Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ignoring Symptoms After Vgs

I am chatting with my god daughter's fiance (EGADS, wasn't she like 3 years old last year - getting old!) so anyway - getting old...focus!

He mentioned that as a nurse he wonders if people on the forum are substituting peer advise to determine if a symptom is bad enough to return to the doctor, or to go to the ER, etc. I can say that I would have to say "maybe/probably". So at his urging I am posting this.

He started out by asking that like any other posting on this forum, you have no way to add a true rating of credibility to what I am posting - so gauge this post in the same manner we are referencing the subject.

This operation is easier than it would have been even just a few years ago, but the chances you will experience certain things are a given. A bit of doubt, excitement, anxiety, pain, fatique, etc. Some things, however, are still typical but not case-wide; there are others that happen often, less often but still common...and so forth.

But there are symptoms that should not be ignored, and you should not rely on the forum to decide if you go to the hospital. By no means post here before you seek emergency medical advice!

If you suspect you need to go to the ER - you should probably set that in motion and then add to the forum. Do not post to the forum first in the hopes you will be told you are okay. You can always apologize to the friend or neighbor or spouse that was going to take you if the symptoms pass.

Now is the time to ask yourself what you would do if you were to have to go back in the hospital or you have severe complications that limit your ability to function for a period of time.

Have something in place before you go in for surgery to handle the possibility you need to go to the ER. Do not overlook your contact number for your doctor after hours, and set a time limit that you wait on a response, and who to contact if you don't get an almost immediate response. NO SURGEON SHOULD NOT HAVE AFTER HOUR CONTACT INFORMATION.

I am not going to list any symptoms or exclude any symptoms that should be considered possible emergency situations. This is not to define which symptoms are what - but to get you thinking, in advance of the surgery or complication what to do, what not to do, and have everything organized in case you need to go to the ER, call 911 or even find yourself back in the hospital.

In the event of a stressful situation, it is totally possible that something else can develop or emerge.

This is an awesome forum, and it is so very helpful. Do not confuse this forum, ar any like it, as any replacement for how to determine your care.

I have to agree with your friend, Pookey! I have seen folks post things that made me want to reach through the computer and dial 911 for them.

I think it's best to err on the side of caution, but I get why people are hesitant to go to the ER immediately. My experience was going to the ER in early May for pneumonia and basically being told, by the doctor, that I was a drug seeker and to go home! This was after my PCP wanted to send me in by ambulance! When I did end up in the hospital the second time and was admitted, I wanted to go down to the ER and smack that woman.

However, this is where we have to be our own best advocate and stand up for ourselves, or have a friend we trust to stand up for us. I ended up standing on the hospital bed, demanding that someone, anyone, come into the cubicle and check on me because I had been there for 5 hours with no food, drink, or medication. I was also freezing cold and watching my fingernails turn blue.

I understand why people hesitate to go to the ER unless they are bleeding or obviously near death!

I agree with your friend as well...you should always contact your doctor if you are having issues. I believe people come on here and ask health questions as a form of "vertfication" No one likes to feel like something is just happening to them

After our first experience with ER care in Houston, we did research and selected a private ER care provider near a good hospital. That way unless it is ambulatory or life-or-death they have our records and can treat us. They also have a note to our account that I am due in for surgery, my meds, etc.

It sounds expensive, but actually most healthcare covers it and it took years to need it but my husband got food caught in his throat. He has had it happen before, and he could breath, so unless he started worsen he would have waited in the always full waiting room of the hospital ER.

We walked into the private ER, told them they had us on file; they took him back as I confirmed some info and made my copay. By the time I was back he was already in X-ray and was being medicated and treated within 15 minutes. This is NW Houston, Cypress/Fairbanks/290 corridor area. My husband had even asked them to make a note that in the event he was being treated to please ask me to check my blood glucose to be sure I wasn't bottoming out in response to the adrenaline that can accompany an emergency.

He did eventually have to go to the ER once we determined he could not dislodge the food without an endoscopy. They made the arrangements for us, had us wait until they called and told us they were almost ready for him and he did not stand in line at the ER either!

I compared the costs, and it only cost about 150$ more, since I had the copay, and he did not sit or suffer through a long wait, in a room full of people with who knows what. I did not want him to go in with a blockage to catch the cold or MRSA.