Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

About to take the plunge

Hello to everyone. I will be having my surgery on Tuesday July26th. I can't begin to say enough how happy, excited and thankful I am for this to be done. I have started the liquid diet just so my brain doesn't go into complete shock with the new eating plan and thankfully it has not been bad. Having said that I am about to go to NY to visit friends and family so I won't be so quick to announce my victory lest I fall flat onto some dirty Water dogs or NYC pretzels (my New Yorkers will know what I mean). I have met such a wonderful woman who has quickly become my friend who will having her surgery the day after me and will will both be traveling alone, kind of a WLS Thelman and Louise!

I have been obese nearly my entire life. I can remember as far back as 8 years old having a school nurse announce it and I had no idea what that meant. It's amazing how things stay in your mind. Until this surgery came into my life plan, I truly had given up any plans of being a "normal" weight and just prayed I could get enough weight off to keep my blood pressure from killing me. I know that sounds crazy but if you can't bottom line it here you can't do it anywhere else. I have an amazing life as is. I have a career in a field I genuinely love, I have wonderful people in my life and am so blessed it almost seems hard to imagine. The weight is my "final frontier". That is not to say I operate in a state of perfection in all other areas. But I have a calm, drama free life and am a positive and happy person.

Now, here's the thing that caught me off guard. I find that just as I am thrilled for the "new" me to arrive, I find myself mourning the loss of the "old" me. I don't know how to truly describe it but I almost feel like I'm abandoning her. Don't get me wrong.....to get this weight off has been a dream and I know these feelings will pass but if anyone even remotely understands what I'm trying to say I would love to hear from you. I don't ever want to seem unappreciative of this gift, just didn't expect to be feeling this. The food, oh yes, I thought I'd climb the walls but it's almost freeing to know I will only have to drink my meals. No binging, or trolling the cabinets and refridgerator, just fire up the blender and dinner is served!

Regardless of responses or not I want to say that this message board is such a gift and all of you are so wonderful to share your love, support, funny stories etc. I can't count the number of times I have laughed out loud, by myself, and had people look at me like I was bananas. I wish all of you the dreams and desires of your heart.

Wendy

hey wendy! well let me start off by saying congrats on your surgery and i pray all goes well for you! keep us posted. im a "new yawker" so i know EXACTLY what you mean. its hard to walk down the street and not just want to stop. it seems so natural, you dont even have to be hungry. its as simple as taking a sip of Water. lol. maybe thats why a lot of nyers are over weight.

i also know all about the whole overweight since forever! i remember always being called fat. my cousins were all stick figures and wore tiny clothes but i was wearing bigger sizes and could never fit their clothes or shoes (because my feet were fat). i look at being over weight as normal now. but when my skinny friends or family are in the car with me, i see a huge difference. i feel like i take up so much room. its embarrassing. :'( im only 22. i hate it. i feel like in their heads, they are saying "wow.. shes fat"

not a day goes by that i dont have to swallow my pride & keep my chin up & stay confident. :(

so leaving the old me behind feels very good! i cant wait to abandon who i am right now.... what i feel somewhat sad about is abandoning the food. i know ill miss it but its killing me slowly. everything that glitters aint gold.

so im looking fwd to being sleeved. hopefully in nov, if not in december (if im approved).

good luck to u! <3

Hello to everyone. I will be having my surgery on Tuesday July26th. I can't begin to say enough how happy, excited and thankful I am for this to be done. I have started the liquid diet just so my brain doesn't go into complete shock with the new eating plan and thankfully it has not been bad. Having said that I am about to go to NY to visit friends and family so I won't be so quick to announce my victory lest I fall flat onto some dirty Water dogs or NYC pretzels (my New Yorkers will know what I mean). I have met such a wonderful woman who has quickly become my friend who will having her surgery the day after me and will will both be traveling alone, kind of a WLS Thelman and Louise!

I have been obese nearly my entire life. I can remember as far back as 8 years old having a school nurse announce it and I had no idea what that meant. It's amazing how things stay in your mind. Until this surgery came into my life plan, I truly had given up any plans of being a "normal" weight and just prayed I could get enough weight off to keep my blood pressure from killing me. I know that sounds crazy but if you can't bottom line it here you can't do it anywhere else. I have an amazing life as is. I have a career in a field I genuinely love, I have wonderful people in my life and am so blessed it almost seems hard to imagine. The weight is my "final frontier". That is not to say I operate in a state of perfection in all other areas. But I have a calm, drama free life and am a positive and happy person.

Now, here's the thing that caught me off guard. I find that just as I am thrilled for the "new" me to arrive, I find myself mourning the loss of the "old" me. I don't know how to truly describe it but I almost feel like I'm abandoning her. Don't get me wrong.....to get this weight off has been a dream and I know these feelings will pass but if anyone even remotely understands what I'm trying to say I would love to hear from you. I don't ever want to seem unappreciative of this gift, just didn't expect to be feeling this. The food, oh yes, I thought I'd climb the walls but it's almost freeing to know I will only have to drink my meals. No binging, or trolling the cabinets and refridgerator, just fire up the blender and dinner is served!

Regardless of responses or not I want to say that this message board is such a gift and all of you are so wonderful to share your love, support, funny stories etc. I can't count the number of times I have laughed out loud, by myself, and had people look at me like I was bananas. I wish all of you the dreams and desires of your heart.

Wendy

Congrats to both of you on your upcoming surgeries. Don't feel sad about leaving the old self behind. You're not actually leaving you behind...only the tent! You're taking you with you and you'll be free from all the extra weight so that you can truly enjoy life. I'm 16 days post op and so, my journey has barely begun. I've lost somewhere between 30 and 35 pounds since I started the pre-op diet and I already feel better. I don't feel bad about leaving all that weight behind. It's hard to let go of ALL the food but the really cool thing is that I will once again, one day enjoy real food again but because I can't gorge (no room in there) and because I know that I don't want to eat all the wrong things all the time ... ever again... I am so looking forward to enjoying food in a way that I have never enjoyed it before and guess what...I'll be thin doing it! What an awesome feeling! We deserve to feel like we're a normal size. I felt for years that my weight defined me because of the way others treated me. I felt like I would never be loved and cared about the way that I should be because there were some that couldn't see past my fat. I had given up on weight loss. I was tired of working really hard to lose weight just to turn around and gain it back, plus some. It was awful! I had already told my husband that I wasn't going to try anymore to lose weight. I had given up and that put me in a dark place. Then, him and I started talking about WLS. I never thought it would happen but it did and even though I haven't lost a whole lot, I'm already starting to feel free from this smuthering weight.

Be happy about leaving the old body behind...take your personality with you but say goodbye to the rest of you! ;)

i love this :)

Congrats to both of you on your upcoming surgeries. Don't feel sad about leaving the old self behind. You're not actually leaving you behind...only the tent! You're taking you with you and you'll be free from all the extra weight so that you can truly enjoy life. I'm 16 days post op and so, my journey has barely begun. I've lost somewhere between 30 and 35 pounds since I started the pre-op diet and I already feel better. I don't feel bad about leaving all that weight behind. It's hard to let go of ALL the food but the really cool thing is that I will once again, one day enjoy real food again but because I can't gorge (no room in there) and because I know that I don't want to eat all the wrong things all the time ... ever again... I am so looking forward to enjoying food in a way that I have never enjoyed it before and guess what...I'll be thin doing it! What an awesome feeling! We deserve to feel like we're a normal size. I felt for years that my weight defined me because of the way others treated me. I felt like I would never be loved and cared about the way that I should be because there were some that couldn't see past my fat. I had given up on weight loss. I was tired of working really hard to lose weight just to turn around and gain it back, plus some. It was awful! I had already told my husband that I wasn't going to try anymore to lose weight. I had given up and that put me in a dark place. Then, him and I started talking about WLS. I never thought it would happen but it did and even though I haven't lost a whole lot, I'm already starting to feel free from this smuthering weight.

Be happy about leaving the old body behind...take your personality with you but say goodbye to the rest of you! ;)

:rolleyes:Hey my redheaded sister, you are such a blessing you always make me smile!!!!!!!!!!

Who is who?........I don't remember who was who in the movie, but I am the older one and can handle a gun. Although the younger one slept with Brad Pitt. Just remember if it happens again you will share.:o lol

Thank you ladies!! You are wonderful! Sandra. . . .mi Brad Pitt y su Brad Pitt! In thinking this through a little more I will say that next week I will be reunited with my three younger sisters (second marriage for my father) with whom I have not seen in 10 years. There have been many ups and downs but we are all doing well and thankful to have time to be together and strengthen our bond. That having been said, my younger sister (same Mom and Dad) passed away and while I am thrilled to be seeing my younger sisters I find myself very sad about the fact that Jennifer will not be there. It's just a lot to go through at one time and I think many feeling from her death are just resurfacing. What has been an incredible observation to me is just how much I have allowed food to fill voids thinking it would fix things. I am doing amazingly well with the liquid diet (shout out to my fellow NY jasleve!!) Ultimately I know God is so awesome and He will get me through all of this. Thank you again for offering support. Sandra I absolutely can NOT wait to see you!!!!

i am very sorry to hear about your loss. just know that jennifer is dancing with angels and watching over you & your family. she gets to probably eat all she wants and not gain a pound! lol lucky her!

i hope you enjoy your trip to ny! :) it has been so nice lately. i have yet to visit the beach & im hating myself for it. one thing im excited about is, im should be sleeved (if all goes well) by december meaning by summer 2012, ill be new & improved! :)

Thank you ladies!! You are wonderful! Sandra. . . .mi Brad Pitt y su Brad Pitt! In thinking this through a little more I will say that next week I will be reunited with my three younger sisters (second marriage for my father) with whom I have not seen in 10 years. There have been many ups and downs but we are all doing well and thankful to have time to be together and strengthen our bond. That having been said, my younger sister (same Mom and Dad) passed away and while I am thrilled to be seeing my younger sisters I find myself very sad about the fact that Jennifer will not be there. It's just a lot to go through at one time and I think many feeling from her death are just resurfacing. What has been an incredible observation to me is just how much I have allowed food to fill voids thinking it would fix things. I am doing amazingly well with the liquid diet (shout out to my fellow NY jasleve!!) Ultimately I know God is so awesome and He will get me through all of this. Thank you again for offering support. Sandra I absolutely can NOT wait to see you!!!!