Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question About Shoulder Pain after Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

i am almost 2 months post op and was wanting to know when every one talks about shoulder pain is it all the time or only when you move it? My pain is not all day long it is more like when i try and sleep on it and when i reach up. This has been going on for a few weeks. I have no temp and no other symptoms. Can some tell me what they think..

Thanks

For me, the shoulder pain related to the surgery and internal gas was reserved to the left shoulder only and was gone after about two weeks post op.

Now, what I have discovered, though, is after I started losing weight, old injuries which I haven't felt in years are back. I was rear-ended 6 years ago and went through the whole PT regimen and was feeling great. Now, the exact pains I had are back. Why is that? I have a theory.

The physical therapy I went through and the adjustments I made to deal with the injury required building some muscle to support my body with the injury. When I started losing weight, I was also losing muscle mass. Big time. I'm theorizing I lost some of the muscle I was using to support movement in this area. I was back to using ibuprofen and tylenol and not feeling good at all, but then I developed this theory. So, this is when I started back hitting the weight room lifting. This was about 3 months ago and I believe I was right, for me, because my pain is greatly reduced.

Did you ever have a previous shoulder injury or perhaps somewhere close where now your muscle loss could be reference pain? You don't need to hit the weight room to build muscle, either. For shoulders, I know they recomend band exercises and you can do push-ups against a wall adjusting the angle as you progress.

As always, consult your Dr before starting any kind of workout routine. I always suggest paying $50 for a personal trainer session so you learn how to do the exercises correctly, efficiently and do not injure yourself further.

For me, the shoulder pain related to the surgery and internal gas was reserved to the left shoulder only and was gone after about two weeks post op.

Now, what I have discovered, though, is after I started losing weight, old injuries which I haven't felt in years are back. I was rear-ended 6 years ago and went through the whole PT regimen and was feeling great. Now, the exact pains I had are back. Why is that? I have a theory.

The physical therapy I went through and the adjustments I made to deal with the injury required building some muscle to support my body with the injury. When I started losing weight, I was also losing muscle mass. Big time. I'm theorizing I lost some of the muscle I was using to support movement in this area. I was back to using ibuprofen and tylenol and not feeling good at all, but then I developed this theory. So, this is when I started back hitting the weight room lifting. This was about 3 months ago and I believe I was right, for me, because my pain is greatly reduced.

Did you ever have a previous shoulder injury or perhaps somewhere close where now your muscle loss could be reference pain? You don't need to hit the weight room to build muscle, either. For shoulders, I know they recomend band exercises and you can do push-ups against a wall adjusting the angle as you progress.

As always, consult your Dr before starting any kind of workout routine. I always suggest paying $50 for a personal trainer session so you learn how to do the exercises correctly, efficiently and do not injure yourself further.

Absolutely, I have a trainer also. Expensive but worth it - but I suggest you only use them about every third day, or three times a week. Do your core with your trainer, do your cardio on your own time!

I had shoulder pain off and on from the beginning and I blamed it on sleeping it on it wrong. In the end it was my only symptom of a leak. Eventually it began to hurt all the time. I never had a temp. I also eventually had hiccups and I guess that is a leak symptom as well. Listen to your body :)

thank you i think maybe i will check in with my doc and see what she had to say..

My shoulder pain was from my gall bladder. I had it taken out and the pain is gone. If it keeps up, ask for an ultrasound of your gall bladder.

(null)

I had shoulder pain for a few weeks after surgery as well, I just couldn't figure it out. It only hurt when i would sleep though, really weird. But then it just went away.

I thought I was having gall bladder issues for several days, but realized that the shoulder pain was from hauling firewood and shoveling snow... first time this winter!

well i no longer have my gallbladder had that removed 17 years ago. i did talk with my doc and she sent me for a ct with contrast and every thing came back great so i guess maybe i did some thing to it and just dont know what i did. So thank you for all your feed back.

I'm so glad they sent you for a CT!! Hope they figure out what you did soon!