Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved and SOOOOOOOO Happy in Texas

Hello everyone, I just found this site today. I wish I had found it when I was doing my research on WLS. But all is not lost. Well not all of my weight thats for sure. Still have a ways to go. I was sleeved on May 16th, 2011. Its now a little over 8 weeks and I have lost 39 lbs. My doctor was Dr. Nick Nickelson out of Plano, TX. I am so happy with Dr. Nick, and his staff. They are all great. even when you call for a silly question, they dont make you feel silly. My story started last year, when I started to have some health issues. I have always been overweight most of my life and it was never really an issue for me. I was healthy and happy so I told myself.. "Whats the big deal if I'm overweight." Well I found out what the big deal was last year when I started having issues with Reflux. It actually put me in the hospital thinking that I was having heart issues. They found that I have had some damage from an asthma attack I had 4 yrs ago when the medication ran my heart rate so high. I have always had Asthma my whole life and in the last 4 years it has just gotten worse. Now they are telling me that it might be caused due to the reflux and also the fact that I was now pre-cancerous cells in my esophagus. And that most of these issues could be tied back to my being over weight. So I sat down with my family dr. and we discussed my options. I did the research on WLS and then spoke with Dr. Nicholson regarding the best surgery for me. We decided on the Gastric Sleeve. Knowing that any kind of surgery is an issue for me due to complications with Anesthesa, we went ahead and scheduled the surgery. When the date came and so did the complications, I thought to myself "WHAT have I done to myself" but after a couple of extra days in the hospital and a couple of weeks recovery at home I can now say "I WOULD do it all over again" I am so happy with the surgery. I am now looking for people who are dealing with or have dealt with the issues Im facing, living with a sleeve on a daily basis. I hope to make many friends here.

Myst

Autumn, Thank you for that. If you need anything please feel free to ask. I have been lucky in the fact that I have a great support system with my husband and family. It really helps. :)

Glad you found us!:lol:

Welcome. I just had my surgery this past Monday with Dr. Nick. He is great. Glad you found this site. It has so much info and so many great people here willing to help, even with our silly questions. LOL

Welcome Hun,

I too found this website so helpful, informative, and supportive!!! Welcome to the site and good luck

Welcom to the forum Myst. So glad you are here and I'm sure you'll get a lot of unanswered questions answered. This board is FULL of amazing resources.

Even though the surgery is irreversible, it never get's old hearing that someone who has gone before you would, "do it all again!" Thanks for the story.

Love your tag,

Susan