Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post op doing good but have some questions..

hey everyone!

got out of the hospital yesterday, procedure went well, no complications, pretty enlarged liver but that will get better with the weight loss...

of course the gas pains, how horrible! i forced myself to walk a few hours after the operation a crap ton, all over the floor i walked, a total of 3 times. i started out with gas pains in my shoulders and chest, but by the time i came home just internal GI gas. i have had a very rough time with the incision sites, mainly the one where they had to "pry" it open manually to get the stomach out, my Phy. Assist. that works with my doctor during the operations commented that my stomach looked like a dead pig when they took it out, lol! had a good laugh from that.

i got about 8 oz of Protein down in about a hour or two, and have had some Water and other things today, taking the pain med pills, and am going to take my Vitamins and such later.

any ideas or tips? whats the bet way to tell if i getting fluids in well? i kinda feel like i dont have a whole lot of restriction, but im not going to press my luck either, i fear vomiting and getting sick..

but i am blessed so far. not hungry at all :) i hope it stays like this

thanks guys!

-Mike

For the first couple of weeks, hydration needs to be your focus. Don't worry about the Protein just yet. I LIVED on large cups of soft, crushed ice from Sonic (at least one/day) for the first week. I kept it in the freezer and portioned out small (very small toddler sized cups) and ate on it all day. I also had several, several sugar free popsicles each day. For the first several days, that was all I had. I probably started adding a Protein shake/day at about 4 days out. I was also allowed Tomato Soup, chicken broth, and sf hot chocolate but the ice and popsicles were what I wanted most.

Best wishes! The first week was pretty tough, but every day got better after that.

What the other poster said. Focus on your liquids. The first few weeks I got too hung up on getting my Protein in, and I didn't get adequate hydration. I drank mostly fruit juice for calories before I could drink full liquids. The full Protein drinks are a lot more palatable than the clear ones for me. fruit juice is high in sugar and carbs and isn't recommended, but I needed to get some calories or I would have nothing.

I kind of was curious to see what my stomach looked like after they took it out. I'm glad I didn't ask though, I probably would have fainted if I saw it lol.

Congrats on your new sleeve :) I hope you have a speedy recovery.

It sounds to me like you're doing great! Keep it up!

i just met my Fluid goals of the day :D ( thank you propel grape :) )

im going to use the rest of the time to push some more Protein, but so far, good first day on my own. thanks for the support fellas ( and ladies :) )

Great job Mike! Keep it up with everything your doing. A tip I have with the Protein Drinks is put ice in it. It takes so long for us to drink it in the beginning that it gets warm and tastes like crap LOL keep it iced and it will stay cold and it also adds a little extra Fluid. :)

Great job Mike! Keep it up with everything your doing. A tip I have with the Protein drinks is put ice in it. It takes so long for us to drink it in the beginning that it gets warm and tastes like crap LOL keep it iced and it will stay cold and it also adds a little extra Fluid. :)

LOL

yeah i told my wife about that today, im having a Atkins advantage shake right now, 15 grams protein...its kinda wierd....i have restriction...but i dont! as long as im sipping, i can finish whatever i want with really no issues. i still have that damn gas tho! not sound give out TMI but i cant pass it at that end! i even go as far as to sit on the tolet and try but it seems to only want to show its face when im sitting on the couch or laying down! anyone else have issues like that??

Hi Mike,

Glad you're doing well with your liquids. The gas can be really bad. I ate a whole box of Gas-X chewables the first week. That helped a lot. My gas was worse when I finally tried sleeping in my bed. I would lay down flat and the pain would almost be immediate. I hope you get over it soon.

Keep up the good work.

Hi Mike,

Glad you're doing well with your liquids. The gas can be really bad. I ate a whole box of Gas-X chewables the first week. That helped a lot. My gas was worse when I finally tried sleeping in my bed. I would lay down flat and the pain would almost be immediate. I hope you get over it soon.

Keep up the good work.

yeah im going to see if my wonderful wife can get me some gas-x tomorrow. its like sitting right at the end but i cant get it to come out! its aggravating! things have been getting weirder and wierder all day/night. i was just able to drink an entire 11 oz Atkins advantage Protein shake in like..15-20 minutes. no pain, just flowed right in.. no hunger guys, but this level of restriction..is it good? again, no hunger. so i am just trying to reach my Protein goals for the day, which i did.. took the multi-vitia as well.

You probably feel good right now because you are only on liquids. When you start eating food... OMG you will feel the restriction. Even now, almost 6 weeks out, I can eat a yogurt or applesauce pretty well. When I start eating chicken or other dense Protein, watch out! The restriction kicks right in! Right now I think you're pretty normal. I think you'll get the real wake up when you get to solid foods like I did. I remember trying to eat refried Beans with added Water (very thin) and felt like they were so heavy I was going to die. And that was at 2 weeks out. You WILL feel that restriction.

Yep, wondering is exactly right. I still remember the first time I felt "full" after eating less than a whole scrambled egg. Weirdest feeling ever!

Hello Mike, I am so jealous of you right now. Today i´m 3 days post op and I can barely get down a whole 8oz bottle of Water in one day. I go back and forth to chewing on ice, but i really want to be able to drink something instead. I did try some warm chicken broth today, which surprised me because i was able to get down about a qtr. of a cup...teaspoon by teaspoon at a time. The gas is horrendous, when i woke up from surgery, i was literally begging the nurse to let me get up and walk lol. She finally let me get up about 2 hours later. I started popping Gas-x strips while in the hospital, but they shut that down very quicky because they said there was gas medicine comeing through my IV. I sure didn´t feel it! But now that i´m out and about, the gas pain really did lessen and i feel like I can take a nice stroll without feeling like im ready to jump back in to bed. As far as bowel movements, my doc also gave me something to take home for that...it´s chalky and disgusting, but it actually worked! I think i´´ll t ake the tips of some of the other posters and try some sugar free popscicles....of course i´ll have to remove the 50 or so icee pops that the "kids" already have in the deep freeze. lol.

I wanna be like Mike! lol

Good luck to you!