Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having a little trouble with this and was hoping for some ideas from you all. How did you begin to make working out a priority in your life? Don't get me wrong. I am one of the lucky ones. After the first couple of weeks of working out, I start to love it and miss it if I don't for a couple of days. However, I have a problem making my health a priority in my life. I am learning to eat multiple times a day instead of skipping food until about 3 in the afternoon. I get so busy I just don't think about it. Also, I usually wind up giving up working out when my life gets hectic. I always feel like I have so much to do, I don't have time. There are days where I start at 630 am and am literally involved in something until bed time. I know that people find the time. In fact, I would like to make it a priority. I just don't know what I will have to drop or how to restructure so that it gets done. Usually, I do have a little time at the end of the day, but a workout really wakes me up and if I want to go to bed at all, its not a good idea. I'm really not a morning person, but need to motivate myself to do it then I believe. So how do you do it? How did you all make yourself a priority? I'm almost glad my surgery isn't until January so that I have some time to learn this. I need to get into this habit before both the surgery and grad school next year when life is going to go crazy again. I will be attending school at the beach and have always admired those people who get up and jog on the beach in the morning. It seems like an amazing way to start the day!

Thanks,

I recommend starting with finding easy ways to fit things in. Instead of searching for a parking spot close to a building, park far away and walk further. It takes about the same time. Think of things you do that will let you do something else at the same time. For instance, if you are sitting for a period of time, you can do some arm exercises while sitting.

My personal trainer suggested that I sit forward on the edge of my chair and hold my stomach in and then release it. Do this once or twice a day for 10 to 15 times, and you are working your core/gut area. People won't even realize you are doing it. You can do the same thing when waiting in line.

These are just a few things, but there can be others. I usually get some work out time in during my family's transition times. This is early in the morning or when everyone arrives home after school/work.

Other things you can do -- take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk instead of drive. If you are standing, you can go up on your tippy toes and back down over and over to work the back of your calves, etc.

Working out is never a priority in my life. I have way too many other things I need to do. I try to amp-up the things I do have to do and burn more calories that way. Playing with my daughter, walking the dog, cleaning the house. All of those things can be pumped up and allows me to burn more and still get what I need done. I am sure I look like I belong in a looney bin sometimes but I dont care lol. There have been times in my life when I like getting in a good workout. It was never something I wanted to do, always something I had to do. For example, If I wanted to buy a new pair of shoes or go see a movie (really anything fun), I had to work out first. Soon I was getting obsessed with counting calories and burning them that exercising was becoming fun.

Thank you for the advice. I do many of the things you both mentioned. I guess I just need to amp it up a little further. I am pretty active and get out and play with my son, as well as hike and ride my bike a few times a week. My job is also extremely active. I guess I should look at all that I AM actually doing and try to amp it up instead of focusing on finding time for a formal workout.