Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacation, Lap Band and Flying

thanks leetha

I guess I got scared about flying because I read afew horror stories on the complications part of this web site and it scared the crap outta me. now am i just fooling myself that i can do this I mean I start the pre op diet on wed and i am here eating chocolate and cheeesies. Geeze does this ever stop?

Before I moved, I obtained a needle from my fill doctor. He also said the needle used for the mediport would work.

According to my surgeon, the cabin restriction can also be caused by air in the band or tube to band. I have not really had a problem. In the 15 months I have been banded, I have been to Africa 2 times (and then moved there), France, and Mexico.

When I went to France, I delayed a fill. When I went to Mexico, I had my fill reduced. I know getting fills and unfills isn't cheap, but vacations aren't either and I don't want to spend my trip looking for a dr, going to a clinic, etc.

Remember, many things can and will change your restriction. Last summer, I rode motorcycle home from Idaho to ND in temperatures over 100 and could barely tolerate Water. So I just sipped it as much as possible and drank it warm.

Its 3:30 am right now and I work up about an hour ago with major gurgling just drinking Water. So I am sitting up and drinking tea until my band calms down. I am sure its stress related tonight.

Yes, when we go places we need to do our homework up front. But I live 2 1/2 air hours away from the closest dr (not fill dr, just any sanitary dr) and I wouldn't give up my band. I'm loving being within 2 pounds of BMI = normal!!

Experienced Frequent Flyers...Would it help to not eat anything before a flight? I do a lot of international flying and am scheduled to be banded 8/9, so am concerned.

I didn't mean for this post to turn into a "don't go on vacation" thread at all, and I am sorry if I mislead some. Heck, I am going on vacation again to Hawaii in September! I just wanted to post my experience because it was miserable to try and get an unfill while out of state, etc. I learn a lot from others experiences on here and have found many answers to my questions and concerns by searching. I think we all have differences with the band and if we can learn from others, great! I don't regret having the band at all and I am glad to be filled! I lost lbs on vacation and gained it back plus some after the unfill, but now I am back to losing since my fill.

I fly every week with work.. .and I've had to be unfilled twice we think due to flying... both times I've been fine and then a couple of days later I get so tight I can't keep stuff down. It's so incredibly frustrating.

I also got unbearable restriction one time from flying, but not other times. It totally ruined my holiday as I couldnt eat, but could drink. I lost a lot of weight!!

Since that one flight my restiction never worked out, either too tight or too loose. Now I know that my band has slipped. Im wondering if it was because I was too tight during my holiday, or maybe I was too tight because the band was already slipped.

Its something I will never know.

Check with your doc.....I think the barimetric pressure is wreaking havoc on you. It squeezes you...so your band could slip..or maybe not slip but your insides got squeezed and aren't quite where they were...no a huge difference...i just mean slighly.

I know when you fly they tell you to keep your legs moving so that you don't get blood clots....so that altitude can do some freaky stuff to you!

Happy Flying!!!!

okay I was worried enough about this one, I talked to my doc. First the blood clots are not cuz of flying itself and the altitude, but the fact that you are jammed into a chair for hours on end with no movement. As for the band, i told them what i was reading on this website and they have had no experience with it with their patients but they said usually on vacation most would not be filled as they are on VACATION< so that was a lesson for me

Wouldn't you get blood clots while in bed then???? (not everyone moves in their sleep---I just learned that from the sleep apnea tech) Hmmmm. Just a thought. I think I will ask again next time I see my Doc.

I think the theory there is that while lying down, your blood doesn't pool as much as it would while sitting bent at the hip (think kinked Water hose). As a person who developed their first clot on their very first plane ride, I tend to think there are other factors at play as well. Such as compression/decompression, close proximity, not being able to move much, hydration/dehydration. I suspect if you get enough of the factors going all at once you can cause a clot anywhere. I think I've posted an article stating that sitting at your puter for too long is also conducive to clotting and cautioned just as much as 'economy class syndrome'.

Unfortunately, my second DVT and later PE DID develop from sitting at the computer for too many hours. :)

See link http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2988&highlight=blood+clot

Hi, just a small point here, we do actually move a lot in our sleep ie roll around etc. My auntie with MS needs to get someone to help her do this at night. I am not sure why we are compelled to move in our sleep but our body forces us to!!!

Also, with me, I fly a lot & only got greatly effected once. Im thinking I was too tight anyway & this took me over the edge. My last flight I was empty & had little consequences from the flight.

My surgeon believes that some people definatly are effected, its not a myth.