Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice re. best surgeons/facilities--SoCal vs. Mexico

Hi. After some research, I'm basically sold on the procedure, but need some help narrowing down the best surgeons and facilities. I'm going to be a self-pay patient but price is not my priority. I want the best surgeon and team. I live in southern CA so am close to resources in Mexico, Orange County, San Diego, Palm Springs, or Los Angeles.

Who would you recommend and why?

I've read numerous recommendations for Dr. Ariel Ortiz, but the thought of Tijuana scares me to death. Many have said the facilities are top notch and the hotel is 5 star, but the photos don't look 5 star to me. 3 stars maybe with a big pool. I would never go anywhere near Tijuana for any purpose, so I cannot imagine having a medical procedure there. don't want to be blinded by college trips to the scummy bars on Revolucion, but quite honestly, I associate the city with filth, stench, crazy taxi drivers, poverty, panhandling, crime, preschoolers selling gum, etc.

Another option would be Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles, but I saw that their physicians have not done anywhere near as many Lap Bands as Dr. Ortiz. They've done tons of gastric bypass surgeries, but that is not what I want. The reviews are not as consistently glowing as those for Dr. Ortiz, but the aftercare program seems to be more structured.

Ideas? Thanks. Kelli

I did my research by finding the most experienced lapband doctors. The Mexico doctors had done far more then any doctors I had found in my state. (I'm from AZ.) I narrowed it down to Dr. Ortiz or Rumbaut & because Dr. Ortiz was a reasonable driving distance I went with him. To me, the experience was waaaay more important then the price. I loved Dr. Ortiz & would highly reccomend him. I had never been in Mexico until this surgery & was pleasantly surprised to find that all the horror stories where really just stories. At least, I never encountered anything scary at all!!

Good luck to you!

If it were me and just researching now with the knowledge that I have now. I would without a doubt use Dr. Helmuth Billy in Ventura, CA even if I was self pay.

He is an hour from Van Nuys, CA.

He is an excellent surgeon and has done many lapbands. He has thriving practice and was proctored by an Inamed approved surgeon. I have been going to him for the last year and a half and his personality and his professionalism is outstanding. I DO NOT work for him although I should. LOL!!!

He took care of several of my friends that had complications from their previous LapBand surgeries (He did not put in their bands). He takes on Mexico patients without question.

He is readily accessible day or night. He gives out his private number to use in cases of emergency. He has email that he gives out to his patients as well.

I can't give you prices on his self pay costs but I can give you his number if you are interested in calling to find out for yourself. Just mention my name when you call.

I went to Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta he has a website and a board to read......what a nice man he has a great team ... and a super clean hospital..I posted pics in the photo area of his website ...I chose him because my old PCP had him do hers because of his recomendations and our insurance we both have didn't cover Lap Bands....I was one of 4 that day and we all keep in touch and all are doing great

I love my physician, Dr. Quebbemann, in Newport Beach (right near the intersection of the 405, 55, and 73). He doesn't have the best "bedside manner" but that's not what I look for in a physician. He is very skilled and very competent and I have absolutely no complaints. The surgery also includes free aftercare (fills) for life.

The website is www.weightcontrolsurgery.com. Feel free to PM me as well if I can answer anything else.

Thanks for your feedback. I've looked at the NEW program, but hadn't heard of Dr. Billy. His reviews seem quite positive. Does anyone have any experiences with Dr. Carson Liu? I'm specifically interested in finding someone with expertise in the Lap-Band procedure with higher BMI patients, i.e., 50-ish.

Thanks again for any feedback. Kelli

I used Dr. Joya as well in Puerto Vallarta and was very happy with him. The cost was $8000 and that covers surgery, air fare & resort stay afterwards. You can click on the link below for my journal to see pics and to read my story if your interested, good luck!

Thanks for your feedback. I've looked at the NEW program, but hadn't heard of Dr. Billy. His reviews seem quite positive. Does anyone have any experiences with Dr. Carson Liu?

Hi Kelli; where are you located? If you're close to OC I'd be happy to meet with you and/or chat with you on the phone. Where is Dr. Liu? I did meet with one surgeon out of Long Beach that I was very unimpressed with but I can't remember his name.

Hello everyone, this is my very first time chating and being on this site. yesterday i view some very funny conversation and was laughing at some of the artistic belly pictures. Thank for the funnies. down to an important question Has anyone heard good or bad about Dr. Arturo Rodriguez in Monterrey Mexico? I planning on going to him for surgery soon. Thanks for your input.

Hello everyone, this is my very first time chating and being on this site. yesterday i view some very funny conversation and was laughing at some of the artistic belly pictures. Thank for the funnies. down to an important question Has anyone heard good or bad about Dr. Arturo Rodriguez in Monterrey Mexico? I planning on going to him for surgery soon. Thanks for your input.

Hello Snowflake!

I don't know if you've already had your surgery, but I'd be happy to talk to you if you'd like.

Tricia

hello, Im new to this site & Have scheduled my surgery inTJ, Mexico with Dr.Pedro Kuri does anyone know anything about him.

Thanks,

Russbud

Kelly,

I too was terrified of going to Tijuana, Mexico for surgery. But my niece had gone and swore by Dr. Kuri and his professionalism and the cleanliness of the hospital (de los Angeles I think). She is an ER RN and went with me so I felt comfortable. Dr. Kuri is such a professional and so clearly confident he even asked her to witness the surgery.

I am 60 years old, low BMI --but have healed admirably! I was banded June 5 (and would love to hear from any of my band-buddies.) I've lost 9 pounds slowly.

Bottom line: I am thrilled with the process, my progress, and the result. I'm going back down for my first fill next week. I actually had become satisfied with the way I looked and felt, but saw that it was NOT going to get easier with age. This way, I can more easily monitor my weight, my health.

Deb:)

hi everyone, thanks for the feed back. I appreciate the people that tried to reply to me. I have not had my surgery as of yet I have confirm and set my plane and surgery date and sent the money so I'm good as gone. Big day is Aug 19, 2006 wish me luck and prayer would be nice..

Thanks to all of you for the feedback... I made a consult appt with Dr. Carson Liu in west Los Angeles. I may also make an appt with Dr. Billy. I'm also still considering making an appt with Dr. Ortiz despite my trepidation re. Tijuana. I "can" pay $8500 or whatever in TJ and I "can" pay $25,000 here if I have to. My primary focus is wanting the best. I do wonder if I'm crazy to pay $25,000 here for a surgeon who has done 10% the number of surgeries as one in Mexico.

I'm eager to get started on this process and appreciating how supportive folks have been on the forum.

Best,

Kelli

Wanna Be Bandster - fall 06

Southern CA

Hi Gadget. Thanks for your reply. Dr. Liu is in west Los Angeles near Beverly Hills. I've heard mixed reviews re. Dr. Q.... though never anything negative re. his technical skill, more the bedside manner. Ultimately, I'm more interested in the experience/surgical skill, but some pragmatics would be helpful :) . I'm in Canyon Lake (Riverside county) about 25 miles south of Corona. So OC, LA, Mexico would all be easy in terms of the travel. I had a breast reduction/lift in LA 2 1/2 years ago and may be a bit spoiled in terms of a combo of skill/bedside manner. I LOVED my surgeon.

Best,

Kelli