Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I know if I'm full?

How can you tell that you've eaten enough? Is it when you belch? This sounds crazy, but I don't know when to stop. I feel restriction about halfway through my meal, and I think that there's no way that my stomach is that small...so I eat until it hurts. I am in no way over eating--my meals are 1/4 to 1/2 a cup. Any advice??

A half a cup may be too much. Don't just eat because you think its not enough... you stomach is trying to tell you something... pain is when you have gone too far. Your stomach will relax and make more room for food soon enough... Use your honeymoon period while you have it.

A half a cup may be too much. Don't just eat because you think its not enough... you stomach is trying to tell you something... pain is when you have gone too far. Your stomach will relax and make more room for food soon enough... Use your honeymoon period while you have it.

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!

Its a challenge to figure out the signals... some nerves were cut, and the stomach needs to heal pretty well before the signals become more easy to understand. Its a learning process for sure...

I am just a little over a month out and just now am figuring this out! I was so afraid of overeating in the begining that I only took a couple bites of anything for fear of doing too much!

Just within the last couple days I have gotten brave and eaten the full amount my plan calls for. Right now it says to start with 1/4 c and if you feel like you can do more go to 1/2 c. Depeding on what I eat, I can get a little over 1/4 c and sometimes 1/2 c. But, when I start to feel full, my chest and troat grugle alot. Like a drain, almost like I am going to burp, but I don't! And, if I don't stop and eat another bite or two, I get a stuck feeling in my throat and sometimes it hurts. Almost like a pill is stuck there!

I believe for me, that is my full signal! I usually stop when I start to gurgle. I also get that when I drink too fast.

WEIRD! I think everyone's signals are different tho. What works for me, might not for you.

Good luck!

Kelly :)

I have been so paranoid too- and so wondering what MY sign would be. I have finally decided it is a certain kind of small burp- not every kind mind you, as I have been burping all the time since my surgery- and when I feel it I now know to stop- right then.

I found it out the hard way- the second day on purees/soft foods- when I had that burp and then ate one more bite of egg. Within half a minute I knew it had to come up and would come up...and it did. I only have had one more time since that I had one bite too many...and it did not come up but it definitely hurt and I felt crappy for a while.

I echo what you were told about not pushing to eat too much. My plan is that I can have 1/4 cup at every meal. I can divide it - 4T Protein, or 3T Protein and 1T veggie, or 2T protein, 1T veggie, 1T fruit or carb. I am not to have more than 1T of carbs/fruit no matter what, and not more than 1/4 cup total. And I find that 1/4 cup is what I can handle anyway. And once I can....well that is where my own commitment to maximizing this perod of weight loss comes in so I will err on the side of small quantities!

Good luck to you !

What a great converstation to have. Our sleeves are a miracle! Ha ha - not knowing when you are full.

Right now you will most likely have to measure everything. liquids you can get more in than dense chewable Protein, so a cup of solids does not equal a cup of liquid. If 1/2 cup makes you full, try eating more slowly as your meals should be consumed over a 20-30 minute period. Eat a bite, count to 20 and try again. Now I eat much more than I used to at two months out. I can tell you early on my signal was either slimy drooling (yuck) or hiccups. Over time you will recognize your signals but as all with our sleeve, this is a journey of discovery. Now (8 months out) my signal has changed and I sneeze. Really. At every meal I sneeze when I am full. Family meals are a joke and at the dinner table people will look at me and say "all done?" Crazy signal but I love my sleeve!

Best wishes on your adventure and learning about the new you!

I also had a hard time (sleeved 5/4) knowing if I was still hungry and sometimes still do. But, I have learned when I hiccup, that's my body's signal to stop!! Not another bite or I will regret it. I haven't found out exactly what would happen if I did take another bite............I learned from other's experience from this signal!!!

It's funny, but since I'm out almost 2 years now, I have learned to "eyeball" my portions. I'm at the point that if it's more then 1/2 - 1 cup I just can't do it. . . you will learn how to eyeball the portions, just measure for now. . and you will come to find out when your really done eating. just don't make it hurt, that is not pleasant. . . don't you start to slime? Good luck!

BOY!! I'VE BEEN FEELING THIS WAY TOO, NOT KNOWING FOR SURE WHAT THE SIGNAL IS AND I THINK LAST NIGHT I PUSHED MYSELF WAY TO FAR...I FELT SO SICK, FOR LIKE AN HOUR AFTER EATING IT WAS THE WORST FEELING EVER AND I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN!!! I FELT I WASNT EATING ENOUGH, SO I GOT THE REALLY GASSY FEELING AND SAID TO MYSELF A COUPLE MORE BITES AND I SHOULD BE GOOD...NOT TRUE!! I WAS MISERABLE!!! I WAS THINKING THIS GAS FEELING WASNT THE FULL FEELING BUT APPARTENTLY IT IS..LESSON LEARNED!!!

DON'T EAT UNTIL IT HURTS!!!!!

That is really bad for your new stomach. You should be eating about 1/4 cup and that's it. I ate about 1/4 cup of food, 6 times a day for the first couple of months. I am 3 monhs out and I know I eat a little more, but I don't really have to measure it any more. I eat about 5 bites of whatever and I am full. That's it. It isn't much, and it seems really weird compared to other people, but that's all we get. Some folks burp, some folks hiccup, I get a bubbly feeling and I know I'm full. Once you get used to the feeling, you will stop before you get uncomfortable. I know I had to measure my portions for the first couple of months becuase the full feeling didn't register until it was too late.

Buy small bowls that are 1/2 cup deep and fill them half way with your meal. It really helps!!

Please don't push your sleeve right now. You will be "healing" for up to 6 months. This is the time to ride the wave of super restriction and let the stomach heal itself.

Take care--

I'm about 7 months out and for the first 2-3 months I eye-measured amounts on the plate, but ususally got a signal before it was empty - a hic-up! I can eat slightly more now but still get the same signal from my sleeve; a hic-up which sort of puts the lid on! I can eat one or more two bites after that, but then I will start to feel sickly so I've learnt not to push it after the "lid is on" :-)