Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP.! Im starting to get really SCARED for my health... :(

Ok so I know its a little TMI but I haven't gone "#2" for 10 days now. I read on the previous forums that this may be pretty common but i just wanna make sure that everything is still ok. Also, since I haven't "#2'd" I have gained a total of 4 lbs. What am I doing wrong? I am now currently on my 2nd stage diet and eating soft foods. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance...

Everything is okay from what I read here on the boards. I was concerned too--quite a few people said take Miralax everyday. I have been taking since Monday (I got the prepackaged type) and I just went a few moments ago.

Also, I have been gaining weight everyday too. Despite me working out and getting more Water in.

Best to you.

I say this over and over again, but those of you that take laxatives that don't need them are going to pay for it later in life!!!

Simply not going to the bathroom DOES NOT mean you are constipated!! If you were constipated, you would know it! Taking those when it is not necessary will do damage to your colon and when you get older, you will pay for it.

If you are not eating anything to get rid of, how on earth could you expect to poop? When our primary fuel source now is Protein and our body uses all of it, there isn't any waste! Be careful!

Kelly

This is just a suggestion. I have had a history of not eating properly. So never had the sufficient amount of Fiber. Also Wheat and Gluten intolerant and would cause loose stools until I understood that was my problem and removed as much as possible from my diet. Pre-Surgery I took Fiber with Psyllium. I have tried things like Benefiber but it took too long to decide it was going to work. I even give it to my kids with the first sign of diarrhea. I also take it because it seems to make me go more regularly. Something to consider.

After the surgery and the stuff I took for the leak test the diarrhea started again. I started taking my Psyllium and have been going each day.

One other suggestion try drinking some warm Water with lemon. I don't know why it works but it worked for me when I needed a more immediate response.

Thank you for the advise. I have talked to my DR finally and he did say that on some occasions, this can occur to patients whose had WLS. He also said, that just because it happens pretty often, it doesn't mean that we are to IGNORE it.! He even gave me kuddos for at least trying something. He has advised me to try some enema and magnesium citrate and has instructed me to contact him again if that does not work..

I'm pretty sure that just eating lots of Fiber won't damage your colon in ANY way, no matter how old you get. In fact, I have yet to see any indications that a high fiber diet has any negative consequences, aside from possibly a little flatulence at first, and in the specific case of someone with diverticulosis during a flare-up. That's it -- otherwise, taking lots of fiber (including "laxatives" like Metamucil that are just megafiber) won't hurt you in any way.

In the short term, however, I wouldn't worry too much about not pooping unless you're suffering in some other way (pain, vomiting, etc.) Of course: talk to your doc :)

I have had trouble with Constipation a couple of times since surgery (more than 4 days without a bm), and I needed to go but was not able to. My surgeon recommended that I use a glycerine suppository. He told me not to use it all the time and to try taking milk of magnesia first, but that if the milk of mag. didn't work then to go ahead and try the suppository. It worked within 20 minutes. I don't think it's a problem to use a laxative every once in a while, just try not to use it consistently because of dependency.