Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Almost Regret Having Had This Sleeve Gastrectomy!

Hi all! I had my vertical sleeve gastrectomy on Dec. 5, 2011 by Dr. Mitchell Roslin at Lenox Hill Hospital in NYC. I attended all the seminars and appointments required of me before having the surgery. I'm a 5' 4" female weighing 241 pre op. I thought I had asked all questions prior to the surgery but I guess not. I feel like I wasn't fully informed about all the unpleasant things I'd have to endure post op. I was totally reassured that I'd be back to work in a week, two weeks tops, by the surgeon! Needless to say, I am 4 weeks post op and still not back to work. I'm due back at work on Jan. 3 and I don't feel ready to go back. I'm feeling miserable! I've been nauseous, dizzy, weak, and depressed. All I wanna do is stay in bed because if I get up and walk around I'm feeling dizzy. I hate this feeling!

I'm having trouble keeping foods down! I can only eat very small amounts of food and I don't think I'm getting enough Protein. Since I don't seem to be getting enough Protein, I'm feeling very nauseous, dizzy, and week.

I called my surgeon and he told me to sip hot tea with honey all day and to eat a scoop of Peanut Butter every 2-3 hrs. That's great if the tea and Peanut Butter wouldn't make me nauseous! I don't know what to do since this is a holiday weekend and the Dr. nor his office will be available until Jan. 3 when I'm supposed to go back to work! Help!

Were you taking a blood pressure medication prior to the surgery and still taking this? I was taking one and after surgery took it only every other day and OMG i was soooo dizzy. I called them and went to see them my normal blood pressure was 170/110 was now 90/60!!! Get off the blood pressure med now!! they told me..I felt so much better in a day or two after being off that. It might be something that simple. I also had some low Iron levels and had to up the iron pills for a bit. I hope you feel better soon!

I am sorry you are having a hard time. We all react differently, your surgeon shouldn't have gotten your expectations up. My first three weeks were great, but yet I couldn't imagine going to work after a week or two. I was still sipping and walking constantly at that time. I wouldn't have been able to focus on something else. Others can do it with no problem whatsoever.

I got nausea on week 4. The suppositories (Promethazine) helped but I still couldn't drink or eat the amounts needed, so it was becoming a vicious cycle.( Not eating enough calories makes you nauseous). I thought it was my new PPI (acid med) which can cause nausea. A swallow test went well but it showed huge air pockets on my esophagus. My surgeon suggested I stop using my CPAP for one night (and drink real Gatorade for calories) and sure enough, the nausea went away immediately. The gases in my tummy were not letting me eat or drink enough. I stopped using my CPAP and the nausea has never returned.

I think the key is to keep calling your surgeon constantly. I did not leave them alone until we found out what was going on. I was good about taking their advice and good about calling back if it wasn't working. Heck, I was not going to live with daily nausea. I hope this helps and you feel better soon!

I have been drinking small amounts of Protein Drinks but even that makes me nauseous. While I am swallowing it down I say a quick prayer that it will stay down. Thank you all for your suggestions. You are all so kind. Have a great new year and keep me in your prayers.

Maybe the Protein drinks are too thick for you. Try skimming them down with soy milk or Water. I had my surgery a day later than you and am already on puree foods. Every one's body reacts to changes differently so give yourself some time to get the liquids down.

Wow! And you have already lost 41 lbs? It seems the surgery has agreed with you. Good luck!

Lola, I too was sleeved 12/5! I'm thankful I haven't had to deal with any nausea just extreme exhaustion and at times weakness. I think you should talk with your doctor and nutritionist. Do they have you on actigal to protect your gaul bladder? Maybe it doesn't agree with you?

Or it could be dehydration... Maybe going to the ER and having them do an IV would be helpful. I was almost to that point because of how dried out my lips were, but thankfully I was able to start taking bigger sips and that has helped. Dehydration can mess with us in a vast array of symptoms.

I don't know what to do since this is a holiday weekend and the Dr. nor his office will be available until Jan. 3 when I'm supposed to go back to work! Help!

Sorry I missed this part. My surgeon said that if in 2 days the nausea wasn't gone, he would give me an iv. I never got to that point, but I think that was supposed to rehydrate me and allow me to drink and eat more, therefore avoid the nausea. Perhaps others can chime in. I wonder if it is a good idea that you go to the emergency room to get this done.

Just wanna say thanks to everyone who has replied. I know it's difficult to deal with all these new changes going on around you let alone, responding to other people's problems. I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

lola im really sorry you have had such trouble since surgery. everyone here has given some awesome advice i agree with them, just try and get in as much Fluid as you can either Protein shake, s.f popsicles or ice chips that will hopefully help with the nausea, or see if your doc can prescribe and anti nausea which should help you get in food better.

Hope everything works out for you.. I will keep you in my prayers!

Are you on Zofran or something for the nauseas? Zofran did wonders for me at the beginning, I had a pill that dissolves quick in my mouth and tastes good. Also I suggest to get more Water, is hard the beginning but it will get better,you will see.