Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do I think I can eat more than I can???

I had surgery on July 6th. I had no problem maintaining the liquid diet before or after surgery, but now that I am starting to eat some solids, I find that I eat more than I should and I end up miserable. Within 15 minutes of eating, I cannot even streatch out enough to get comfortable. Last night I ate about 8-10 small bites of talipa at a restaurant and I thought I would burst. I've done the same thing 4 or 5 times. When will I figure out the right amount my stomach can hold??? I haven't thrown up because I've eaten too much. I've just made myself miserable.

Well, I hate to tell you, but 1-1/2 yrs out and I STILL have to pay attention sometimes and not eat too much. I spent 45+ years eating however much food I could stuff in my face, so this new way of eating just takes practice and patience to get used to. Tiffykins used to measure all her food for awhile to make sure she didn't try to eat too much. My hubby usually looks at my plate, shakes his head, and says "You know you won't be able to eat all that." And of course he's right. So having a "buddy" who can help you to keep from eating too much has really helped me. Now I feel like the saying "your eyes are too big for your stomach" actually apply to me in a VERY real way.

To make sure I get in all the Protein and nutrients I need, I typically will eat a few bites, wait awhile for it to digest, then go at it again a bit later. That's hard to do at a restaurant when everyone else is finished eating and ready to go, but it certainly works for me at home. With your new baby stomach, take it slow and easy and don't overstress it to try and fit in more food. As time goes on it will stretch a bit and you'll be able to eat more. Right now though listen to your body and stop when you get that full feeling - before you start to feel miserable. It just takes time and practice. Good luck!

4 words: Old habbits die hard! lol

Sleeved July 7....and I've done it too!!! Especially when it "tastes so good" after a month or more of "bland" or "nothingness" hahaha I'm hoping the novely wears off. I've just started eyeballing how much I can have and sort of shove everything off to the side. If I'm preparing it, I am just putting the estimated portion on my plate and quickly giving my "left-overs" to one of my human food vacuum sons!

I just started eating soft foods, and my NUT suggested that you take a small bite and put your fork down and sing Twinkle Twinkle little star in your head....then take another bite. It gives time for the food in your tummy to signal to your brain its getting full. Overwise its too late and it hurts. I have not made myself miserable yet, but I can certainly tell, that maybe I shouldn't have taken that last bite.

Good Luck. This is going to be hard. Because I'm just like you. It looks good, taste good and you just want to take big bites like you use too.

But we have this new tool that will not let us do that anymore... THANK GOODNESS!!

I struggle with this as a newbie (had surgery 6/29). I think my mind's just convinced that 2 tablespoons isn't going to satisy me - I'm going to be hungry. And once it's in my bowl, it's really hard to stop eating and pay attention to my body's signals. I haven't successfully resigned from the clean plate club yet, and I hate to waste food (my fridge is full of little bitty servings of things I need to throw out!)

It's getting a little easier the further out I get from surgery because my stomach's not so numb, and though I wouldn't say I ever feel hungry the way it felt before, I do sometimes feel a little empty. I'm hoping that as I move to more solid foods the restriction will be even more evident and I'll have stronger signals to listen to and learn from. At this point if I eat too much, the only penalty is some very mild discomfort and maybe burping a bit of my food back up. I know I've been a mindless eater for years, so these are days to learn important skills for me so I can develop good habits!!

That is why you should always measure your food. If you do so, you will NEVER overeat.

My plan at the stage I am at calls for 1/2 c and that is what I do at every meal. I usually can never finish it, but that is what I give myself.

I know I will not eat too much doing this and will not be sick. I will continue to do this forever.

Hope this helps you.

Kelly :D

Thanks for the words of wisdom! Since my eyes are still bigger than my stomach, I think I'll try measuring out what I can eat and moving what I am not going to eat off my plate into another container.

I put the regular sized plates on the top shelf of my cabinet - where I can only reach them with a step stool. My husband I I now eat our meals from salad plates and desert plates (even smaller). The big Pasta bowls are in an out of way place and any thing served in individual bowls are in SMALL bowls. I even use my ramekins to serve my servings in.

If I am in a restaurant, I either ask for a to go container at the first of the meal and take the stuff I am not going to eat from my plate and put it in the container. If that isn't possible, I decide how much I should eat from my serving before I start eating - and either cut that much off, or separate it in some way from the stuff I won't be able to eat. Then I slowly enoy my portion. When I am done with my alloted portion, put my utensils down, take the napking from my lap, and excuse myself from the table for a bathroom break. By the time I am back, my brain is well in control of my hands and stomach - so I am not tempted by the rest of the food on my plate. Sometimes, the waiter/waitress has taken my plate away (YEA!).

Good luck - it's a hard habit to learn.

When I am done with my alloted portion, put my utensils down, take the napking from my lap, and excuse myself from the table for a bathroom break. By the time I am back, my brain is well in control of my hands and stomach -

Awesome Idea...the next step is to train your SO to have it boxed "to-go" before you return! :D I'm going to absolutely borrow this!!!

Listen to these people. You will get fat again if you don't learn how to eat right. My Doctor has a year long classes set up to help you learn & keep track of these things. See if there is something in your area. The sleeve is a tool not a cure.

I had the band so I had this eating curve beat to some degree. BUT, I will say measuring your portions by volume will help avoid this issue.

I realize carrying measuring cups is not convenient nor is it realistic, but some tips I learned along the way are visuals.

A matchbox is about 1oz, a deck of card is 3oz. For eating out, to this very day, I still use these visuals to ensure I don't overeat. Also, the food that will fit in the palm of your hand is pretty stinkin' close to 3-4oz.

Eyeballing is just not accurate, nor did it help me stay accountable.

food density and consistency will vary, and everyone has different mileage for certain foods. The "how" behind foods are prepared are also a key component to how much of a certain food I can consume at one meal. For me, during the losing stage, I timed my meals. No more than 30 minutes, and if I didn't/couldn't finish the measured portion in that time period, no biggie it went in the trash. I lived with the "clean your plate" and the "if you put it on your plate, you better eat all of it" lifestyle, and what did that do for me??? It got me up to 270lbs, I never learned Portion Control until I was post-op.

A lot of this stuff is behavioral changes. Chewing food to mush early out really helps prevent this feeling of "Ugh, I'm gonna puke or OH sh*t I'm miserable". Grant it, I hated things tasting like sawdust early out, but if I didn't want to be uncomfortable or puke I had to do it. Some of this just the healing process as well. Your nerves have been cut, stapled off, damaged and are trying to heal. I didn't get a full signal until I was around 3ish months out, and it was a single hiccup, and I didn't even know that is what was going on until it was too late. I had that one last bite thing happen a few times, and it always resulted in me puking up that last bite.

Today, I can eat double the amounts I could consume at 2-4 months post-op, but still have the same restriction I had at 8-9 months post-op. So, the restriction is still there, my slider foods have changed over time, and I have learned how to cheat the sleeve by adding food lube(condiments, gravy, sauces), extending my meals, and eating sliders. I don't employ these tactics often, and it's typically at social functions when I find myself cheating my sleeve. I eat out 3-5 times per week with friends and family, and I do eat more because of the pregnancy so I'm not as stringent as I was in my losing phase.