Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

But the premise is: we are binge eaters. It is chemical. It is NOT our fault or failing and itvis cyclical. We are bound tonthis struggle...but there MIGHT be a way to make it easier with some supplements that might be missing. Intriguing, no?

James m. Greenblatt answers to binge eating: new hope....its on Amazon and there yreason i bought this book is veacause the author oversees?? a clinic in a nearby town that counsels people wIth BED. That clinic doesnt accept my insurance so im looking for another practice that works holistically. I wanna get yo the bottom of this. We are not struggling after surgery because we are "bad fat people". And this is not just another label.

i am 21 months out and maintained my entire weight loss UNTIL i switched from days to nights at work and have gained 8 lbs.

Holding steady but i feel like it could really get out of control quickly, so i started back-peddling and am doing a pre-op diet and then going to start my post op eating all over again in the same order i did it before, hopefully that will reset things.

Mi75,

You probably will get back to losing mode. Good u were watching and caught it in time.

Jesusgirl0909 I truly feel your pain. My first WLS was in 2000. I never reached my goal but maintained for about 2 years then started to regain. I remember when I had regained about 40 or so pounds I decided to go to GlamourShots to do photos before I regained all of it! So instead of stopping total regain, I just watched it happen. I am glad you have not given up. I suggest you literally go back to the post op diet. liquids only for several weeks. Then soft foods, then solids. This will give you a good jump start and get you back in the mindset and habit of making better choices. Call your surgeon and ask for help. Go to Weight Watchers. Do something. Find your motivation. Why did you have surgery? I ended up regaining the 120 pounds I had lost. By 2013 I weighed 350 and was diabetic, had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I wore size 4x and 5x.

I was revised to the sleeve in 2013. Now I have lost 155 pounds and weigh 195. I have not been this size since 1985! I wear size 14 depending where I shop.....and if it has a little spandex! Lol. I am off all meds except thyroid. Well, not entirely true. I am working on losing another 30 pounds. I had a long stall so I reached out to my doctor so he gave me diet meds to help. I hated to get back on diet pills.... I mean, why did I have surgery? These are temporary. I will probably be off of them in a couple of months. They helped me get below 200 and it resolved some hunger issues I was having. We know that surgery is just a tool. I am using every tool in the toolbox. I exercise 4 -5 days a week and I see a psychologist. My motto is "Whatever it takes". Please don't give up. Remember the little engine that could? I think I can, I think I can!!! Just keep trying.

Cindi thats just it: we can't keep this up forever. The binge eating hits after a few years on sleeve. Its not our fault. The fact that it happens to us is proof that yes, surgery is a tool. We still need a solution to B.E.D. IOW: it ain't the answer. Medicine/science should study these results

Cindi thats just it: we can't keep this up forever. The binge eating hits after a few years on sleeve. Its not our fault. The fact that it happens to us is proof that yes, surgery is a tool. We still need a solution to B.E.D. IOW: it ain't the answer. Medicine/science should study these results

@@reallyrosy ... I've followed your struggles here with interest. However, I think it's inaccurate to predict that your experience or any other patient's experience is what all other other patients will experience.

Yes, some people suffer from B.E.D. (and you're right that it certainly deserves more serious study and treatment), but I don't and never have struggled with it. And at 20 months post-op, I don't expect it's going to kick in at two years post-op.

I ended up regaining the 120 pounds I had lost. By 2013 I weighed 350 and was diabetic, had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I wore size 4x and 5x.

I was revised to the sleeve in 2013. Now I have lost 155 pounds and weigh 195. I have not been this size since 1985!

We know that surgery is just a tool. I am using every tool in the toolbox. I exercise 4 -5 days a week and I see a psychologist. My motto is "Whatever it takes". Please don't give up. Remember the little engine that could? I think I can, I think I can!!! Just keep trying.

Jeez, @cindygant ... that's awesome that you have lost all your regain. What a story! Congratulations.

Vsg

I did not expect it to kick in either after 4 years. None of us expect failure. U are correct: everyone will not have the same experience! I HOPE not.

No, binge eating doesn't just hit after a few years. And yes, indulging in that behavior is our fault. Sure, there are biochemical components that perpetuate the behavior, just like smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol or any other behavior that becomes obsessive like gambling, cleaning or shopping. But it IS a complex behavior that involves choices and active participation on our part to occur.

Obesity is a mental illness and mental health professionals are needed to help us change our behaviors. No surgery will cure us and it's unfortunate that so many people try to shift the focus from the mental aspect to the physical and try to say it's "not my fault". It's not the size of our stomachs that made us fat, it's the behaviors.....including binge eating. With appropriate support and professional intervention, our behaviors can be changed. In the meantime, be accountable for your actions and stop being the victim of your choices.

No, binge eating doesn't just hit after a few years. And yes, indulging in that behavior is our fault. Sure, there are biochemical components that perpetuate the behavior, just like smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol or any other behavior that becomes obsessive like gambling, cleaning or shopping. But it IS a complex behavior that involves choices and active participation on our part to occur.

Obesity is a mental illness and mental health professionals are needed to help us change our behaviors. No surgery will cure us and it's unfortunate that so many people try to shift the focus from the mental aspect to the physical and try to say it's "not my fault". It's not the size of our stomachs that made us fat, it's the behaviors.....including binge eating. With appropriate support and professional intervention, our behaviors can be changed. In the meantime, be accountable for your actions and stop being the victim of your choices.

Kindle you are spot on! Thank you for the candor that we all need! I am 2 years post op starting out at 240 and was losing successfully until the following year where I hit a wall at 180. All my fault. As I was able to eat more, I began to make unhealthy choices and now for the first time , I am seeing weight gain creep up which is my call to action and need to get back to the behaviors my sleeve had started to give. I took it for granted and my success will expire if I don't act soon. As you pointed, I am responsible and accountable for my behavior so we need to control ourselves and stop looking for something else to drive us-or worse something else to blame.

Kindle ,

I respectfully disagree with this old assessment of obesity. I am committed to exploring the lastest tx and while i berate myself for the binge eating behaviors, still, and castigate myself for "slacking off" and gaining 10 lbs so i realize i am a product of that school of thought.

My cardiologist said he is not opposed to me turning over every stone to find a livable solution to b.e.d. before he insists on drugs, again. So i feel empowered. And i have, as i did before vsg in 2011, a new hope that even at my advanced age and with all the physical 'crap' that's finding me now (2 knee fractures in one year) i may still have a shot at living the life that i would not allow myself before i had the surgery.

Good luck to all of us!

But, @reallyrosey , you ARE taking action. Whatever that action is, you are not just sitting back and letting things happen to you. I guess the terms "victim" and "not my fault" are what gets me fired up. They strike me as helpless, action-less descriptions of someone not willing to help themselves. Just a miscommunication of meanings.