Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beauty Queen Weight Loss Skeptic

I saw a headline on the Yahoo! opening page about a paegant queen who lost over a hundred pounds before winning her crown recently. Before I even read the story, I already came to the conclusion that she had some sort of WLS. I skimmed through the article, looking for proof of my theory, but only saw something about "changing her diet" and "learning how to cook healthy foods" and "working out 30 - 60 mins a day". I dont believe the hype, but I've noticed now that since I've discovered WLS, I think everyone who's lost lots of weight has had some sort of procedure done. Recent celebs that come to mind are Jennifer Hudson, Raven Symone, and Jordin Sparks. Raven and Jordan didnt lose as much as Jennifer so I can believe that hiring a trainer and/or personal chef could be involved in their case, but I think JHud had a VSG. *dont judge me*

We would never judge you, silly Kayyybeee!!!! I am with you, whether they print it or not - of course as you stated when you have that kind of money a personal trainer and personal chef make it easier than for us "normal" folks. ;)

I think I'm really addicted to Facebook. After reading your reply I was searching frantically for the "like" button. SMH.

Hey, you are not alone, sometimes I think the same exact thing!

I think I'm really addicted to Facebook. After reading your reply I was searching frantically for the "like" button. SMH.

LOL :) We do have "like" buttons. It is the little box on the bottom right with the + / -...

Re: WLS on celebs. I see it like this, if they say it's not, then I just assume it's not. Yeah sure, some have gotten caught in fibs but that doesn't mean they are all fibbing. Do you have a link to the article? I'd like to check it out. Also, there are many surgeons who can do WLS without scars these days so most likely if the Celeb doesn't want anyone to know and shows off their physique in a bikini we still may never know.

You know, I have seen the little positive and negative signs and have used them from time to time. Too bad more people arent aware of them.

I dont have the link to the article, but if you go to the main yahoo page, it's one of their featured stories. I believe the paegant queens name is Bree Boyce or something like that. There are before and after pics, and she doesnt even look like the same person.

LOL :) We do have "like" buttons. It is the little box on the bottom right with the + / -...

Re: WLS on celebs. I see it like this, if they say it's not, then I just assume it's not. Yeah sure, some have gotten caught in fibs but that doesn't mean they are all fibbing. Do you have a link to the article? I'd like to check it out. Also, there are many surgeons who can do WLS without scars these days so most likely if the Celeb doesn't want anyone to know and shows off their physique in a bikini we still may never know.

Ugghh how rude!!!! My job "access denied". Booo!!! Oh well, I'll just have to check it out at home. Or I'll do a google search on her and see what I can find.

Okay here is the best story with photos I could find on this story through google search. It doesn't look to me like she lost 110+ Lbs. Maybe more like 60 - but what do I know? :P

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43676767

No judgement here because i have the same exact thoughts!!! I am not trying to be critical, it's just like even with Aretha Franklin and Drew Carey. 80-100 lbs, and they just suddenly after yrs and yrs of being big are successful at losing that kind of weight? I am sure by now, Aretha has lost even more, it's been a few months since I first saw her. I watched a talk show with Drew and he said he's going to just say "80" lost, because he lost more but has had a slight regain since his original loss. He talked about changing his eating, watching his carbs, eating things like greek yogurt.. I don't judge them either, and I guess after reading how many people on these forums keep their surgeries a secret, then a celebrity has just as much right to their privacy and they are stalked by the paparazzi so much and judged and critiqued publicly so much, so they probably want to keep their privacy even more than the average joe. And we've all seen how they do people like Carnie Wilson in the media. So it's no wonder!! But I am still very curious about the truth, because of my own journey. I know it's possible with their $ to hire personal trainers and nutritionists and chefs, but it does seem odd that it seems to be happening only in the last yr or so that we are seeing all these celebrity transformations. Regardless of the method, I am very very happy for them despite my suspicion lol. I always love seeing weight loss success. I love watching shows like Extreme Makeover, Weight loss edition, but I have mixed emotions with it. I am excited for the loss they have but I worry on their ability to keep up the exercise routines they have to keep. I do think some kind of exercise is helpful, beneficial, and sometimes vital to our health, regardless our weight. But 4-5 hrs a day?? When they get back to their own lives, no one is making them do this stuff, no one is buying and providing them with their groceries, etc. I worry about their well-being and emotional health and what failing after the show will do to their self esteem if they are unable to maintain. Sometimes I like the show cuz the guy seems to really care, but then sometimes I feel it's no more than a circus/freak show when he makes a big deal on the scales he has to use to weigh them at their starting weight. I know they get trips, exercise machines, cars, groceries bought for them, but can he at least not humiliate them on tv? Can't they do the weighing and just tell what the starting weight is without making them disrobe with all the rolls hanging out and stress they can't use a reg scale. I guess I know how i would feel in the same situation. But I guess they feel it makes good tv and that's why they do it. Anything for good ratings, right? I need to submit this post before i really get to ranting hahahaha

:)

Kelly girl, you said it all! all I can do is nod in agreement with you. I guess no one wants to be judged for having surgery to assist with weight loss. You seem like a "stronger" person if people believe that you worked out and changed the way you eat to lose weight. I'll be right in line with the celebs talkin about my low carb intake and my newly found exercise regimen.

No judgement here because i have the same exact thoughts!!! I am not trying to be critical, it's just like even with Aretha Franklin and Drew Carey. 80-100 lbs, and they just suddenly after yrs and yrs of being big are successful at losing that kind of weight? I am sure by now, Aretha has lost even more, it's been a few months since I first saw her. I watched a talk show with Drew and he said he's going to just say "80" lost, because he lost more but has had a slight regain since his original loss. He talked about changing his eating, watching his carbs, eating things like greek yogurt.. I don't judge them either, and I guess after reading how many people on these forums keep their surgeries a secret, then a celebrity has just as much right to their privacy and they are stalked by the paparazzi so much and judged and critiqued publicly so much, so they probably want to keep their privacy even more than the average joe. And we've all seen how they do people like Carnie Wilson in the media. So it's no wonder!! But I am still very curious about the truth, because of my own journey. I know it's possible with their $ to hire personal trainers and nutritionists and chefs, but it does seem odd that it seems to be happening only in the last yr or so that we are seeing all these celebrity transformations. Regardless of the method, I am very very happy for them despite my suspicion lol. I always love seeing weight loss success. I love watching shows like Extreme Makeover, Weight loss edition, but I have mixed emotions with it. I am excited for the loss they have but I worry on their ability to keep up the exercise routines they have to keep. I do think some kind of exercise is helpful, beneficial, and sometimes vital to our health, regardless our weight. But 4-5 hrs a day?? When they get back to their own lives, no one is making them do this stuff, no one is buying and providing them with their groceries, etc. I worry about their well-being and emotional health and what failing after the show will do to their self esteem if they are unable to maintain. Sometimes I like the show cuz the guy seems to really care, but then sometimes I feel it's no more than a circus/freak show when he makes a big deal on the scales he has to use to weigh them at their starting weight. I know they get trips, exercise machines, cars, groceries bought for them, but can he at least not humiliate them on tv? Can't they do the weighing and just tell what the starting weight is without making them disrobe with all the rolls hanging out and stress they can't use a reg scale. I guess I know how i would feel in the same situation. But I guess they feel it makes good tv and that's why they do it. Anything for good ratings, right? I need to submit this post before i really get to ranting hahahaha

No judgement here because i have the same exact thoughts!!! I am not trying to be critical, it's just like even with Aretha Franklin and Drew Carey. 80-100 lbs, and they just suddenly after yrs and yrs of being big are successful at losing that kind of weight? I am sure by now, Aretha has lost even more, it's been a few months since I first saw her. I watched a talk show with Drew and he said he's going to just say "80" lost, because he lost more but has had a slight regain since his original loss. He talked about changing his eating, watching his carbs, eating things like greek yogurt..

No kidding! I always think maybe WLS is involved anytime anyone mentions the Greek Yogurt... hahaa!!

I always love seeing weight loss success. I love watching shows like Extreme Makeover, Weight loss edition, but I have mixed emotions with it. I am excited for the loss they have but I worry on their ability to keep up the exercise routines they have to keep. I do think some kind of exercise is helpful, beneficial, and sometimes vital to our health, regardless our weight. But 4-5 hrs a day?? When they get back to their own lives, no one is making them do this stuff, no one is buying and providing them with their groceries, etc. I worry about their well-being and emotional health and what failing after the show will do to their self esteem if they are unable to maintain. Sometimes I like the show cuz the guy seems to really care, but then sometimes I feel it's no more than a circus/freak show when he makes a big deal on the scales he has to use to weigh them at their starting weight. I know they get trips, exercise machines, cars, groceries bought for them, but can he at least not humiliate them on tv? Can't they do the weighing and just tell what the starting weight is without making them disrobe with all the rolls hanging out and stress they can't use a reg scale. I guess I know how i would feel in the same situation. But I guess they feel it makes good tv and that's why they do it. Anything for good ratings, right? I need to submit this post before i really get to ranting hahahaha

This is so true! I just recently seen the most updated episode. I really hate how they make them originally weigh in on a freight scale. These people are not 1,000+ Lbs!! They DO make scales that can accomodate these folks. They have them at the Obesity Clinics, so that weight in is total BS. Of course WE all know this stuff... the average american Joe Schmoe does not. Regardless though I do still like watching this show.

Also on the very last show the man who they showcase failed miserably and had to be admitted into an addiction rehab clinic. This would be true for me too if I didn't get the sleeve. I love to eat! Anything!! Good healthy food, and some not so much. My sleeve literally makes me physically ill if I eat bad foods, and I can only eat no more than one cups worth of the good stuff. So... I think I'm doing fine. All I know is that through the whole show I kept thinking this guy would benefit so much with the sleeve!!

Let me throw Jonah Hill into the ring here. Just read this article about his amazing weight loss. He says when he eat unhealthy stuff he doesn't feel good. Sounds like WLS to me :-) Check it out for yourself...

http://uk.omg.yahoo.com/gossip/the-juice/woah-jonah-hill-lost-shed-load-weight-163317829.html

I'm not judging because I keep my WLS a secret too. But I am torn because I think the stigma would go away if we all opened up about it. Double edged sword, eh?

Insurance companies would never allow them to showcase sleeved participants. They would lose too much money if everyone started getting sleeved and no longer suffered from all those comorbidities.

LOL @ Greek Yogurt = WLS. I love it! I have to incorporate it into my rehearsed weight loss surgery answer I plan to give to people when I finally get sleeved and slim down. Lol

No kidding! I always think maybe WLS is involved anytime anyone mentions the Greek Yogurt... hahaa!!

This is so true! I just recently seen the most updated episode. I really hate how they make them originally weigh in on a freight scale. These people are not 1,000+ Lbs!! They DO make scales that can accomodate these folks. They have them at the Obesity Clinics, so that weight in is total BS. Of course WE all know this stuff... the average american Joe Schmoe does not. Regardless though I do still like watching this show.

Also on the very last show the man who they showcase failed miserably and had to be admitted into an addiction rehab clinic. This would be true for me too if I didn't get the sleeve. I love to eat! Anything!! Good healthy food, and some not so much. My sleeve literally makes me physically ill if I eat bad foods, and I can only eat no more than one cups worth of the good stuff. So... I think I'm doing fine. All I know is that through the whole show I kept thinking this guy would benefit so much with the sleeve!!

I think the stigma would go away if celebrities opened up about it. Our society lives through celebrities and whats put in front of them on tv, magazines, etc.

Let me throw Jonah Hill into the ring here. Just read this article about his amazing weight loss. He says when he eat unhealthy stuff he doesn't feel good. Sounds like WLS to me :-) Check it out for yourself...

http://uk.omg.yahoo....-163317829.html

I'm not judging because I keep my WLS a secret too. But I am torn because I think the stigma would go away if we all opened up about it. Double edged sword, eh?

WHOA. I just looked at the Jonah Hill story. I didnt even recognize him!

I think the stigma would go away if celebrities opened up about it. Our society lives through celebrities and whats put in front of them on tv, magazines, etc.