Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Kindle, the psychiatric and bariatric medical communities reinforce thise societal perceptions of us as lazy, fat, unmotivated and all the other unpleasant adjectives. I KNOW i am trying my hardest and have not returned to junk food or carbs but the damned binge eating has me snarfing baby carrots! And cucumbers and red and yellow peppers and thats why, I think my gains have been kinda mellow. Im just saying i also reject those negative appelations hate being told i haave the wrong attitude or eat the wrong food. I KNOW i dont. So i find so ething that reinforces my perception and then one of our own tribe tells me im mentally ill and etc.

Bah. Humbug.

Thank you Cindy for your encouragement. I am hoping back to see my surgeon this Wednesday. I am nervous because I know he will be disappointed. I am very disappointed in myself. I know how to gain and I know how to lose weight, but I've never been successful at maintaining. I am going to ask him for a suggestion of a counselor/psychologist to start seeing. My sense of worth is so wrapped up in my outer appearance and it's literally making me sick. It's also an interesting idea to go back to the post op diet. Have other people done this and been able to sort of restart? My only issue with that is I didn't feel hunger for the first 6 months, yet now I feel hunger every day. I almost panic still when I feel hunger and feel out of control. That's the real issue with me for the past six months or so, the lack of control mentally.

Girl,

Ask the doc about binge eating and if he can suggest a holistic pratictioner. ..just kick it around bit. Most docs dont go for this unless they are very open minded. What u describe sounds like binge eating. Good luck

My sleeve was 2012 and I have gained 20 of the 70lbs I lost,

Atkins..

That sucks. What are you doing about it?

I am loving this thread. It's a battle. Every single day. And soon I will be 7 years out.

I gained three pounds, more or less and seem to lose the weight then get it back. I am on a forever plateau loop!

Hi,

I had my surgery in March 2013, so just had my 3 year anniversary. I unfortunately have gained half back of what I had lost (16 kilos) which I am very frustrated and unhappy about. I thought the sleeve would cure all my dieting worries and that I'd never have to watch what I ate ever again...how dumb can I be?

It is a uphill struggle EVERY day and I get bad heartburn too because I eat all the time. I used to graze before the surgery, but now its all the time because of the smaller amount I can eat I just chomp, chomp and chomp away.

I am trying to come up with strageties, like at work, I need to bring in loads of healthy food so when I graze at least it'll be healthy. But at night is my downfall, infront of the tv...ugh! So i have come up with an idea that after my evening meal I will properly brush and floss my teeth as if going to bed to try and prevent me from eating again that night. Am going to give it a go tonight for the first time. I'll try anything.

Its just I can't seem or want to stop eating. I wish I'd had surgery on my brain too aswell as my stomach.

I was doing okay intially and then went on a few cruises and never lost the weight gained on them and just kept gaining.

I hope this answers your question. Its bloody hard I am very envious of people who seem to be able to control their food cravings and grazing capacity.

Good luck to you

I've been avoiding this website because I have gained so much weight. I was sleeved August 2012 and I originally lost 95 pounds. Although I never reached my goal weight I was very happy. I started at 272 pounds and my lowest was 175 pounds. I was a size 12 and satisfied. I no longer thought of myself as the fat girl everywhere I went.

Now let's talk about this year... awful. My highest weight for 2016 was 218 pounds, THAT IS 43 POUNDS GAINED. I'm disgusted with myself and back to being the fat girl every where I go. Some days I actually just stay home because I don't want anyone to see me.

April 1, 2016 I started really working the sleeve program again. Protein first, vegetables and working out as much as I can being big as a whale. I'm 5'6 so 218 is Goodyear blimp for me. I'm down 3.5 pounds but it is a struggle every single day. I hate being a failure and I'm going to do whatever I can to stay motivated. I guess that's why I'm back on this thread. Looking for people to help and encourage. Wish me luck people. I don't want to live my life either being the fat friend or hiding in the house.

Wondering 1

Do check out tx for b.e.d. in still trying to locate a provider for myself [complicated for me] but i am nearly convinced that is the way to go.

Why do you think you gained weight?

And, if you are so inclined to share, what do you think you would do differently if you could go back and do so -- and that you will do differently in the future?

Vsgann,

She said why she gained. She is eating all the time! Would you do anything different if you could?

I wouldnt have fractured my knees...and i would've followed up with more agressively testing to see if there are any nutrient deficiencies. Why the docs dont do that today bugs me.

I've been avoiding this website because I have gained so much weight. I was sleeved August 2012 and I originally lost 95 pounds. Although I never reached my goal weight I was very happy. I started at 272 pounds and my lowest was 175 pounds. I was a size 12 and satisfied. I no longer thought of myself as the fat girl everywhere I went.

Now let's talk about this year... awful. My highest weight for 2016 was 218 pounds, THAT IS 43 POUNDS GAINED. I'm disgusted with myself and back to being the fat girl every where I go. Some days I actually just stay home because I don't want anyone to see me.

April 1, 2016 I started really working the sleeve program again. Protein first, vegetables and working out as much as I can being big as a whale. I'm 5'6 so 218 is Goodyear blimp for me. I'm down 3.5 pounds but it is a struggle every single day. I hate being a failure and I'm going to do whatever I can to stay motivated. I guess that's why I'm back on this thread. Looking for people to help and encourage. Wish me luck people. I don't want to live my life either being the fat friend or hiding in the house.

Don't hide in the house!

Going back to basics sounds like a great strategy. How much Protein are you eating? One thing I have noticed is that folks who had WLS a few years ago may be eating less protein Most surgeon's and NUTS are recommending more protein than they used to based on recent research.

Have you talked to your NUT lately to discuss your goals and challenges? It wouldn't hurt to make an appointment with your NUT and even a counselor or therapist to discuss strategies for reaching your goals.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.