Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I gained 16 lbs. from the IV fluids. I have only met one other person who gained more. I think they gained 17. At least you are protected from dehydration for a few days.

Lynda

I gain 17 lbs, but you must be thinking about somebody else. I have read about a couple of people gaining 20+ after surgery IV fluids since I have been following VST in the last year.

I gain 17 lbs' date=' but you must be thinking about somebody else. I have read about a couple of people gaining 20+ after surgery IV fluids since I have been following VST in the last year.[/quote']

Fiddleman, i don't remember who it was, but i did tell the they were the only one id seen who gained more than me. 20 lbs. Ugh! I will say my skin felt stretched with that extra 16 lbs pumped in. I used a lot of lotion to make it feel better.

Lynda

Fiddleman' date=' i don't remember who it was, but i did tell the they were the only one id seen who gained more than me. 20 lbs. Ugh! I will say my skin felt stretched with that extra 16 lbs pumped in. I used a lot of lotion to make it feel better.

Lynda[/quote']

I feel lucky because by the end of my first week I had lost 5 kg (10 lb approx). I expected to gain because of the IV and swelling.

I put on 12 lbs in the hospital, but I'm now down 10 lbs below my surgery weight, and 12 days out from my surgery. I know some people do seem to hold onto the weight from the IVs longer, though.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum (this is my first stop). I actually had surgery on Tuesday, and while I know I shouldn't be looking so hard at the scale, I noticed that I had gained 5 pounds since I checked myself into the hospital. The nurse said I shouldn't worry - it could be because of the IV fluids being so heavy, but that 5 pounds was shocking. Has anyone else experienced this?

I gained over 4 lbs and was told that with the IV drip and the Water used in surgery - this is normal.

I have gained 38 pounds in the past 9 months.... Looking into DS. Almost up to 170lbs, and I was in the 120's last summer !

I have gained 38 pounds in the past 9 months.... Looking into DS. Almost up to 170lbs, and I was in the 120's last summer !

I'm so sorry to hear this. When did you have your surgery? How much total did you lose when you were at your lowest? Was there something major that changed in your life that triggered this? Have you tried doing the 5 day pouch test? If not, you can google it and find plenty of sites that explain how to do this. It's helpful for people to try and get back on track.

I have struggled myself. I had my surgery a little more than 2 yrs ago and my lowest was 121 as of last summer. I lost my job in Jan this past year and my weight got up to 151. Fortunately I have started going back down and am now 139 and continuing to go back down. I've gone back to focusing on just dense Protein and uppinc my exercise. Not saying its easy because its not. Just offering some suggestions and that your not alone in your struggle.

Oh man, DS is soooo hard on your body and has so many potential longterm complications, have you tried getting back on track with your sleeve? Many of us have been trying the 5:2 diet lately and I also follow a revised paleo eating approach as well, to control my weight so long post op. I am sorry to hear you've gained, that has to be hugely upsetting. I hope you can find a way apart from DS, though. I do know people who've had sleeve revisions, maybe you could try that? Or even a band on your sleeve is another option, though also not my favorite one. LOL...not that my opinion makes any difference, I'm no doctor! I just know people with DS complications and it is not easy. Good luck to you!!!

I just wanted to add a link to the new veterans' forum here as well, so you can be sure to see the threads there, too. There are a number of us struggling with maintenance and/or regain, so do join us there for some good input!!

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/forum/352-gastric-sleeve-veterans-forum-new-forum/

:)

Wow!!!! Thanx soon much 4 your post!! Thought I was totally alone & ashamed & embarrassed to tell anyone about me! It's 2 months & 8 days since surgery...I never experienced any of what I had read or heard @ support groups! I had no nausea, gas & very little discomfort...I was actually looking forward to having to be coaxed to eat or drink!! Never happened...I have absolutely no restricted feeling & sick bout hearing "head hunger"...my stomach growls & no matter how much liquid I drink I'm still not full!!

You made me feel better not because of you struggle but because you made me realize I'm not the ONLY ONE!! I haven't lost or gained anything!! I was told it's in my head, I needs eat more, cause my body was "holding onto what calories I had eaten" etc. I'm 5'4" & weigh 230!!! What is wrong with ne'er?? Not even cutting out part of my stomach helps me!!! Feel so low. HELPPP anyone!!

I am having a hell of a time...no weight lost in 4 months...still 30lb from goal ...going up and down on 5 lb...back on diet pills...

I am having a hell of a time...no weight lost in 4 months...still 30lb from goal ...going up and down on 5 lb...back on diet pills...

The last 20-30 lbs are tough. Your body needs extra help to get past set points. Try really increasing the intensity of your workouts. If you run, start running 5-10 k to burn a large amount of calories. If you lift, start to lift to fatigue. Really push yourself. Make your body work! It is worth it!

Do check out the Vets forum... many in the same boat working to get to goal or lose those reagained pounds. I never got to goal (close...) and had a22 pound regain... I am almost down to my origional low... using the 5:2 with lots of success and not too hard to follow.

Sorry about your regain, please try this before you go under the knife, it might just do the trick!

Wow!!!! Thanx soon much 4 your post!! Thought I was totally alone & ashamed & embarrassed to tell anyone about me! It's 2 months & 8 days since surgery...I never experienced any of what I had read or heard @ support groups! I had no nausea, gas & very little discomfort...I was actually looking forward to having to be coaxed to eat or drink!! Never happened...I have absolutely no restricted feeling & sick bout hearing "head hunger"...my stomach growls & no matter how much liquid I drink I'm still not full!!

You made me feel better not because of you struggle but because you made me realize I'm not the ONLY ONE!! I haven't lost or gained anything!! I was told it's in my head, I needs eat more, cause my body was "holding onto what calories I had eaten" etc. I'm 5'4" & weigh 230!!! What is wrong with ne'er?? Not even cutting out part of my stomach helps me!!! Feel so low. HELPPP anyone!!

joly, seriously relax, you don't feel that much restriction until you are at solids. Even if you cant feel "full" don't eat till you feel full, eat by measuring and counting calories. You had nerves cut in your stomach, and you may not be able to feel full yet, until you actually heal up... maybe quite a bit later! Just slow down and follow your Docs and Nuts advice. Also, at 2-3 weeks many people go into a LONG stall (the 3 week stall its called) Mine lasted 4 weeks! This is normal! Just hang in there. Things will move soon.