Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Consultation is tomorrow!!!

My consultation is FINALLY here! Tomorrow my husband and I will be driving the 4.5 hours to see my surgeon and to get a surgery date! Woo hoo!!! biggrin.gif

For the past month, I have been jotting down questions to ask him. Here they are:

-What bougie size, and does he oversew

-What is the post-op diet

-Does he use a catheter

-Does he use a drain

-What Vitamins and acid reducers do I need to use post op

-How soon can I take my regular medications (anti-depressants) after surgery

-Do I need to change my anti-depressant (Effexor XR) because it is extended release

-What gallbladder risks are there and do I need to take a gallstone preventive pill (Actigall)

-Does he perform a leak test

Did I miss any important questions? Any advice would be awesome smile.gif Thanks, guys!

No time at all. I think his office is used to people wanting the surgery asap. If I could have, they would have done my surgery the next week after my consultation. But I was still saving up so I need another month. He is great and my surgery went perfectly.

Oh i am over the moon excited! I have consultation on Nov. 9th @ 4pm! If I have my bloodwork (which I am scheduling now) & of course the 9800.00 then they will schedule me the following week! The excitement is unbearable! Now lets just pray my loan gets approved for the remainder of what I am missing! :-)

I told you they were fast! You will love Dr. Borland. Oh, and you know he has you stay in a local hotel for 2 days after so that he can make "housecalls" and check up on you. I highly recommend Candlewood Suites. Anyway, Congrats on your future! Let me know if you have any questions

:)

OH, I have TONS of questions LOL! Thank you for the recommendation for hotels! I will DEF. look into that one!

Not sure what you do for a living, but I am a photographer (own my own company, but do all the picture taking) How soon do you think before I can get start back working?

I am a piano teacher. I went back to work a week afterwards, but that is only because I sit down and only for 30 minute intervals. Even with that, though, I was very tired. I would at least take 2 weeks off if I were you, because I know photographers have to be up on their feet a lot. Dr. Borland's post-op diet is only Clear Liquids the first week. So no Protein = getting tired really easily. Once you start soft foods, you will feel a lot better. Hope that helps!

Congrats!!!!! That is soooo exciting! At least you don't have to wait very long until surgery- I must have had a dozen "food funerals" before my date got here, lol.

I talked to the receptionist & she said if I have all of my pre-op blood work (which I am getting this week) & the 9800.00 (which I am getting tomorrow) They will schedule me for the following week! AHHHHHHH :-)

Do you have any "recommended" questions I should ask? I am trying to get together a list :-)

Hmmmm, I didn't have a lot of questions for him because I researched night and day for 2 months before my consultation, lol. I can tell you that he uses a 32 fr bougie and does not leave a drain in you (those were my most important questions). Other than that, if you take any medications, make sure they are ok to take after surgery- mine had to be crushed for a couple of weeks. And he might be able to tell you more about how long you should take off of work.

Not until the second week. So the first week it's just clear liquids. He isn't picky about certain expensive brands either. He says you can even use the Atkins shakes from Walmart. As long as its low carb/sugar, you can use it. I use the Body Fortress whey Protein isolate from walmart. I get a huge tub for $21. The first time I tried it, it was disgusting. But now I add some sugar-free chocolate pudding mix, cocoa powder and about 1/4 cup of splenda, and it's not bad at all. You don't have to drink these forever, but it is a really easy way to get 30 grams of protein first thing in the morning.

OH MY GOODNESS! I should have NEVER looked at the Complications forums :-(

I really feel like I am about to back out, & that thoughtis making me VERY sad! Any words of advice to lift me up??? (i am particularly worried about leaks, since that is what I have been reading)

HELP!!!

I think I was so desperate I didn't think very much about complications, lol. I just prayed for the best. I never asked Dr. Borland what his leak rate was, but I can tell you from my experience that I never once had any complications/ problems. I felt completely safe because even though VSG hasn't been around too many years in the US, Dr. Borland has been performing Gastric Bypass surgeries since 1982. That was the year I was born! That's 29 years of experience in bariatric surgery. I think you are in safe hands with him. I also have no regrets about the surgery. I would do it again in a heartbeat. And take today, for example. My mom and I went shopping and ate lunch while we were out. We went to Zaxby's (a chicken tender joint) and I ordered the smallest plate they had- only 5 chicken strips. I ate 2 of them and was STUFFED. Before surgery, I could easily eat 10, plus 2 sides. I love my sleeve :) I hope this helps with your decision. I know I am so thankful for my opportunity!