Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Hey girl - I want to ask you a question. Does the carbonated drink bother you at all? It was the ONE thing Dr. Davidson said 'never' to......I was not and have never been a big soft drink girl, so it was not a problem. It's not like he said NEVER to a piece of chocolate cake or something like that. LoL Anyway, I seldom drink, but every so often, maybe once a month or ever two months, I use to like to have a glass of Captain Morgan and Coke and Coke Zero was my choice. It has been three years and I was just wondering, would I be totally a bad girl to do this? My new drink, when I DO have something is Malibu Cocoanut Rum and pineapple juice. It's not bad, but it's not the captain an coke. :) Just curious! Give me your thoughts.

They don't bother me at all :)...I started drinking sodas at around 11 months post op. I don't drink them AT ALL LIKE I USED TO (pre-op). 1-2 cans a day is about it now, where as before it was more like a 2 liter or more a day YIKES!

I'm not the person you asked, but I do drink the occasional soda or carbonated Water. I'm two years out. I like sugar free 7-up with a bunch of lime juice in the summertime. And I like sparkling water with a splash of cranberry juice and a squeeze of lime. Occasionally have a sugar-free root beer. Yum!

Thanks, one of these days I might try it, just for kicks to see how I do. Like I said, I was not a 'coke' girl prior so not having them at all is not a problem. I would guess I averaged four or five a YEAR!!!! Oh, and I was picky, fountain coke over crushed ice. Never a big one, but loved to have one at a theater with pop corn, thankfully movies at a theater are few and far between!!! Now days, the smell of the pop corn when I walk in the lobby before the movie smells scrumptious, so I go straight to my movie. I always have some graham crackers or something to munch on, and a bottle of water!! :)

Hey where do you get those carrot chips? I have seen bags of veggie chips, but when I look at the ingredients, they're mostly potatoes.

I was such a 'bad girl' yesterday - I made a home made peach cobbler, home made vanilla ice cream. Believe it or not, when I entered the recipes into My Fitness Pal, the cobbler is almost double the ice cream, in calories! I had two servings of each between 2 PM and 9 PM. I weighed 149.2 when I went to bed, but Praise God.....I was back down to 146.4 this morning. I was afraid I'd be about a pound more than that. But today, back to normal. I love it that life feels like it MUST feel to naturally thin people. Eat things that aren't in your everyday diet, but go back to normal the next.

It was like that for me before. If I had a cheat meal and I gained a couple of lbs, it went away immediately. At about 3 years is when if I had a cheat meal, no matter what I did, the couple lbs I gained would not go away. Then I had another cheat meal and that lb didn't go away either. That's how the weight regain started.

Hey where do you get those carrot chips? I have seen bags of veggie chips' date=' but when I look at the ingredients, they're mostly potatoes.[/quote']

They are actual carrots cut like chips LOL! I heard from the creator of the shredder diet (Dr. IAN) to have something crunchy to stop cravings....it works! :D

3 mos out and have stall then lost 3lbs and now up 4lbs so I'm pushing the Water more..

Ok, folks I am new to this forum, I want to share my story to hopefully help some of you stay on track and to hopefully get myself back on track. In May of 1999 I had the VSG surgery, I was at 350 lbs and in less than a year I was down to 255 when I stopped losing weight. I should back up and tell you I was a police officer fro 20 years, when I cam out of the police academy in the early 1990's I was 267 with 12 % body fat, running 5 to 7 miles a day and very healthy. Overtime the drive throughs and my constant schedule chages helped me to gain weight. After I had the vsg I felt great, I was back to exercising, but I still didn't eat the best. I will say I pretty much hate the color green oh and I didn't metion yet that Diet Pepsi is like crack to a crack addict for me. So over the last 15 years I have been putting the weight on once I got back to my orginal start weight I pretty much through in the towel and didn't really care. I marked it up as a failure which has never been my norm. I am up to 473 pounds and I have had enough. I have contacted my local hospital and will be meeting there staff to see what I can do. I am hoping to be able to get a vsg pouch back to working if that is possible. What I want to say to all of you brave people is DO NOT DRINK ANYTHING WITH YOUR MEALS NOT EVEN A LITTLE. AND NEVER QUIT YOUR EXERCIS EVEN FOR ONE DAY. AND NO MATTER WHAT NO SODA.

I will keep you all posted as I will look for stength and encouragement as I start this journey again.

Steve

Strange, Just wonder if you have seen the Dr. and how your doing?

I just finished reading this from Biotrust and it was very helpful to help keep me on track so I thought that I'd share it with everyone here. It actually brought a lot of tears while reading but also made me reflect on where I have been getting off track in the past few days.....Sorry it's so long but worth reading

Every day brings challenges. Every week has its ups and downs. Every life is filled with dips and dark days - even mine. We will all go through tough times when it feels like nothing is working or going our way.

But when this happens there is ONE thing you must NOT stop doing.

Let me explain with a story from my childhood that I will never forget...

There I was the little town of Waterloo, Iowa at the ripe age of 15, sitting on the gymnasium floor one summer while attending a wrestling camp. On this particular day the camp host shared a story of tragedy, commitment, perseverance, inspiration, success, disappointment, redemption, and ultimately, heartbreaking courage.

The storyteller was the most intense and passionate speaker I had ever watched, even to this day nearly 25 years later. It was no surprise that he was also an Olympic Gold-medal winner with a world-famous work ethic and dedication to success. Today, he remains an almost unparalleled legend in the sports world.

That speaker and the camp's host was Dan Gable, and that day he taught us an incredibly valuable lesson.

Gable grew up in that very town with an obsession for wrestling. He started making a name for himself in high school, and was living a relatively normal life of a small-town American boy.

That was until tragedy tore apart his family.

While Gable and his parents were out of town on vacation, his older sister, who stayed home alone, was murdered by a boy from school.

Dan Gable was devastated by these events and blamed himself for what had happened. The tragedy has haunted Gable for his entire life, and at that young age he turned his rage inward. He became obsessed with training and for redeeming his sister's life through his performance on the wrestling mat.

His training habits became legendary. He was the first one to practice and the last one to leave. Every workout was undertaken with his mantra of "Push to Collapse."

Each and every session was dedicated to the goal of working so hard that he would have to be physically carried off the wrestling mat at the finish. One by one he exhausted all of his training partners on his high school and eventually college teams.

No one could keep up with him, but no matter how hard he was never able to truly break himself in training. However, this commitment led to a high school championship and an undefeated record in college that spanned several years.

That was until the unthinkable happened.

Wrestling in his final match at the NCAA level, just before Gable was expected to go on and win the Gold medal at the 1972 Olympics, Dan Gable's unbeaten record came to an end in a shocking upset in his final college match.

The sports world was stunned. In tears, Gable left the mat in utter disappointment, feeling that he had let down the memory of his sister.

But he soon returned to training his Push to Collapse approach. He kept on pushing, no matter what.

Eventually he would have his redemption. Gable went on to win the Gold at the '72 Olympics by dominating his competition, no doubt in large part due to his training philosophy and dedication to working harder than anyone else in the world.

His attitude of pushing through the dark days surrounding both his sister's death and his devastating loss in the final match of his college career was what allowed him to become the best in the world at what he did.

His "never, ever give up" attitude is what allowed Gable to become a legend.

What drive and determination. Dan Gable was truly a man that was determined to make the most of the gifts he had been given.

Do you hold the same attitude?

Are you willing to keep on pushing?

Are you determined, no matter how bad it gets, to keep on taking action?

Are you committed to never, ever, EVER giving up on what is important to you?

Listen, everyone suffers through setbacks.

We all have dark days and dips in the road.

But there remains one undeniable truth.

No matter how bad things might feel, no matter how tough your current situation, the truth is that someone, somewhere, in worse circumstances than yours right now, was able to rise up and overcome those obstacles to go on and succeed at achieving their dreams...

...because they kept on pushing.

This is a phrase that has popped up time and time again in my life lately. I say it in countless replies to emails from BioTrust readers and customers as they detail their struggles and hopes in reply to this very newsletter.

It's a phrase that I've made it a point to encourage others with as they push to become their best, day in and day out.

I said it to myself over and over and over again while cooking my own meals, fighting through my own workouts, and spending countless hours to extend the reach of the BioTrust brand across the world so we can help as many people as possible, together.

And when someone achieves success, my comment to them is always, "Congratulations, now Keep on Pushing!"

When someone is struggling, "Stay Strong. Keep on Pushing" are my words of advice.

It doesn't matter where you are in life, in business, or in your relationships, if you're going after something that matters, you just have to Keep on Pushing.

Just Act.

Just Ask for Help.

Just Stop Procrastinating.

Just Never Give Up.

Just Keep on Going.

And when you stumble or get stuck, just Keep on Pushing.

Learn your lesson, readjust your course, and Push again.

Use your leverage.

And Push.

Strain and struggle.

Dig Deep.

And Push.

Back to Dan Gable...

As he wrapped up his speech, he recounted a story with tears in his eyes and a crack in his voice.

Recently, while on the road giving one of his many speeches, his daughter participated in an 800-meter race against the state champion. Gable's wife delivered the play-by-play commentary via cell phone.

It turned out to be a remarkable day for his daughter. She started strong, not only keeping pace with the highly-favored state champion, but eventually taking the lead down the home stretch.

Two hundred meters to go, then one hundred. Their daughter was still in the lead. She was on the verge of a massive upset victory.

Suddenly, the line went silent.

At first he thought he had lost the connection. Then moments later, in shock, his wife began to speak again.

Gable's daughter had literally pushed to collapse.

Within meters of the finish line she had given everything that she could and her legs had simply given out. She fell down within site of the finish, physically unable to go any further.

As Gable explained with great pride in his heart and tears in his eyes, "My daughter did what I could never do. She pushed to collapse."

She might have lost the race, but she won something much more important that day.

And so here's what that means to us...

That no matter how dark the day, no matter how deep the dip in your life, when all else fails all you can do is keep on pushing.

It's the ONE thing must do no matter what life throws at you.

Keep on Pushing.

I'll be right here, along with the BioTrust team and our incredible board of advisers, to give you the support you need.

Stay strong and get stronger,

I'm frustrated because I've followed program to tee. (April op date) and only lost 6 lbs in 7 weeks...my daughter thinks it my hypothyroidism. But did doc take that in acct?

I'm frustrated because I've followed program to tee. (April op date) and only lost 6 lbs in 7 weeks...my daughter thinks it my hypothyroidism. But did doc take that in acct?

You are still so early out, Some gain weight up front from surgery, then lose... there is also a third week stall that may last for weeks... Just keep on plan and things will move.

Are you on meds for hypothyroidism? My doc would not operate without me being on them at a therapeutic level (bc hypothyroidism can be dangerous for anesthesia) Even if you are medicated you may want to have level checked to make sure you are at a good dosage for your new body.

I am on medication, thanks I'll call to see if its been looked at.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum (this is my first stop). I actually had surgery on Tuesday, and while I know I shouldn't be looking so hard at the scale, I noticed that I had gained 5 pounds since I checked myself into the hospital. The nurse said I shouldn't worry - it could be because of the IV fluids being so heavy, but that 5 pounds was shocking. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum (this is my first stop). I actually had surgery on Tuesday, and while I know I shouldn't be looking so hard at the scale, I noticed that I had gained 5 pounds since I checked myself into the hospital. The nurse said I shouldn't worry - it could be because of the IV fluids being so heavy, but that 5 pounds was shocking. Has anyone else experienced this?

85% of your tummy was removed, you will be successful, this isn't WW or Medifast!!! You are swollen and starting to heal. Stay away from anything sweet, and sip Water and broth.....SF popcicles and SF Jell-0!!! You'll be fine. I weigh every day, I have for three years. The scale will go up and down, but you cannot let it bother you. It is what it is.....if you are following the plan, you have NOTHING to worry about. Enjoy this, every pound that vanishes, do a happy dance!!! Congrats, welcome, now you're with the rest of us "losers"!!!! :)

Yes, most people do gain at first from the fluids they pump into you.

You'll start losing . Make sure to follow your doctor's post op eating plan. Don't be surprised if at 3 weeks you plateau for awhile everyone does.