Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vertical Sleeve vs Band

Hi, I just attended my first weight loss surgery seminar last night. I went into it covinced that I wanted the band, but after listening to the presentation, I am wondering if the sleeve is not a better choice. So to all of you that have made this choice before me....what made you pick the sleeve?

I've had both. First the Lap Band and now the Sleeve. If I only had one choice in life knowing what I know now, I wouldn't even hesitate. My choice would be the Sleeve.

Look at my progress photos. My sleeve saved my life!!!

The same thing happen to me after seminar I chamged my mind and my doctor said if i wanted something permanent the sleeve would be the choice.

I also went to my first seminar yesterday. I am rethinking the LB too. I was in the LB chat this morning and two LB haters (Lab Band Bashers) had me in tears over making the wrong decision. They had the band removed to get the sleeve. Its not about being permanent for me. Its the better health choice and NOT having a foreign object in my body. I see all the fills and unfills, slips, struggles with eating and keeping it down or just getting it down blah blah blah. I'm so confused. What to do?????? How do I decide and will it be the right choice?

oma.... I recall you in chat and i think its funny that you would say that... all people that are LB haters are trying to do is to help.... remember they were once lap band lovers....

I started out looking at lapband but then I visited the revision or failed weight loss surgery board. The more I read the more I knew that my previous first choice, lap band was now my last choice. With the complications I would have about any of the surgeries before lapband.

I think we all started off wanting the Lapband. Probably because you hear about it wherever you go. Billboards, radio, TV. It's hard to get away from it. The thing that sold me on sleeve was that is was permanent and it helps alleviate the hunger hormone. The thought of having a foreign body inside of me along with having to get fills just to turn around and have it removed in 10-15 years did not sound very appealing to me once I found out about the sleeve. Some people have a hard time thinking about having a portion of their stomach removed. I am ok with it because aside from it being smaller it will still operate the same way not like bypass surgery. Good luck!

Hello there, I too was ging to have the LB and the the location that i was going thru called me and asked me why at my age (34) i would choose that over the sleeve..The answer was simple i knew nothing of the sleeve. So then i started looking into it and the pros and con's and then found this site and learned of the stories people had of the LB and knew that was not a path i wanted to take. I wanted something that was going to be simple...if you can call having 85% of your stomach removed simple.. But I am 9 days post op and for the most part am doing great have had some small bumps but nothing i can't over come. I wish you luck in your choice.

I posted almost the same question in the lapbandtalk forum this morning! Thank you all for your stories and advice! :) I am at the point where I need to decide what is best for me personally... I think I am now leaning towards sleeve.

Sabrina.

a) there is a "forum" on lapband to sleeve patients you might want to check that out-

B) I have (for another week) the lap band and am getting a revision to a sleeve-

I am NOT a lapband hater- I am not having my lapband removed because of slippage, erosion, malfunction etc. I have an auto immune disease and it is thought by my phsyicians that my body is "rejecting" the band as a foreign body in my body and not allowing me to get better physically from the auto immune issues.

I was successfull with the band- lost 100lbs and about 89 inches all over- I have since gained back about 35 lbs total over the last year due to in-activity (no exercise due to back injury) and having band un-filled-

My personal advice would be this- Unless you have only minimal weight to loose i'd say 45-75 lbs then consider the band- if you have 75+ lbs to loose then look at your other options- The studies when I was banded 3 years ago about the sleeve were not available and now that I am being sleeved there are new studies out about the band. I am reading now that the band is normally only reccomended for 4-5 years and that statistically most band pts have it removed and revisioned into something else.

Only you and your doctor know what is best for you, your body and your future- You should not let anyone on here persuade or disuade you. We all have made whatever decisions we made on our own- Yes it is nice to have advice and opinions BUT you have to live with what you decide etc...

There is a pain in the arse factor too about the band with fills, follow up etc- looking back it was a bit of a pain but not to inconvenient- AND there were a lot of foods I couldnt eat but I found new foods that I did like that I would have NEVER tried before.. So for me it wasnt a complete loss...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do- I'm sure you will do great!

Initially I wanted the band as well. I visited one doctor who was totally gung ho about doing the band, but he and his office made me feel like I was in line at the deli counter and they were yelling "Next"! Then I attended a seminar held at the hospital where later had my surgery. My doctor told us that the Band was good for people who "just" overeat, but that it was not the ideal choice for those whose weight problem was related to sweet foods. Bingo! He explained that sweet foods are things that go down really easy and the sleeve limits how much of them you can eat whereas the band allows those foods to slide right past and then you still aren't losing weight.

At our first appointment, I had to tell the surgeon what I wanted, and then he told me what he would recommend. We agreed that the sleeve is best for me. And, so far, it is STILL the best for me.

I did a ton of research on both and noticed that LOTS of lap banders end up having revision within a few years, and it didn't seem like many of them were reaching goal, or even 100 pounds lost. In contrast, when I researched the sleeve, there are tons of 100 pounds lost posts, and many I Hit Goal posts. And, even when complications are mentioned, they are (in my opinion) less body trauma than the ones I saw with the LB. Personally, I'd take having to be fed by IV any day over "esophageal erosion". I'd prefer having a stent installed in my stomach until I am completely healed to "My band slipped and I can't eat or drink anything". Those were samples of the complications I found.

I also could only afford one surgery. I decided on the one that I feel will give me a better long term result without needing revision.

Hi, i had the same issue went for the lapband and came out wanting the sleeve, but now that i have a date, my aunt started telling me id dangerous that she does not agree on this to think about my boys and I really want this. what do you guys think.

Good Luck all.