we have to work out in order for the scale to move...I am really thinking about hitting the gym at lunch. Well let me know who is in. On Monday I will post a date specific title...then the next Monday I will post another. I don't want to keep it on the same thread. I certainly am ok not losing anymore weight, but I can not gain...so I have to be accountable. Look for a new thread at about 10:30am EST. I am so scared to weigh in!!!! But I can't ignore the scale.< /p>

I will be there!

count me in today 129 up 2 from goal.

:(

Maybe we should start some sort of weekly weigh in. I haven't weighed myself in a couple of weeks. I know I have gained...not a lot' date=' but I can feel it. So maybe if on Monday we all weigh in and then see if we can help each other to push ourselves. I do know that we have to work out in order for the scale to move...I am really thinking about hitting the gym at lunch. Well let me know who is in. On Monday I will post a date specific title...then the next Monday I will post another. I don't want to keep it on the same thread. I certainly am ok not losing anymore weight, but I can not gain...so I have to be accountable. Look for a new thread at about 10:30am EST. I am so scared to weigh in!!!! But I can't ignore the scale.[/quote']

There is a weekly weigh in thread.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/28362-super-saturday-weigh-in/

We'd love for you to join us.

Like others who've posted here, I really struggle with emotional eating and sugar cravings. I surpassed my surgeon's goal and got within a pound of my personal goal, but I've gained more than 10 pounds since then and have struggled for months to get back to eating consistently the way I should.

When I first started the pre-op diet, I was amazed at the difference a high-protein low-carb diet made in my cravings and hunger. It was like someone had flipped a switch and turned me into a different person. Suddenly, I could pass on the Cookies and cake in the break room without any difficulty. I didn't spend the day thinking about wanting to eat something every few minutes. It was like a miracle.

Now, 18 months post-op, the cravings are back with a vengeance, and I struggle to stay on plan for even a week at a time without doing a face plant into the chocolate!

I've been reading a ton of self-help books recently, and I've seen several that talk about the benefits of amino acid supplements. I started with 5-HTP because I am such a stress eater and have trouble staying on an even keel emotionally. Wow, what a difference it makes for me! I just feel a little more calm, a little less apt to fly off the handle. So, a couple of days ago I decided to try L-Glutamine which is supposed to help with sugar cravings. You probably won't believe me when I tell you I could feel a difference in under an hour. I wouldn't have believed it myself. It's like I found that switch to flip again, and making good food choices returned to being pretty easy, and my appetite in general is much lower. I'm taking it now a couple of times a day.

I don't know how long this will help for me, but I'm happy to give this a try for awhile. I thought it might be worth sharing for others who are struggling with sugar cravings. I always thought with me it was a matter of habit and stress-eating, but now that I'm taking supplements I have to say I'm a believer that there's definitely a biochemical component!

If you want more information, I'd recommend reading the Diet Cure by Julia Ross, or just about anything by Maria Emmerich (she has a great website too, mariahealth.blogspot.com I think). Or, see if you can find a nutritionist who's well versed in these sorts of supplements.

Like others who've posted here, I really struggle with emotional eating and sugar cravings. I surpassed my surgeon's goal and got within a pound of my personal goal, but I've gained more than 10 pounds since then and have struggled for months to get back to eating consistently the way I should.

When I first started the pre-op diet, I was amazed at the difference a high-protein low-carb diet made in my cravings and hunger. It was like someone had flipped a switch and turned me into a different person. Suddenly, I could pass on the Cookies and cake in the break room without any difficulty. I didn't spend the day thinking about wanting to eat something every few minutes. It was like a miracle.

Now, 18 months post-op, the cravings are back with a vengeance, and I struggle to stay on plan for even a week at a time without doing a face plant into the chocolate!

I've been reading a ton of self-help books recently, and I've seen several that talk about the benefits of amino acid supplements. I started with 5-HTP because I am such a stress eater and have trouble staying on an even keel emotionally. Wow, what a difference it makes for me! I just feel a little more calm, a little less apt to fly off the handle. So, a couple of days ago I decided to try L-Glutamine which is supposed to help with sugar cravings. You probably won't believe me when I tell you I could feel a difference in under an hour. I wouldn't have believed it myself. It's like I found that switch to flip again, and making good food choices returned to being pretty easy, and my appetite in general is much lower. I'm taking it now a couple of times a day.

I don't know how long this will help for me, but I'm happy to give this a try for awhile. I thought it might be worth sharing for others who are struggling with sugar cravings. I always thought with me it was a matter of habit and stress-eating, but now that I'm taking supplements I have to say I'm a believer that there's definitely a biochemical component!

If you want more information, I'd recommend reading the Diet Cure by Julia Ross, or just about anything by Maria Emmerich (she has a great website too, mariahealth.blogspot.com I think). Or, see if you can find a nutritionist who's well versed in these sorts of supplements.

I am there with you. This week I caved to ice cream! I can almost polish off a pint. That is just nuts. So I really have got to do some soul searching. To make matters worse I just quit smoking. 6 days now. I am sure that isn't helping. I will look up those supplements.

Hey my skinny friend' date='

At the moment I buy the Atkins ones.... I like the taste and texture and there are a few different flavours that I enjoy. I know they are high(ish) in calories, but they are a great breakfast! I haven't tried the pure Protein ones... can you send me a link so I can see if I can get them here in the UK please.

I did try all Protein and reduced my carbs to very little a few mths ago. It didn't change the scale and I felt like crap! I've also tried 2 meals of Soups and one of mainly protein and again, no movement. It just seems like what ever I do, nothing changes! I can't tell you how frustrated I feel.

hope you are well ... hugs across the pond to you, my lovely friend! =']

Where abouts in the uk are you Coops. I am from Scotland. Xx