Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Inner surfer girl

It gets me when facile suggestions are offered. Reconnecting with nut and surgeon has offered nothing substantive or new for me. In fact, the latest nut from the surgeon 's practice actually gave me 2 cups of popcorn! Of course, i went bonkers: ate it and everything else that crossed my path that week.

Has anyone else here TRIED any of the holistic plans with or without success? VSGann...can u set up a new topic on that issue?

Thanks

Inner surfer girl

It gets me when facile suggestions are offered. Reconnecting with nut and surgeon has offered nothing substantive or new for me. In fact, the latest nut from the surgeon 's practice actually gave me 2 cups of popcorn! Of course, i went bonkers: ate it and everything else that crossed my path that week.

Has anyone else here TRIED any of the holistic plans with or without success? VSGann...can u set up a new topic on that issue?

Thanks

One person's facile suggestion is another person's life-saving resource.

@@reallyrosy, since you seem to be really struggling have you considered ALL of your options? Have you tried support groups? Have you tried a 12-step recovery program like OA (OA.org)? Have you considered looking for another NUT since you don't find your current NUT helpful?

@@reallyrosy. Have you tried any holistic approaches that were successful?

What really gets me is negative posts against people who are trying to help and give suggestions to someone who asked. I have learned alot from people who have been successful and share their thoughts and suggestions.

Edited by KristenLe

This b.e.d. protocol is the only one i kbow of that is holistic tx for what i have. I have other complications that some programs will not accomodate even tho it is against the ADA act. Currently, a program near me with several nds refuses to work on B.E.D. with me because they do not want to supply an interpreter. They dont state that because it is illegal but they are giving me a run around with a referral to a psycho therapist [which i already have ] instead of an nd who can order blood and urine testing in labs to test for bacterial overgrowth and certain nutrient deficiencies that are said to cause B.E D. So, the only other holistic tx i had found a personal problem that other docs could not dx. She did. Her tx is the only medication that allows me to function normally and without severe pain. Does that qualify on ans to ur q anout holistics? The med is traditional medication not herbal or alternative. But the provider is an aprn who specialized in a protocol designed to identify this disorder and she now works for a holistic office.

I've been avoiding this website because I have gained so much weight. I was sleeved August 2012 and I originally lost 95 pounds. Although I never reached my goal weight I was very happy. I started at 272 pounds and my lowest was 175 pounds. I was a size 12 and satisfied. I no longer thought of myself as the fat girl everywhere I went.

Now let's talk about this year... awful. My highest weight for 2016 was 218 pounds, THAT IS 43 POUNDS GAINED. I'm disgusted with myself and back to being the fat girl every where I go. Some days I actually just stay home because I don't want anyone to see me.

April 1, 2016 I started really working the sleeve program again. Protein first, vegetables and working out as much as I can being big as a whale. I'm 5'6 so 218 is Goodyear blimp for me. I'm down 3.5 pounds but it is a struggle every single day. I hate being a failure and I'm going to do whatever I can to stay motivated. I guess that's why I'm back on this thread. Looking for people to help and encourage. Wish me luck people. I don't want to live my life either being the fat friend or hiding in the house.

Hi Debbie!

Don't beat yourself down so much. You say that you feel like you look like a goodyear blimp at 5'6" and 218 lbs, yet I weigh 251 lbs at 5'5"! Imagine what I look like! lol. Yes, you've gained some weight back, but you CAN lose it again too! And you will.. as long as you really want to, you will find the strength and willpower to change your eating habits, continue to exercise and keep it up! It's a lifestyle change that we all have to be willing to adhere and adjust to. Don't forget the fact that you were once able to lose the weight.. be proud of that and know that you will do it again! :-)

Andrea

Andrea

We ALL wanted to lose weight. We ALL did lose a lot of it when we started . We ALL really are discouraged and dismayed to gain it after all of the efforts we put into it. The point is that many of us made the life stlye changes...working out 3 to 5 days a week was not something i did while i was gaining weight. Cutting out all simple carbs when my diet was mostly carbs is another life stlye change i made. The ONE life style change that i cannot keep permanent is not binge eating. The truth is we cannot deal with that because it isn't a factor in the way we live. It's something physical that's going on with us. Its not a weakness on our part. Deprivation is not something we can do 24/7 for the rest of our lives.

That's what i believe.

OK it's true that I know how/why I gained the weight. My husband was transferred to Florida 2 years ago. I didn't start gaining until we got here. We live in a town that is very resort-like. So we are always living life like we are on vacation. Drinking wine and margaritas by the Water and eating out. It gets hot here so I became too lazy to work or walk outside. But I know these are NOT REASONS, they are EXCUSES. What would I do differently? Keep exercising, stop grazing on potato chips and skip the alcohol.

@@reallyrosy, I hope anything I said did not offend you. I was replying to another person's post. Yet, thanks for your reply anyhow. One thing that I believe is that if we want something bad enough, we can find a way to get there. "Knowing" that you "can't" do something will ultimately cause you to not do it. It's as though you made up your mind that you won't stop. Maybe you could try binging on a food with less carbs and sugar than carrots? I wasn't trying to offer anyone anything in my previous post other than encouragement.

Andrea

What's b.e.d?

Tssiemerb.e.d is binge eating disorder. Its a fairly new addition to the eating disorders roster

Andrea,

Yes...ive tried cukes, celery and peppers but baby carrots are the only thing that cuts down on my urge.

@reallyrosy - we were both sleeved in 2011 and facing the same stuggles. I don't know if someone newly sleeved can relate but I can eat much more now than in my first 2 years. I don't binge eat though. I just eat crap. I'm hoping that if I stretched my stomach it will go back to a smaller size now that I'm eating smaller portions again. I also became very Iron deficient and I eat ice all day long. I am taking Iron supplements daily and they do help but it's crazy sometimes.

Wondering 1,ahhhhhh o.k. thanks for the clarificstion. I am not eating crap at all. In fact im darn scared of it. I saw what 2 cups of popcorn do to me...i hardly eat frut execpt for apples strawberry blues raspberries blackberries and that's it. So that's a life style change ive held onto. I have thalassemia trait and dont take Iron supplements because of that. I think thats what my PCP explained. But i do want to figure out what is causing me to eat like my life depended on it sometimes...and other times can be the model for post vsg eating!

I've found one thing that really helps is not eating at night. If I force myself to have nothing but Water after dinner, I do way better.

Yep daisy...when i can hydrate ibstead of eat its a sign im back on track...til the next binge hits. But i value the good parts of the cycle....