Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey,

Not wanting to get drawn into anything, but thought I'd share my experiences. I used to love those McDonald's caramel sundaes. I got one at about 5 months out from surgery, just for a taste more than anything. After just a few spoonfuls it made me feel pretty queasy. It was way too sweet and sickly tasting and didn't sit well on my stomach at all. This is coming from someone with a pretty 'hardy' sleeve too!

I think it's because I was tough on myself at the beginning about not eating anything remotely 'bad' for me, so when I do come to try junk food Snacks that I used to eat by the bucketload, I really notice how sweet or greasy or fatty they taste. I think the longer you stay away from something, the more you lose the taste for it, and I believe this is especially true with the sensitivity of the sleeve. I just thought I'd give my two cents' worth for you to consider going forward with your journey. Enjoy the glory weight loss days!

PS. I really wouldn't worry about not getting your calories in so soon out. I could hardly get in any calories at all for weeks and weeks afterwards, as much as I tried. I think most people on here will tell you the same thing too. I'm 7 months out now and I still struggle sometimes to get above 1,000 a day. It didn't impede my weight loss or health in any way. Just concentrate on making yourself feel well and doing the best for you.

:)

Ice cream is on my NO list! My doc and nutritionist said absolutely No higher calorie slider foods! No juices, millshakes, mashed potatoes.... The like... Protein Protein Protein! The 1st month has been such a struggle!.. Now I am starting to realize more and more that the higher quality the food I put in my body, the better it performs! I want to eat empty calories too sometimes...lol I have not just a goal weight but a goal size. I purchased a pair of Miss Me jeans. I want to wear them when I go to New York in May. If I get the urge to snack........ I think of them.

You are really the only one who can decide what you eat and how much weight you lose. Use a weight loss tracker to keep track of your loss. I wish you the best of luck. Mel

To those of you that are offended by my question....if you don't like it, its simple.....just don't answer. I do not Have the time or desire to nit pick with you about a question. I'm done with that. We are all grown ups, and this is beyond ridiculous. For those that gave me an honest opinion without the superior attitude, I thank you. This is the second time in days That I have seen squabbles on this board. Oddly the other one included the same people. I'm here looking for advice. This is the first time I've had had this done. I am looking for sound advice (not put Downs) of others that have gone before me. I value those of You that Have been kind. I will continue to come to this board because they're are some really great and helpful individuals here. I refuse to get sucked in to childish computer bullying.

Hi meggs, I'm truly sorry you feel like you were being chastised. I personally didn't see any chastising, but perception is reality to each person.

I'll tell you what I went through, and maybe you can take that as some advice and apply it to your own cause, or perhaps not. It's your journey and you should take whatever road you choose. Just remember, Oz is only found on one... so choose wisely.

I was 2 months post op and was only on solid foods for a few weeks. I chose to eat a bowl of Cereal with real milk. I hadn't really even tried cold hard dairies like this yet, but I guess I wanted some so bad I didn't think about any consequences at the time. You know, this is a classic response from someone who is a food addict. Act now, think later... and perhaps suffer! That I did. I got the worst case of lactose intolerance and high blood sugar I think I've gotten to date.

I was up sick all night long, worst stomach cramps, on the toilet, retching, sweating, heart pounding, dizzying effect ever. I can tell you this, it scared the **** outta me and I haven't had one single bowl of Cereal since. I didn't ask for advice prior to, and yes I'd seen around that folks could get lactose intolerance but I guess I just didn't care or ignored the advice. I paid for it big time.

Knowing milk made me sick, I didn't even want to consider what real ice cream would do to me!! Ice Cream would even make me sick sometime Pre-Opt... forget Post-Opt.

Over time of not eating these foods, I began to realize that I didn't need these foods anyway. These were the foods that got me to over 300 Lbs, and needing to lose a grown human male's worth of pounds. I had a long journey that lay ahead, and I've already traveled a million miles to get where I was even then.

I just found better, healthier alternatives to give in to the cravings I would have. I can have Yoplait Light Yogurt. Many don't like it because it's too sweet, but I love it. It's a better choice.

I think the number one enemy to myself was always SUGAR. Sugar was my frenemy. It soothed me, made me happy, triggered all the responses in my brain that an addict gets when feeding that addiction. But, in return what would it really do for me? It made me Super Morbidly Obese, miserable, wearing clothes the size of circus tents, I looked terrible and I was extremely UNHEALTHY... both physically and mentally.

Not everyone realizes this the second they have surgery. I sure didn't. It took me a few rounds of crazy sugar dumping to learn to cut the ties from it. Now, I look on every single label of every single thing I put in my mouth to see how much sugar is in it. My results for this diligence is me getting to all my goals, feeling great, healthy, having more energy than I have ever had in my life, being HAPPY and but best of all, being freed of the PRISON of FAT I was living in for decades.

All the best to you, and your decisions from here on.

ETA: I would also like to point out that our stomach heal quickly. I wouldn't dare eat some of the things I eat now at 2 weeks out. I'm glad I've chose to make better choices out in the beginning, because I can certainly eat much more now than in the beginning.

I had a kid sized ice cream cone from McDonald's recently. I am one month out. I would not recommend it. I felt really sick and regretted it. I did not throw up but it came out the other end quite violently. I don't think I would do this again but fat free frozen yogurt might be ok. What about something cold and sweet that you can make? I put a banana, milk, and vanilla Protein powder in a blender then froze it. It didn't take like ice cream exactly but I got my fix and got some Protein.< /p>

I don't think anybody is trying to chastise you. Just encouraging you to make good choices. I don't make great choices every minute of the day but I try very hard and I'm sure you do too. For me, I just don't want this to be another failure on my part so I have to keep myself diligent.

Good luck and keep the faith!

The sleeve is a tool and to build a temple it takes smart use of said tool. I know you said one ice cream didn't make you fat and of course it didn't but the habits that you fostered (McDonalds) did. With it being so easy to fall back into bad habits, I would use the grace period to retrain myself to make long lasting and better decisions. A 'low fat' cone from McDonalds is 10% saturated fat, has 60mg of sodium and 24g of carbs. Grabbed this recipe for ya, I have made them before and they are tasty, hope it helps the craving.:)

b6c42061ce8af0bb_RASPBERRY_YOGURT_POPS.jpg

RASPBERRY YOGURT POPSICLES

Serves 10

Raspberry Yogurt Popsicles are a fun and refreshing way to cool off in the summer sun. This healthy blend of antioxidants, organic superfoods, and lean vegan Protein deliver a delicious and sweetly satisfying treat anytime of day!

This delectable dessert is 100% Natural. Organic. Raw. Vegan. Gluten-Free. sugar-free. Low Fat. Safe for Diabetics.

Check out the recipe when you read more.

Ingredients: *Always Use Organic*

• 1 cup plain organic soy yogurt
  • 1 organic banana
  • 3 cups organic raspberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/8 cup purified Water

What You'll Need:

• Recycled bamboo craft sticks
  • Blender
  • BPA-free popsicle mold
  • Pouring spoon
  • 1 medium glass bowl

What to Do:

Mix yogurt and banana in a blender for 30 seconds until smooth. Pour into glass bowl and set aside. Mix raspberries, lemon juice, and Water in blender until smooth. Pour yogurt mixture evenly into 10 (2-oz.) popsicle molds. Top with raspberry mixture and swirl. Have fun with it! Cover with pop mold lid, and insert craft sticks. Leave 2 inches sticking out of each pop. Freeze for 6 hours (or until sticks are solid and the pops are completely frozen). Eat and enjoy!

Oh wow... well if anything it has sparked my interest! I'm going to give these a try... THANKS!!!

I agree! Thanks Ralph Cramden..er CT Fats for posting that recipe! I'm going to share it with my Bariatric Group friends! Another good idea when you want a nice frozen treat is to take a tub of low fat (FF) Cool Whip and freeze it. It tastes almost as good as ice-cream. You could also blend in FF pudding (choc or van) before freezing to give it more flavor. Another one of my friends also suggested taking your fav. zero calorie flavored water and freezing it until it turns into a slushly... This is really refreshing.. I use the Sobe Vitamin (0-cal) Water and its good!

Yvette :)

post-4393-13813657408868_thumb.jpg

And this is EXACTLY what keeps me from eating sugary stuff now. I am afraid of doing just this!

If it has more than 6g of real sugar in it, I don't touch it!

KElly :)

I had a kid sized ice cream cone from McDonald's recently. I am one month out. I would not recommend it. I felt really sick and regretted it. I did not throw up but it came out the other end quite violently. I don't think I would do this again but fat free frozen yogurt might be ok. What about something cold and sweet that you can make? I put a banana, milk, and vanilla Protein powder in a blender then froze it. It didn't take like ice cream exactly but I got my fix and got some Protein.< /p>

I don't think anybody is trying to chastise you. Just encouraging you to make good choices. I don't make great choices every minute of the day but I try very hard and I'm sure you do too. For me, I just don't want this to be another failure on my part so I have to keep myself diligent.

Good luck and keep the faith!

Sure you can. I will warn you though that you might get sick. Anything with too much sugar and my heart races and I feel like I have dumping syndrome. I had a milkshake about 3 weeks out had a few bites of it and I was done.

I'm still trying to find the comments made by TexasTeacher and Tiffykins that were supposedly rude.... I've been on this board for a few months and have never seen them give anything but sound advice to anyone that has asked. Now, others may not like what they have to say, but realistically, no one likes to be told (especially adults) that they have made bad choices. The simple fact of the matter is, this is a PUBLIC forum. So, if a question is asked, ANYONE can answer it. You don't have to like the answers you get, but you also don't have to start pointing fingers and throwing tantrums because you don't like to be told "no, you made a bad choice". Both of these sleevers are correct in letting you know that you made a poor choice in food. One even offered an alternative to the bad food choice. Call me crazy, but I do believe that is what ADVICE is.... 2 weeks out of surgery, a new sleever should be focusing on changing the habits that put them in the position to have to alter their physical being in order to get healthy. We've all done it. And, we've all made a fair share of our mistakes.... however, when I did eat that half a chocolate chip cookie that my daughter couldn't finish the other day, I KNEW it was wrong and didn't have to ask anyone if I'd made a mistake. Just saying!

you should try eating yogurt its very nutritional, or better yet drink a Protein shake.You can even make one with fruits of your choice.

Glad you guys dig the recipe, as I said they are tasty as all get out. Good luck meggspeggs and congrats on the surgery! BigGurl, Ralph Cramden...I wish he was nice and lean. LOL

I'm 5.5 months out and sometimes I NEED to hear the truth as it is when I'm considering eating something I know is not a good choice, not people telling me "It's fine to eat junk because you need extra calories"or whatever the case may be. I would appreciate a healthy alternative being offered in place of the poorer choice. But I guess that's me.

I figure after all the time,money,energy,pain, put into this life altering decision, I certainly WANT the truth.

Good luck to all! We are ALL amazing just by being here!:)

I looked this up. 1/2 of a McD's ice cream cone is 65 calories, 2 grams of fat, 10 carbs and 2 grams of Protein. I'm out far enough that I can have other things. But if I'm out with people and wanting to be in "blend in mode", this just isn't a terrible option to me. It's higher in carbs than a lot of people want but I'm not shooting for perfect, just sane and reasoned. And to me, I'm looking for the best of the choices when in life.

At lot of my research is along the lines of the "eat this, not that" concept. Life is going to put me places where I have to roll with it. So I'm reading the nutrition info for common places ahead of time. I've read people here who have talked about having chicken mcnuggents when in a position of having to eat at a fast food place. For my money, 1/2 of this cone (and as I said earlier, I don't eat the cone) is not a bad option and better than Mcnuggets.

Personally, when I'm in control of my situation, I love Kay's Naturals Snacks as an option. But they are soy Protein which means carbs. So while they are low sugar, low fat and high protein, they are high carb. Others might think they are evil incarnate. You can only research and decide for yourself what works. (Speicifically, I love the cinnamon pretzels...120 calories, something like 2 sugars and 12 grams of protein. I want people to buy them so they keep making them.)