Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the gastric sleeve surgery and I was wanting to talk to some people that have already had this. I am 1 week post surgery. I am so hungry sometimes but they told me I wouldn't be. I am on the 3-15 day diet so there isn't much I can have.I can't seem to get the 64 oz. of Water that is required daily. I can barely get 20 oz. I think I am staying dehydrated so it makes my heart race which in turn makes me feel lousy. When does this go away or does it go away. I am 57 years old so I am older than the normal age to have this surgery. I had a heart attack in March 2009, pulmonary embolisim in Jan.2010 and had a bad car wreck May 2010. It seems I am suppose to be here so I decided to get healthy. I don't need any more hints. I am 5" 240Lbs. with a BMI of 47. I had to do something or die. My goal is to lose 100 lbs.

Well, you came to the right place. Read, search and surf around.

The first 10 days or so, your stomach is so swollen, it will be difficult to get the "required" liquids and Protein down. Just do the best you can, sipping Water, gatoraid or whatever and Protein throughout the day. It was probably a good month before I was able to hit those goals. Some days, I still have issues hitting the Water.< /p>

Try changing the temperature of the water. Also try different drinks like gatoraid, Vitamin water or whatever. I can drink those better than I can drink water. I don't know why that is, but ...

Good luck and welcome.

Oh, (((Want2BHealthy))) I so feel your pain! It's tough the first few days after surgery. Concentrate on getting your liquids in and then worry about your Protein. The Water is so important immediately post-op!

I have a checkered medical history as well, although no heart attack or car wreck so far. :::crossing fingers:::: I had DVTs and two pulmonary emboli, along with pneumonia, then I had the Come to Jesus talk with the doctors. It was have surgery or die. Obviously, I had surgery! :)

Soon you'll be feeling much better and not long after that you'll be back on solid food and you won't even remember how uncomfortable you are right now. It will happen...and when the weight starts dropping off, you'll be THRILLED.

Good luck with your journey!! :)

Thank Ya'll so much, I needed a little encouragement. I have never been able to stand Gatoraide because of the salty taste. I love Water it is just hard to get the amount I need. But if it is the swelling then I feel better about not getting the amount I need. That too will pass.

Then don't try gatorade. There are about 15 different gatorade type drinks at my local grocery store. Go buy 1 bottle of 4 of them and see if any work. You may find these easier to go down.

Crystal Light TO-GO packets are AMAZING ! It helps me get the Water down too. Sometimes you just want a little flavor. Ya know? I am pre-op and trying to adapt to some things now so it won't be such a drastic change post-op.

I also bought jars of granulated beef and chicken broth. You can take it with you easily because it doesn't need refrigeration. You can order hot water like for a cup of tea but put in a spoonful of granules.

You can get Protein pills but you have to take something like a handful a day to get enough.