Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Program Fees??

Everyday I feel like I find another new wrinkle in researching this. Today's surprise is program fees. Does everyone have to pay these??? I'm trying to deal with this through insurance. My DH is not a huge fan of WLS to start with, so paying out of pocket is not an option. I have been researching surgeons between this site, obesityhelp, and my insurance list. I found a surgeon that comes highly recommended, is in my state, and takes my insurance, but after further perusing of his website I find they have a one time, non refundable, non insurance covered program fee of $2000! This is for their outsourced education program and nutritional consultations.

Is this normal????

Normal, not the most ethical in my opinion, but normal. They claim it is to cover the support groups, nutritionist, etc. a lot of them out there have it. I think it is a joke. But it is up to you on how much you want to have the surgery done by him. Good luck on your journey!!

There are alot of doctors who seem to charge that fee, but there are also a number of doctors who don't. Is there another doctor in your area that you feel comfortable with? The whole program fee thing kinda rubs me the wrong way. I don't understand why they don't tack it on to what goes to insurance.

My Dr required a nutrionist to help with the eating plans and he wants me to go to support groups. However, the nutrionist is only $500 and that covers everything for a year.

The support groups are free.

I was a self-pay patient and my surgeon did not require any program fees. I had several meetings with the nutritionist prior to my surgery at no extra charge. My surgeon also has weekly and monthly support groups (depending upon location), which are also free-of-charge.

Never had a program fee. I was self-pay, it was $15,000.00 for the whole shebang and that included a visit with the Nutritionist, Counselor and a year of fills. There is also a support group.

Terry :)

I was self pay also and didn't have any kind of program fee. My fee included surgery, fills for 3 months, unlimited nutritionist visits, monthly support group and after 3 months my fills are $15. I don't think I would have gone with a surgeon who charged a "program fee". Seems kinda shady to me!

I was fortunate enough to get insurance to pay for my surgery. My surgeon and/or hospital did not have a program fee. Use of the hospital services such as support groups, nutrition & exercise are free for life. It is 3 hrs away so we joined the YMCA for exercise. Office visits are free for the first 6 mos and after, I pay my office co-pay. Fills are also a co-pay.

Perhaps you need to look around if you feel the program fee is not acceptable. Then again, I would personally consider paying it if I felt this was the best surgeon choice. I would have probably paid something for my surgeon b/c he is so top-notch. I absolutely love him!! I wish you the best on your journey and I hope your able to work all this out. The lapband is a journey worth all the challenges you face. ~Good Luck~

My program fee was 1000.00, which I was ok with until I spent the entire year dealing with the insurance company myself..now I am a little salty about it. They claim its for the paper work for the insurance submittles, nutritionist and the support groups are free. Dont know yet about my fills, my nurse was new and couldnt answer me! Whack! Guess I will find out soon, since my surgery is on the 9th!

My program fee was $150 to cover the required nutritionist visits (several of them), that were actually very helpful. I think it should depend if you think your $ will be well spent.

Good luck.

You can always write it off on taxes

I paid 150.00 and I work for my surgeon now and that is what it still is. What ours covers is the materials for our seminars and support groups, and other over head charges. I do believe it's going up but it will give you unlimited access to a nutritionist, fitness person and psych for one year. Not sure what the new charge is going to be though.

They are no fun but something a lot charge. It can't be billed to the insurance becuase it's for items not covered by insurance. :eek:

Hope that helps understand it a little better from the doc's point of view...I am not saying it's right. It was for me becuase I wanted to have the surgery.

The progam fee for my hospital and most of the surrounding ones is $500. I to was not happy about it. My total out of pocket cost between co pays, program fee, psych eval and deductable for the band and to have my gallbladder removed put me right at about $1100. It was hard to part with as I dont have a lot in savings but it was well worth it in the long run - I know that I have spent way more than $1100 over the years on pills, drinks, books and exercise gimicks that haven't worked. At least now I have something to show (or not show as the case may be) for my money.

Good luck!

My surgeon's program fee was $500, which covered the nutrionists, personal trainer at his associated gym, support meetings etc. and probably admin fees. To me it was so worth it especially since UHC paid for the surgery. I was actually happy to hand over the $500.