Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coughing or Allergies after sleeve?

Has anyone else experienced strange allergies AFTER being sleeved?

BEFORE - allergic to tomatoes; occasionally I would have seasonal allergies if the pollen count was high.

NOW -- My nose constantly runs and I cough a LOT (almost week 4). I also developed a severe allergic reaction to surgical tape. Even the butterfly Ster-strip on my drain scar left a sore the size of a pencil eraser!

So, I am wondering if I have developed some weird allergies since being sleeved -- ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS? Does it go away?

This morning I was thinking "Is it the dairy?" I am drinking whey Protein powder (which I really like and have drank it "before" the sleeve). Two other people on this forum mentioned allergy problems.

IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS, what did you do about it?

Whew -- 'scuse me while I go cough a while. (wheeze-cough-cough-wheeze)

My allergies actually improved with surgery! Before surgery I had constant post nasal drip and a cough. My nose was running so much they put me on 2 rounds of antibiotics to be safe. After surgery that was gone and has stayed gone for the first time in a couple of years. I have no food allergies that I know of. My theory is the shot they give right before surgery to dry up the mucus membranes was my savior!

I googled several questions about it.

ONE of the things I found talked about GERD (which I know nothing about). It said that acid reflux & heartburn can irritate the throat and cause a persistent dry cough like an "allergy". The only relief is what all of us already know -- take your meds to keep the reflux & heartburn calm.

It also said it can be worse right after you eat... which I have noticed. Which was why I kept wondering if it was a food allergy.

Now I am wondering if I need to take stronger doses (or more frequent doses) of Pepcid & Prilosec.

What doses are YOU on?

Hmmm...not sure but I know that personally I am lactose intolerant. I once began drinking whey Protein Shakes (one of my many attempts at losing the weight) and within 5 days I was sick sick sick.... whey is a derivative of milk. I had all the symptoms I got with drinking/eating milk products but worse: eczema, runny nose, bloated abdoment, GI discomfort etc. Knowing this and in preparation for my upcoming surgery I have begun searching for a Protein Powder source that my body can tolerate. It looks like I may have to go to vegan Protein powders. I've had them before and they are easy on my tummy; hard to find low carb protein powder that is vegan..so we'll see.

Has anyone else experienced strange allergies AFTER being sleeved?

BEFORE - allergic to tomatoes; occasionally I would have seasonal allergies if the pollen count was high.

NOW -- My nose constantly runs and I cough a LOT (almost week 4). I also developed a severe allergic reaction to surgical tape. Even the butterfly Ster-strip on my drain scar left a sore the size of a pencil eraser!

So, I am wondering if I have developed some weird allergies since being sleeved -- ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS? Does it go away?

This morning I was thinking "Is it the dairy?" I am drinking whey Protein powder (which I really like and have drank it "before" the sleeve). Two other people on this forum mentioned allergy problems.

IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS, what did you do about it?

Whew -- 'scuse me while I go cough a while. (wheeze-cough-cough-wheeze)

Just the opposite for me, before the surgery I would have violent coughing, choking spasms two or three times a day. Now 4 days post op and not a single cough.

Before my surgery (March 2015) I was allergic to fresh pineapple but since my surgery I don't seem to have that issue anymore however I now found that I am allergic chocolate. I don't know if that is because of some change in my body from the surgery or what.