Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings Everybody!

Just became a member. Many thanks to all for all the nice posts, comments and sharing VSG experiences! It is really heartening to know that I am not alone in my journey of battle of bulge, fighting obesity via VSG. That VSG is a well trodden path with abundant success stories.

My VSG is scheduled on 22nd December 2011 in Mumbai, India. I am an Indian currently in NY.

Never ever been on a hospital bed in my entire life of almost 39 years, the thought itself gives me creeps. Been an obese since a long time now, never realized when I crossed the line of overweight to obese. To me it seemed like reducing weight is just a matter of willpower i.e. balancing between calorie intake and calorie burnout. I had my successes in spates of exercising like crazy (e.g. skipping rope to the count of 5000+) and controlling my diet, but only till they lasted. Nothing sustained, and gradually I kept gaining to the current glory of 275 lbs @ 178 cm height.

Well let me admit I have been a hard core foodie, one of those who pick food guides and travel distances just to have food. I guess I am a natural at that. As a kid when mama got sick looking at me gulping food and refused to give anymore, little boy took the matters in the hands, started cooking and discovered my culinary skills. Must be a hard time for her in picking between the lesser evil i.e. serving me food Vs cleaning up after my cooking forays in her kitchen!

Surprisingly even with all that weight around me, I had a reasonably good social life and circle of friends, walking was one of my hobby (15-20 miles in a single day, no problem). Not any longer, I think age catches up, and with excess weight it catches up on the double. Cannot do any serious treadmill, elliptical and skipping a complete no, as within a single session I start limping.

Discovered few years back that I am diabetic coupled with high blood pressure, cholesterol levels and al lot more health issues just waiting in the alley if I do not shed.

So finally on 3rd Oct 2011 I left my ego of not having enough willpower on the backseat; did a reality check and took the plunge of going for VSG as a last resort.

The blogs and posts here really give insights on what to expect in VSG and prepare mentally

My biggest worries

1. Post operation level of pain

2. Not to develop a leak or other complications

3. Being able to change the lifestyle

4. Not loosing enough weight

5. Will all excess skin later require another visit to the hospital

A Very Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Welcome and congratulations for starting your journey. I am 9 days post-op and, bearing in mind that each person's response is somewhat different, we all share commonalities. To address your concerns one at a time:

1. Pain was not a problem for me. I was in the hospital overnight and had a PCA pump (patient controlled analgesia (morphine), as well as a "Q ball" with a tube going into the biggest incision, bathing the wound in local anesthetic 24/7. They took it out when I left the hospital. You will be sent home with liquid pain relief (usually some form of hydrocodone). The pain is mostly soreness.

2. I was careful in choosing my surgeon. I found one that has done this over 2,000 times with never a leak. Percentages of post-op leaks are very low and are usually due to the patient's noncompliance with the regimen (eats solid food too soon).

3. As far as not being able to adapt to the new lifestyle, (1) make sure this is what you want to do, and (2) you will be so amazed at how YOU WILL NOT BE HUNGRY that you will be able to stay on the regimen the first 6 weeks before you can pretty much eat what you want to eat, only in small quantities.

4. Not losing enough weight - again, if you stay true to your goals, you will lose the weight. You will have plateaus when you body will be adjusting, but be patient and keep one foot in front of the other.

5. Yes, all the loose skin will probably require a Tummy Tuck.< /p>

NOW, AS THEY SAY IN TEXAS - GIT HER DONE! Good luck, my friend.

VSG275, It sounds like you are currently where I was when I decided it was time to do this. I had a slew of co-morbidities and, even now, I weigh more than you do! I was told I wouldn't live another year if I didn't get this weight off. I had dropped 50 pounds last year, but one bout of pneumonia and the resultant antibiotics put that, plus more, back on me.

Pain - I had some pain. What I remember most clearly is that my legs hurt like heck from using them instead of my stomach muscles for the first couple of days. I was given liquid pain meds in the hospital, which I refused after the third dose. I didn't really feel that I was in enough pain to need them. I did need the pain meds my second night after surgery, when I came home, but I didn't know the conversion from metric to english measurements and didn't take them. So I still have an unopened bottle of Loritab liquid. I need to see if my doc's office will take them.

Leaks/Complications: There have been a couple of people here who have had one or the other. Read their stories, then read that they ALWAYS say "I'd do it again". There is a slight risk of death during any surgery. Make sure you're confident in your surgeon and do your own research into his or her post-op stats and outcomes.

Lifestyle changes - Yes. There are many lifestyle changes, the biggest of which is eating less food. I'm nearly 3 months post-op and, try as hard as I could today, I didn't reach 1500 calories. I ate ham, sweet potatos, devilled eggs, pecan pie, whipped topping, stuffing. In short, I ate anything I wanted today and logged every bite. Normally I avoid sweets, but I gave myself permission to eat whatever today without any guilt. I also tracked every morsel in a food tracker online and, despite indulging myself, didn't get to 1500 calories. I normally shoot for under 1,000 daily, but I don't think this one day is going to kill my weight loss.

Not Losing Enough Weight - You are in control of this one. You CAN put junk food in the sleeve and it will feel just fine. You will have to decide what's more important to you, eating junk or losing weight. I think that you will decide it's losing weight as soon as you see that scale going down. From the sounds of things, you used to be really into exercise, so you probably won't have a problem getting back on track once some of the weight comes off. Your co-morbidities will resolve as you lose weight as well.

Excess Skin - Many people have excess skin once they lose this weight. I've met a few people IRL who are at goal and have some excess skin. They have decided to wait until they have been maintaining their weight for a couple of years before moving forward on that. I'm still undecided myself, and I have a long way to go before I need to make that decision. You will decide what is best for you when you get to that point.

You've made the right move by signing up here and reading about other people's journeys.

Good luck on your journey!! :)

Good luck.

Age and weight are not friends. The sooner you address this, the more your joints will love you for it.

And my bet is that in a year's time you will be thinking of this as your best resort, not the last.

:biggrin:

I had diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high tryglycerides, rheumatoid arthritis. I was 40 years old and did not want to let another year go by without addressing my weight. I had tried Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers you name it over the years and they all worked but the weight never stayed off. And when it returned it always brought a few friends along for the ride.

I had surgery on 9/6/11 and already I have lost 43 pounds along with all of my medications. My blood sugar and blood pressure are now completely normal and I feel better than I have in over 15 years. I can walk and my confidence is coming back more every day. People tell me I am more outgoing, look younger and even my arthritis has improved.

I only have ONE regret about WLS and that is that I didn't do it sooner. Good luck. Know that it is a lifestyle adjustment, one that I am still learning even now. But, it is so worth it. You are worth it.