Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Biggest Loser Column

July 26, 2006

The Final Countdown

Doing the math on your calories adds up to big results.

Maybe Biggest Loser cast member Mark Yesitis should have become an accountant instead of a cop. His strategy for fighting flab is all about math--specifically, calorie counting.

In fact, he says to, "Carry your calorie book with you. It will fit in your purse or pocket." If you forget it, send a text message to yourself on your cell phone.

When it comes to exercising, Mark shows the same kind of vigilance. "For me it's calories in, calories out," he says. "That's why I like cardio machines. The digital readouts tell me exactly how many calories I'm burning with each exercise session. If I want to burn 1,500 calories (which is nearly a half a pound of fat) the machine counts those calories for me. As long as I'm burning more calories during the day than I eat, I'm going to lose weight."

Lastly, he keeps strict tabs on his daily caloric allowance. That means, "If your calories for the day don't allow you to eat an entire piece of cheesecake or something else for dessert at a restaurant, eat half of it. Then pour salt on the rest to avoid temptation."

The point is calorie counting ends all guessing, confusion, and excuses. Soon enough, you'll be watching the numbers on your scales get smaller and smaller.

Counting calories gives me a headache! Wish I had the disipline for sure, it does take the guesswork out of everything. My solution is to just not eat the cheesecake.

Me too. I cannot bear the thought of a life thinking so deeply about everything I eat.

If I've had a fair bit to eat that day, I dont eat the cheesecake, if I want the cheesecake I figure I'll do a couple of extra long runs and cut down on food intake the next day.

Still works, only because its guesswork, my weight comes off in fits and starts, a few good days and it drops, but it stays the same for long periods.

I think I"ll have to count calories at some point to get the last bit off but I think its quite dysfunctional behaviour in a way too. YOu have to learn to listen to your body and what it wants if you want to have any hope of maintaining weight loss - you cant artificially impose limits on your body forever by way of a little book.

For my 3 meals, I don't count calories--I just try to estimate a cup of food. I do check calorie amounts on foods that I snack on. I try to keep the calories low on my 2 or 3 daily Snacks. Counting calories, counting weight watcher points, and counting carbs--that is too much trouble for me! I don't eat until I am full. I just try to think of that cup of food.

August 2, 2006

Get Addicted

Jen Kersey is a Fiber junkie and wants you to become one too.

Doc-to-be Jen Kersey (Season 2) isn't afraid to say she has a problem.

Yes, it's true. She can't put down the Fiber.

Morning, noon, and night, she's snacking away on foods that fill up her stomach and help keep the pounds off, post-show.

Sitting down for a chat, she confessed that her biggest secret to losing weight was, "vegetables, vegetables, and vegetables."

But she didn't stop there.

"Make your sandwiches with high-fiber bread, " she says. "It contains about 45 calories a slice. That way, you can have two slices of bread."

When it comes to treats, Jen goes for the fruity fiber. "If you have a sweet tooth, eat fresh pineapple. Its sweetness is unbelievable!"

So next time, you're shopping, do it Jen's way. Fill your cart with foods that can keep you on the weight-loss track: fruits, vegetable, and multi-grains.

But remember, we warned you. Too much of a good thing is a good thing.

August 8, 2006

It's a Family Affair

When everybody eats right, everybody feels right.

It's almost impossible to sit down to a dinner of fresh red snapper and greens, when your kids and spouse are gobbling down fried chicken and ice cream.

So don't make things so difficult on yourself!

Involving your family in your new lifestyle will help keep you on track--and start your spouse and kids on the road to health. In fact, setting family eating goals may help all of you stay out of the plus-size department, says an Arizona State University study of 6,400 teens. The teens in families with healthy habits (like eating Breakfast every morning) were 33 percent less likely to be overweight.

So start your family in the right direction:

1) Have a meeting and discuss how meals could improve for the whole family.

2) Ask any family member who refuses to participate to try the family's diet changes for a few weeks--and then decide whether to continue.

3) Encourage flexibility. If someone refuses to join in, ask him or her to cook something else to eat with the family.

4) Increase cooperation by cutting back rather than eliminating favorite foods. For example, smaller dessert portions can lead to substantial weight loss.

Become a member of the club, and get more articles on diet, exercise, and making your own success. Membership includes the diet plan as well as tips, recipes, support groups, exclusive tips from the cast, previews of Season 3, and more. Sign up today, and the plan will come to you!

August 4, 2006

Ciao Bella!

Bob Harper guides you safely through the temptations of Italian dining.

Italian has to be the most difficult kind of food to eat while trying to lose weight. For one reason: Carbs.

Well, you're stronger than a plate of Pasta. And with a little help from our star trainer Bob Harper, you can even get through a three-course dinner at the Olive Garden, no problem.

Bob's secret? Special ordering!

1. Go to the Entrees and stick with all the Protein choices like fish, chicken, or red meat.

2. Try getting a small side of Pasta Sauce and put two tablespoons on your Protein entree. "You will get that Italian taste that you want. It's a good little trick and it does work for fulfilling a craving."

3. Request your veggies steamed, with the sauce on the side.

4. Most importantly, "Get that bread basket out of arm's reach!"

Special ordering lets you effectively change the menu to suit your new healthy lifestyle. So this time, walk away from that red-checked table happy, relaxed, and guilt-free.

August 17, 2006

Mix It Up!

BLC Members know that variety is the spice of life when it comes to exercise.

Going to the gym may have become part of your routine. But when you get there, you do your 30 minutes on the treadmill, do your weights, then do your crunches, then do your stretches...then (yawn) do it all again the next day.

Don't bore yourself into quitting!

As one BLC member said this week. "Any time you add to or change your workout, your body is more apt to lose weight. Basically, if you do the same thing everyday, you body gets used to it and doesn't use up as many calories. Changing your workout often keeps your body guessing...AND makes it so you don't get bored doing the same thing every day!"

Other BLC members agree:

"I have started to run a little, with the help of a personal trainer. I can now do a 12-minute mile--not pretty to watch, but I can do it. I am not a runner. What helps me is to warm up for about 20 minutes on the elliptical or stair master, then get on the treadmill."

"I go to cycle classes, step classes, and body pump classes (weight lifting) AND yoga. Most of these classes are for beginners."

Remember, the Biggest Loser Club plan is designed for immediate weight loss as well as maintenance for the long haul. You don't want to eat the same thing everyday, day after day. Why would you want to do the same exercise?

Pull yourself out of your workout rut!

August 24, 2006

Pump Up the Volume

Music keeps you motivated, just ask our club members.

A fast, bass-thumping song can keep you running on the treadmill. A slow, meditative song can help you stretch that extra few inches during your yoga routine.

The truth is, music inspires your mind and body. Our Biggest Loser Club members can't get enough of it.

"Great music really helped me stick it out...I'm talking about the kind of music that makes you dance uninhibited when you're alone and no one's watching...that kind of pumped up."

"I haven't run without difficulty since I was in my late teens/early 20s. (I'm in my 40s now). Yes! This is so cool. Plus I play 'Dreams' by the Cranberries during my running segment and I'm actually running to the music. I never thought I could do this."

Some ways to incorporate tunes into your workout routine:

Try exercises that require music like aerobics, step, or spin classes.

Expand your horizons: Dance. "I lost the weight by dancing (ballet) 5 times per week. The weight just melted off and I was down to a size 8 from a 12/14, with no dieting. I love ballet so it never felt like an exercise program."

Invest in an iPod or MP3 player and make yourself a "workout playlist" of all your favorites.

Listen to the BLC members...and feel the beat this week!

I love those. Thanks for posting. *sigh* Bob Harper. One day, he will be mine. I bought the biggest loser dvd. Put it in, pushed play, ate ice cream and watched Bob. Pre-band of course. :nervous

August 31, 2006

Smile...You're on Candid Camera

A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Diet Words

Why look to magazines and size-zero models for inspiration? One of the best motivators around is your own body and your own results, as BLC members have recently shared on the site.

"I take a picture once a week and compare. Wow, what a difference a week will make!" says one member. "Once you start, you can't stop!"

Another member takes pictures too, but does it once a month in order to see more noticeable changes. On top of that, she says, "On the first of each month I take my new picture and post it above my scale with all the rest and on the refrigerator in a more public setting. Letting others know about my lifestyle change helps a lot."

Still another member uses a video camera. "I taped my favorite pair of jeans to my bare backside and turned the camera on record," she says. "I walked around, recording at all angles...I could not believe how much of me showed on each side of the jeans." Now she says, "I plan on doing the video after each weigh-in. Just seeing the scales go down can sometimes make me think it's okay to cheat a little on the diet and cut short the exercise. This way I will know and not be able to lie to myself."

Like the saying goes, the camera doesn't lie. You can look better and better. Prove it to yourself!

I love those. Thanks for posting. *sigh* Bob Harper. One day, he will be mine. I bought the biggest loser dvd. Put it in, pushed play, ate ice cream and watched Bob. Pre-band of course. :nervous

I hear you, I like Bob also. I have Oprahs tape and someone gave me the Bob's first book. It's amazing how we can sit and watch others exercise and not do a thing. Guilty as charged.

September 13, 2006

Tis the Season, for Change

Andrea Overstreet mixes up her exercise routine.

Is this your workout life?

Monday: treadmill 40 minutes, weights 20 min, abs 10, stretch 5

Tuesday: treadmill 40 minutes, weights 20 min, abs 10, stretch 5

Wednesday: treadmill 40 minutes, weights 20 min, abs 10, stretch 5

Thursday: treadmill 40 minutes, weights 20 min, abs 10, stretch 5

Friday: treadmill 40 minutes, weights 20 min, abs 10, stretch 5

Saturday: treadmill 40 minutes, weights 20 min, abs 10, stretch 5

Sunday: rest, repeat

Doing the same routine over and over eventually gets boring, even if you're enjoying those things right now. Biggest Loser Andrea Overstreet learned the hard way and wants you to avoid the same pitfalls. Here are her tips:

1) Be creative with your exercise choices.

"Find things that stimulate you. Try new things and take risks. I am taking yoga 2 to 3 days a week and started taking a belly dancing class. It's great fun."

2) Change your routine BEFORE it gets boring, so you don't "wear out" any of your options.

"By changing up my routine and incorporating different types of exercise I have had better results and am able to stay focused."

3) Let the weather and world inspire you.

"Even if you love the gym it's good to get outdoors especially in summer. Go for a jog or find a trail to hike."

September 12, 2006

Admit it, You're Terrific

Learning to praise yourself can keep you on the diet track.

Here's what happens: you're about to go to the gym, when you think, "Why bother? I'm already so out of shape and overweight and lazy, I might as well just sit here."

Your negativity crushes your chances at changing your life AND your body.

In the same way you taught yourself to be your worst critic, you can just as easily teach yourself to be your most loving coach. Success begins when you stop being so hard on yourself and Celebrate everything you have going for you.

Try this simple exercise:

What do you like about yourself right now? Take out a piece of paper and make a list of all your likeable qualities. Keep going until this list is as long as you can make it. You might include things like: I have sexy eyes, I have thick hair, I can make people laugh, I am a good cook, I'm creative, I'm trustworthy, I'm a good friend, or I'm intelligent.

Keep adding to this list as you get in better shape. In fact, read it to yourself whenever you get the chance.

Positive thinking can help you develop self acceptance and body confidence. So go ahead and like yourself. Right now!

September 11, 2006

Today's Recipe: Sizzling Stir Fry

Let Lisa Andreone show you how pork is done. Guilt-free.

Lisa Andreone lost 47 pounds while at the ranch. But back at home she's kept on going. "I've adapted everything in my life around eating right," she says. And this recipe proves it, combining a twist of fresh, Asian flavor, plenty of Protein, and very little fat.

Ingredients:

3 cups broccoli, chopped

3/4 cup chicken broth, divided

1/2 cup chopped green onions

2 tablespoons chopped garlic

2 tablespoons chopped ginger

2 teaspoons olive oil, divided

1 cup chopped yellow onion

1 red bell pepper, halved, seeded and diced

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 pound boneless pork tenderloin, cut in strips, 1/2 inch wide and 2 inches long

1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce

1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

To Prepare:

Steam broccoli until bright green but still firm. Drain; rinse with cold Water to stop cooking; drain again. Combine 1/4 cup of the broth, the green onion, garlic and ginger in food processor and pulse until mixture is minced. Set aside.

Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large saute pan. Add onion and bell peppers; saute 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Transfer to a bowl.

Add remaining oil to pan over medium-high heat. Add broccoli mixture and saute for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add pork and soy sauce and saute for four minutes or until pork is nearly cooked. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of broth and bring to a boil. Add broccoli and stir until broccoli is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add onion and bell pepper back to pan. Divide between 4 plates and garnish with sesame seeds.

Yield: 4 servings

Nutritional Values: Fat: 13 g, Carbohydrates: 13 g, Protein: 36 g, Calories: 311 kcal.