Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just a question regarding eating

Hello everyone.

I thought I would send in my question because most of you are experts and I know I will get a good answer from you guys.

I am 4 weeks out. I am transitioning into the Soft Foods today. However, up until now, I have been struggling to get much of any kind of food in me. I eat like 2 or 3 teaspoon bites, and I can't eat any more. I think the most I have gotten in calorie wise is maybe 300 to 350 calories a day. The same goes with fluids. I can not seem to get hardly in fluids in me without becoming extremely full. I can not stomach Water, even with lemon in it. It does not sit well in my tummy. When I do drink just Water, I feel sick to my stomach.

I just want to know if this is normal or should I be discussing this with my surgeon?

Thanks for the help experts. I look forward to your replies.

Sheila

The eating part is okay--a few spoonfuls is supposed to fill you up, and before you know it you will be able to eat more. People's stomachs heal at different rates and some folks can eat lots more early after surgery, others, not so much. The Water thing, though, you need to address. Plain water can taste nasty. Some people report having good luck with Crystal Lite added to it, or drinking low-cal Gatorade, or bottled water. One lady hated the taste of artificial sweeteners in Crystal Lite and drank Kool-Aid made with sugar. I don't think that's necessarily a good thing, but she needed the fluids and her calories, like yours, were so low that she could use sugar and still lose. Try something besides water that's water-based. Dehydration is something you want to avoid.

Agreed, you really need to focus on the liquids. You don't want to become dehydrated. Theres the G2, Powerade Zero, propel, Crystal Light, etc. It sounds like you still have a lot of swelling. This usually goes away by wk 4-6. You may want to discuss this with your dr if things don't get easier soon.

As the previous posters stated YES it's pretty normal. After about 3 months you'll be able to eat more, six and you'll be able to eat a fair amount. You pretty much traumatized you poor little stomach and they cut off more than they left behind, he's feeling kinda blue and your entire metabolism is going haywire trying to cope with the lack of calories. It will heal and you will be able to eat. Again as previously stated, just stay hydrated and good old H2O is the best way to get it. Take the drinks if you want but wa-wa is best.

As the previous posters stated YES it's pretty normal. After about 3 months you'll be able to eat more, six and you'll be able to eat a fair amount. You pretty much traumatized you poor little stomach and they cut off more than they left behind, he's feeling kinda blue and your entire metabolism is going haywire trying to cope with the lack of calories. It will heal and you will be able to eat. Again as previously stated, just stay hydrated and good old H2O is the best way to get it. Take the drinks if you want but wa-wa is best.

Thanks. Unfortunately I am unable to drink Water. Makes me feel sick. I have been drinking tea to help getting in the liquids as right now that is all I am handle.

It is good to know that I will soon be able to eat more than I am eating now. It is hard to imagine that I will be able to exist eating only this tiny amount.

Thanks again.

Sheila

Thanks. Unfortunately I am unable to drink Water. Makes me feel sick. I have been drinking tea to help getting in the liquids as right now that is all I am handle.

It is good to know that I will soon be able to eat more than I am eating now. It is hard to imagine that I will be able to exist eating only this tiny amount.

Thanks again.

Sheila

Hey Sheila

Just a point. Make sure your not drinking regular tea cause that will dehydrate you more. Try drinking some herbal teas. :)

I was exactly like you--it took me a long time to be able to tolerate more than just a tablespoon or two of food, and honestly, I still don't eat very much at once. I'm 4-1/2 months out, and I pretty much still have around 1/4 c. of food for a meal--I can drink about 2/3 c. of Soup if it's mostly liquid, but with solid foods, it's just a couple of ounces and I'm done. It's okay--seems strange at first, but it's just fine. I'm healthy. I'm losing.

In your case, like the others have said, focus on the liquid. I drank Gatorade (I just used the regular but cut it with the same amount of Water so it wasn't so sweet--I don't like artificial sweeteners), Tomato juice, occasional apple juice (also cut with water--too sweet without it), and tried to disguise regular Water with squirts of citrus juice--and you know, eventually, all of that turned out okay, too. Just give your body time to heal and stay as hydrated as you can. As your swelling goes down, you'll find you can tolerate more in both volume and variety. You may progress more slowly than others, but that's just how it is (me too). Good luck!!

Hello everyone.

I thought I would send in my question because most of you are experts and I know I will get a good answer from you guys.

I am 4 weeks out. I am transitioning into the Soft Foods today. However, up until now, I have been struggling to get much of any kind of food in me. I eat like 2 or 3 teaspoon bites, and I can't eat any more. I think the most I have gotten in calorie wise is maybe 300 to 350 calories a day. The same goes with fluids. I can not seem to get hardly in fluids in me without becoming extremely full. I can not stomach Water, even with lemon in it. It does not sit well in my tummy. When I do drink just Water, I feel sick to my stomach.

I just want to know if this is normal or should I be discussing this with my surgeon?

Thanks for the help experts. I look forward to your replies.

Sheila

The amount is normal. . . the water thing, well try not to drink too cold water that tends to cramp the stomach and make you feel nauseated. . .and just sip the fluids over the course of the day. . . drink gatoraid too, because of the electrolytes and it'll help a bit with the nausea. . . discuss with the doctor as well. . . good luck

sugar free koolaid helped me get my Water intake in those first few weeks!

Thanks everyone.

Your advice and encouraging words have helped tremendously.

I have started to drink Gatorade and Powerade. I dilute it half and half with Water and it seems to be working. I can still only drink 3 cups a day. I am hoping to get more in as time goes by. I never thought it would be this hard to drink.

I am not going to worry about the amount I am eating right now, I am going to eat until I feel full and then stop. I am tracking my Protein intake, calories, carbs, sugars on MyFitnessPal. Now that I am on soft foods, I am able to get more Protein in although I am still not up to where I need to be, but I am working on it.

Thanks again everyone. You are all my hero.

Sheila

Does your plan allow Protein drinks? In the weeks following my surgery, I had two a day to get my calories up to 400 per day and my Protein at the right level. I'm down to one a day now and hoping to be on all food shortly.

For the liquids, try the Water at room temp or hot. For me, I could tolerate liquids chilled or hot. Room-temp make me sick. I liked Sleepy Time tea in the evening and watered down Crystal lite earlier in the day.

Best wishes in these early weeks--they are the hardest!

Lynda