Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experienced Bandsters, what are your tricks of the trade?

Hi, All.

I was just banded on June 19th and already find myself asking questions like "how do I get my head around not eating another huge plate of food," which I know sounds silly. But, it feels like a sort of grief (and at the same time a really great relief, as odd as that sounds). So, I guess I'm wondering if those of you who have been banded for awhile can share your tricks of the trade, the things you've done and still do to help move you past old behaviors.

Thanks and Happy 4th!

Coco

Coco...

I don't bring stuff into the house that I know will tempt me - like ice cream. If I buy candy, it's a single little bag of M&Ms.

My biggest cheat was carbs, and now I simply can't eat a lot of them, such as pizza, bread, rice, potatoes, Pasta, etc. That has helped a LOT. If I could still eat bread, I know I would. Same for breaded foods, like fried chicken and fish. I have to be good in spite of myself.

With the band, after care is EVERYTHING. Get your fills when you need them and be patient. Until you achieve good restriction, the band won't help much.

I have lost 98 pounds in 19 months. My plan was 100 pounds in a year, so don't get discouraged if you fall a little bit short of your own expectations. It might take a little longer than you planned, but you will get there.

Coco...

I don't bring stuff into the house that I know will tempt me - like ice cream. If I buy candy, it's a single little bag of M&Ms.

This is exactly what I do.

I drink 1.5 to 2 ltrs of Water a day, and exercise daily. I count calories, however. I know people say "I had the band so I dont have to diet" but in all honesty, it was the only way in hell I could ever get the scale moving. I try to stay between 1200 - 1500 calories a day (I throw in a few more if I go for a run) and the scale moves. It is not as hard to calorie count post band, as it was pre banding. Provided I make good choices, I am usually under the 1500.

The biggest thing that works for me is mental attitude. I think it helps that attitudes are a bit different in Australia - we're not given all those rules about eating 1/2 to 1 cup, so many grams of Protein, etc, there's not the fashion for Protein first, any of that. Well there wasnt with my surgeon anyway. I got banded, i saw a dietician to make sure I knew what a healthy diet was and pretty much left to it.

So for me - I'm never ever going on another diet. That simple revelation has meant that I no longer feel I have to eat everything! No food is out, I can eat anything I want to within moderation, as long as most of the time what I eat is healthy. If I"m down the shops and I want the free cinnamon donut with my coffee (NOT humungously fattening Krispy Kremes type donuts!) I just have it and I dont think about it again. I dont count calories, I dont count anything.

Overall I eat way less and that's really ALL it comes down to in the end.

I also exercise - I run regularly, becuase I LOVE it. Again, I picked something I wanted to do, and am not forcing myself to do this that or the other because there's some magic formula for weightloss. So it takes no willpower to keep going becuase its basically something I do for fun.

I do use all the little tactics though - I dont stock the house full of fattening things becuase if they're there I will eat them.

Hi Coco!

We can have a big plate of food. It just might take a week to eat it! Seriously, I feel your pain as I am only 3 weeks out and finding the break-up with large quantities of food at times painful. These moments do pass. I've overeaten a bit at times, and it's never worth it--no PB yet, but darn uncomfortable!

I actually think some of the suffering is due to lower Seratonin (sp?) levels which are elevated by carbs--and also exercise. I'm anxious to get going on more strenuous exercise than walking--but we must heal first.

My new food is LBT.com. I love to cruise. I'm never disappointed and seem to read just the right info when I need it most.

Good luck!

I mourned food for a while. I think it lasted til I got good restriction. Food use to be my life. All I could think about was what will I eat next! Now, unless it's the fresh fruits & veggies that are in abundance right now, I don't even think about food. At least not the bad foods. Now conversations about eating go something like this - Lonnie: "What's for supper?" Me: "I don't know. What do you want?" Lonnie: " I don't know. What do you want?" Me: "I don't want anything. WHAT DO YOU WANT?!?" This is also the conversation that we have when we go out to eat. It's quite maddening sometimes. You will all get here. It just takes time. Food doesn't rule me anymore.

:D Ok, I am not even a week out yet and all I can think of is food:rolleyes ...any food! I'm not physically hungry...too much port pain for that:sick but I am thinking of the types of food I am going to make, where I am going to eat, etc. I thought it was positive at first but now I think I am getting a little obsessed.:heh: I have major mental hunger!!:help:

Like the others...I try not to bring the junk or "triggers" into my house. At least, if I REALLY want it, I have to work for it!

I log into fitday.com and log all of my calories. For me, it's hard to determine if I am chowing down or not. My perspective on how much I eat, hasn't always been correct....

Good luck. Shawn

I think most of us obsess about food for a few weeks. I watched food Network constantly and I am not the only one who has reported they developed a sudden interest in Emeril, Iron Chef and Giada! :D

Head hunger is something we all struggle with but it is SO much easier once you are on solid food.

The biggest difference for me was using a small saucer plate as a dinner plate. Even at restraunts I will ask for a smaller plate and "move" food as I need it. I have found that I eat MUCH smaller portions and I feel satisfied and full after "cleaning my saucer plate" rather than cleaning my big ol' dinner plate full of food!

In my experience, once I found proper restriction (1) my head hunger is GREATLY dulled, (2) I don't want to overeat because it's uncomfortable, and (3) I physically crave healthier foods than before.

This is just a function of having a band that is properly adjusted. That is the band doing ITS part. Do not worry that the band isn't doing its part for you yet. It won't until you've got proper restriction (for me, 3rd fill -- I didn't get ANY of the above until my 3rd fill).

Given that the band is doing its part, I'm doing my part as well. (1) I have a "no junk in the house/office" rule. I have to go out if I want ice cream, chocolate, etc. That way I eat a single serving and it's done. These cravings are almost nonexistent compared to pre-band. Pre-band, I would crave Mexican food DAILY and would almost always give in (like 9 days out of 10). Now I don't even think about junk food 9 days out of 10 and on the 1 day I think about it, I probably only give in one out of five times. (2) I plan well to make sure that when I do get hungry, I have delicious healthy choices on hand. That means making fresh veggies available even if I have to shop twice a week instead of once. (3) I track my calories and exercise on sparkpeople.com. I know that is not for everyone, but for me, it helps me be accountable to myself and, even more importantly, when I do eat something off the plan, it helps me to not feel guilty about the "damage" because I cut things out from elsewhere to stay within my calorie goals, even if it takes a day or two to make it up.

I love my band! Before, I couldn't do my part. The effort required was just insane. Now I feel like it's still an uphill battle, but I'm on a moving escalator, so it's worth the effort.

There are some good suggestions here. I am going to try eating on a smaller plate. My question is, do you ever feel guilty for not eating more? My favorite food in the world is steak. My parents owned a very nice steak house so I really appreciate a good steak. I felt awful last week when we had steak and I could only eat a small portion of it. It tasted so good, that I really wanted more even though I was stuffed. And, I felt guilty wasting so much of a perfectly good steak. I have this feeling with other foods too, and literally have to force myself away so I don't overeat and PB.

All,

Thanks so much for the wonderful tips!! I had ice cream in the house and am promptly throwing it away (not that there is much left. sigh). And, I've been using smaller plates already, but asking for them in restuarants is a great idea. Also, I'm super intrigued by the notion of fills. I can't tolerate that much food right now. I'm not sure if that's because of the swelling or if I already have som sort of restriction. In any event, more restriction is a little scary.

If other folks have additional tricks I'd love to hear them. I'm compiling a list. Maybe I should post it?

Thanks again, guys. And, have a great holiday!

Coco