Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Oz and the 700 pound woman

Did anyone else see this show? It was about a woman who's something like 700 pounds and wants to become the fattest woman in the world. I found it heartbreaking. I'm so glad that I took a different path. But as I watched Dr. Oz and his offers to help her, I also wondered if he shouldn't just leave her be. I hate to say this but with her health issues and massive weight, even getting to a weight of 300 pounds would require massive surgeries. And while she is in complete denial about her health issues, I can't see her being able to survive any surgical option at all even if they were able to get her mentally ready to accept a complete change in her life.

Every now and then people will ask about being too old or too young to accept surgical help. I would just encourage people who are not in denial to get the help sooner than later. It's so sad to see lives wasted to obesity.

I saw it, I couldn't help but feel that she has some real mental issues--she was hearing what he was telling her, but it was like she was not processing it correctly... I feel bad for her, but I don't see anything changing unless she gets psy help

I saw it, I couldn't help but feel that she has some real mental issues--she was hearing what he was telling her, but it was like she was not processing it correctly... I feel bad for her, but I don't see anything changing unless she gets psy help

I agree. But I think people can get lost in obesity. It snowballs on you. As you eat and get fat, the fat eats away at your freedom in life. I think she was too boxed in to face reality. It's why I really encourage people to face their truth. If they need surgical help, now that it's so commonly available, don't just keep struggling on your own. You can give in to this and let it take your life in more ways than death.

Everyone strugges early on after surgery. It gets better fast and you'll forget all about the hard days. And this is a better life.

Either she has underlying psych problems or she just feels like there isn't any hope of losing it, so she just went for fatter.

I did not see the show, but it seems like she has given up. It's like her weight has gotten to the point where she gave up. She doesn't believe she has any hope. In her point of view it's like she said "well, since I can't be the smallest let's shoot for the biggest, at least I'll be known for something then". It is very sad that anybody can get to that point of desperation. She needs a lot more psychological help before she will ever be able to consider surgery. It is one of those things that the person needs to want to help themselves before others can help them. They can talk to her all they want but if she is stuck in the mind frame nothing is going to change.

I watched it yesterday and I found the woman actually was not in as much denial when dr oz showed her his results and the results from her own doc. I think she is hiding behind her food addiction at this point . And has been doing this for so long she doesnt want to be wrong for all the damage she is doing to herself.

The poor kids are already emotionally destroyed, Now what??

I just watch it. I cannot believe she actually happy that way. She is covering so deep deep dark issues. She needs some help. In saying that she needs to help herself. She has not hit bottom yet. The problem with that is when she hits bottom it may be too late. I am praying she gets help and wish her and her family the best.

I haven't seen the episode, but I'm looking it up online to watch it.

There was a woman similar to her whowas famous last year- Donna Simpson. I'm sure a lot of you have heard about her. She weighed 600 lbs and wanted to weigh 1000 lbs, but later backed down from her announcement when she started getting death threats. She had a toddler and a 15 year old son- she actually set the world record for the fattest woman to give birth. She has her own website where people would pay her to eat food- and she uses that money to buy more food. It's a sad and vicious cycles.

I guess some people just reach a point where they give up. I know from Donna Simpson's story, she used to struggle with her weight and came to the point where she "realized" her body was simply meant to be fat.

I hope these people get the help they need. I guess in theory one can be "fat and healthy", but consciously trying to gain weight when that person's already super morbidly obese!?!? I know the "gainers" are outcasts even in the Size Acceptance movement. It's sick that these people (mainly women) endanger themselves for the sexual entertainment of some fetishists.

I saw the show. It was so sad. I will have to say she was pretty mobile for being so big though. I felt bad for her sons.

I haven't seen the episode, but I'm looking it up online to watch it.

There was a woman similar to her whowas famous last year- Donna Simpson. I'm sure a lot of you have heard about her. She weighed 600 lbs and wanted to weigh 1000 lbs, but later backed down from her announcement when she started getting death threats. She had a toddler and a 15 year old son- she actually set the world record for the fattest woman to give birth. She has her own website where people would pay her to eat food- and she uses that money to buy more food. It's a sad and vicious cycles.

I guess some people just reach a point where they give up. I know from Donna Simpson's story, she used to struggle with her weight and came to the point where she "realized" her body was simply meant to be fat.

I hope these people get the help they need. I guess in theory one can be "fat and healthy", but consciously trying to gain weight when that person's already super morbidly obese!?!? I know the "gainers" are outcasts even in the Size Acceptance movement. It's sick that these people (mainly women) endanger themselves for the sexual entertainment of some fetishists.

Wow. She had a baby at 500+ pounds? It's actually rather amazing what the human body can do.

I saw the show. It was so sad. I will have to say she was pretty mobile for being so big though. I felt bad for her sons.

The one clip of her laying back on a couch, and just sort of flipping her leggs and crossing them floored me. She was very mobile, even for someone who was more like 350 pounds! I was sort of amazed when she went over and stood for about 4 or 5 minutes while Dr. Oz went over the danger chart with her. Didn't seem to be an issue for her to stand still. I guess I can see why and how she could sort of delude herself into thinking she has no real issues.

She is getting paid. Probably a lot! You couldn't get me to take a picture naked and I was only 290. She may be sick, but I think she likes the attention. She went on the show to be harassed by the audience. She did it for the $. She can certainly move very well for a big girl. Her numbers may be through the roof, but that doesn't mean she will have a heart attack .

Anyone able to find a clip of it? Can you post it here? Thanks!

Anyone able to find a clip of it? Can you post it here? Thanks!

You can find the whole episode, in 5 parts, on his website. It is titled "dying to be the fattest woman" but I am pretty sure it is the same lady.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dying-be-fattest-woman-pt-1

I totally agree with the money thing. Publicity and money will make a person do a lot of things, especially if they're feeling hopeless. The more press and attention she gets, the more monetary opportunities she'll receive.

She is getting paid. Probably a lot! You couldn't get me to take a picture naked and I was only 290. She may be sick, but I think she likes the attention. She went on the show to be harassed by the audience. She did it for the $. She can certainly move very well for a big girl. Her numbers may be through the roof, but that doesn't mean she will have a heart attack .