Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I don't binge unless I give into my carb cravings. Once I do, it's all over. I'll start eating everything in sight or even go to the store to buy more sweets and carbs.

The first 3 days are the hardest for me. The carb monster calls my name loudly. If I can make it past there, I do better and the carb cravings are way less. But that's just me.

I know it's my own fault. I certainly am not able to volume eat anymore. I still want to lose the last 20 lbs., but I can't forego sweets. It's Valentine's Day. then it's Easter. Before that it was Christmas and Halloween. If I could kick the sugar habit, I know I could lose that last 20 lbs. I've gained 10 lbs and it's bothering me. I went through hell to get this surgery. Now I need to get to my goal weight of 135.

So it's Friday night. My hubby has had a really hard week and got home about an hour ago and passed out on the couch after dinner. I'm wide awake watching tv.... guess what I want to do? EAT. Am I hungry? not really. I just want something that tastes good and satisfies me. And then I will regret it and be sorry at bed time. I STRUGGLE EVERY DAY.

The only peace that I have is that since I've stopped the "gaining train", I'm not regretful and crying at bed time every night. I gained 40 pounds in the last 3 years. It weighs on me (pun intended). Tell me how to change my mindset when it's tv time at night.

Thanks for listening.

@wondering1. I have this problem as well and I'm going to counseling to assist identifying why and ways to eliminate the emotional eating. I just had 1 session so I don't know the answer BUT how about having a low cal Protein snack or shake to satisfy your craving? Are you allowed anything at this stage?

Based on advice I Read from veterans online even before I had surgery, I implemented the rule from day one that I would not eat in front of the TV. And No Eating in bed. Non negotiable. When watching TV I drink Water, Protein hot chocolate, herbal tea or maybe a Protein shake. No TV Snacks allowed. Period.

If you haven't already, I strongly suggest finding a counselor that can help you overcome your addiction. As you already know, long term success is an emotional/psychological battle, not a food battle. If you're wide awake then get up and clean or organize or read a book or go for a walk or learn how to knit or paint or play solitaire....anything to occupy your hands and head besides eating.

Hi this post hits home! I am about one year and five months from sleeve. I did really well for first six months then a few pounds here and there then nothing no gain but no losses either. I try ed talking to my nut and my dr. They said it will be fine can't see a nutritionist unless I pay 85. an hour. I started eating bad carbs at Christmas then just had a few here and there I too have had a very stressful year. Everyone keeps saying that they could lose weight faster than I am What is Wrong with Me? I had the sleeve to help and now I am not doing my job I feel so bad why do I do this? Not asking for sympathy just understanding that things do happen and I know why just seem to be sabotaging myself. Sorry for the long post just feel so alone at times and this is a good forum. Thanks for listening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App

@@helpless ...

I don't have nearly enough information about your situation to offer you advice.

But if I were in your shoes, here's the first thing I'd do: I'd change my nickname here from "helpless" to something that didn't constantly reinforce that I felt helpless. I'd change it to something like: "kick-butt-and-take-names" or "HellYeah" or "SkinnyBitch" or "Winner."

As long as you feel helpless, you won't be able to help yourself. Because, ultimately, you CAN help yourself.

Self-talk is pretty darned important in this war we're all in to win back and keep our health. So talk yourself UP!

Vsgann thanks for replying I wanted to change my nickname to another one but didn't know how. I'm new to posting and thought they might not accept a new one. I weighed 300 lbs before sleeve now I'm at 240 I was at 229 I've not been eating enough Protein at all. I know I have to be the one to change no one can do it for me. No excuses but I have been dealing with alot of health issues.taking prednisone doesn't help. I was starting to look better but I am so mad at myself but I've had to really work at this weight loss it has not been easy at all. Anyhow I'm starting to drink Protein shakes and more meats I'm going to do better. My diabetes a1c was 5.4 that is really good. I wish you well on your journey also. I write way too much I've got to learn to shorten my posts

There is a very helpful book on emotional eating you can get off Amazon. It was recommended to me by my bariatric psychologist.

The food and Feelings Workbook by Karen R.Koeng

This may help those in this battle.

I tend to binge out of frustration at continual dieting!

Good Luck!

Read -The food and Feelings Workbook by Karen Koeng all about emotional eating. Amazon sells it. Might help.

Read -The Food and Feelings Workbook by Karen Koeng all about emotional eating. Amazon sells it. Might help.

Read -The Food and Feelings Workbook by Karen Koeng all about emotional eating. Amazon sells it. Might help.

I tend to graze eat like a little all day long. I really always was hungry even after the sleeve. I think they added a hunger piece in my sleeve yeah sure.!I'm 66 yrs young and I want to be around for a long time so I have to quit grazing and go back to writing every morsel I eat down. My sister went on the Atkins diet and she lost more than I have and she never let's me forget that she didn't have an operation to lose weight I'm happy for her just mad at myself. I could be a skinny person by now.well I have to start doing something about it. I'm going to start walking again this week. My daughter got me a fitbit. Yay!

I think tracking food is a GREAT idea. I do it to educate myself about what I'm actually eating. Honestly, tracking is the greatest tool I've used post-op (besides the sleeve, of course) to lose all my weight and maintain my loss thus far.

Again, going back and reviewing that information teaches me so much about what I'm doing and how (sometimes) my eating changed without my noticing what was happening.

I think tracking food is a GREAT idea. I do it to educate myself about what I'm actually eating. Honestly, tracking is the greatest tool I've used post-op (besides the sleeve, of course) to lose all my weight and maintain my loss thus far.

Again, going back and reviewing that information teaches me so much about what I'm doing and how (sometimes) my eating changed without my noticing what was happening.

I agree. I was positively allergic to tracking food pre-op, but now I don't think I would make it without tracking.

1) It is easy since I have the MyFitnessPal app.

2) My short term memory is terrible.

3) It helps me easily reach my Protein goal.

4) it makes me stop and think before I put something in my mouth and it helps me make good decisions. I can decide right away whether something fits into my daily plan, if it's something I can hold off and have another time, if it's not worth eating, or even if there is a healthier version/option.

I'm 4 years post op. I have gained 35lbs from my lowest. I even tried dieting again then realized I screwed up I am in bad habits. Eating even when full, not drinking Water, drinking with meals. The last couple days I started watching those things and poof down 5 lbs. so I think my realization is my sleeve is still a tool and I need to remember I am not a normal dieter anymore. I had WLS and will never be the same again.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App