Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which Michigan VSG surgeons are the best?

I live in MIchigan and have been researching MI VSG surgeons and would like to know which surgeon you would refer me to because of your past experience with them. I assume I would be a self-pay because I am approx 100 lbs over weight and have really only 1 comorbidity (arthritis in my knees) and a BMI of 35.6. Although if I truely looked at what is a comorbidity maybe I might have more. I have BCBS PPO. Any comments on Dr Pleatman out of Bloomfield Hills? Dr Zeni out of Livonia? Should I only look for Doctors that have or are associated with certain credentials? Help! I really don't want to go out of state.

I went to Pleatman and was happy with him. I could self-pay and drive there! So easy! Watch his YouTube video of the surgery. He made it look so easy and simple.

I also had Dr. Pleatman. My insurance company did not cover any bariatric surgery which I would have qualified for if it had. I am not loosing at a rapid rate but am very happy with my results so far. Not alot of pain, no nausea and my insisions are healing nicely with minimum scaring expected. Dr. Pleatman is straight and to the point. As far as I am concerned he is very good at what he does even if he doesn't have much of a sense of humor. There is also a doctor in the Muskegon area that charges the same price for cash pay Brian Gluck. Depends which side of the state you are on.

Have you checked out Hurley Bariatrirc Center in Flint? I have not had my surgery yet, but am in the process. People from all over Michigan are there. One thing that I learned with BCBS PPO is that you are going to need 6 consecutive months of supervised diet. This bit me in the butt as I a only had 5!

Good Luck

My cousin just had her surgery at Hurley in Flint and is doing fine. Although, I don't know who her surgeon was.

I would contact your insurance to find out for sure if you would be self pay or not. Every insurance policy is different - even from the same company. For example, I am going to be self-pay but that is because any type of weight loss regimen is specifically EXcluded from my BCBS PPOM policy. But several others on here have coverage for that benefit. They should be able to tell you without having to go through all of the formalities of submitting. That way you can find out what they cover, what they do not, and any requirements they may have before meeting with your surgeon.

I had surgery in Midland with BCBS Community Blue PPO and they covered me 100% without comorbidies..

I had surgery with Dr. Kerry Kole at St. John Providence Hospital in Madison Heights. I really like Dr. Kole and think that he saved me a lot of heart ache and pain by telling me not to get the lap band as I requested, but to look into the vertical sleeve. You can google Dr. Kerry Kole and look at his stats, they are not updated, but he has been doing bariatric surgeries for quite some time. I have BCBS PPO and I was approved in a couple of hours, I do have high blood pressure, but that is the only co-morbidity I had, so I agree with Nancy and would call your insurance company for specifics regarding your policy. I would also speak with the insurance consultant that works with whichever surgeon you choose. I have not had any complications and I am 5 months out, I absolutely love my sleeve.

I called my insurance company and asked them to mail me a copy of their weight loss surgery policy and took it with me to the consultation. It sure saved a lot of time and heartache :)

Dr. Wood, Madison Heights. A pioneer of bariatric surgery, good rates if you are self-pay and awesome support. Also, a Center of Excellence doctor. I traveled to Mich from Tenn to get the surgery. It was $10,500 total. Hospital and all. Very pleased and giving him rave reviews!!

Hi!

I went through the Barix Center in Ypsillanti - Dr. Nunn click on here for link: http://barixclinicsstore.com/dr_nunn.html He has 18 years experience, he is awesome!

The Barix Center only does WLS - so they are extremely focused on your every need - its all they do! I also have BCBS PPO and Barix took care of all my medical approval. I am severly overweight, no other problems. I have nothing but admiration towards Barix and Dr. Nunn.

Good luck with your choice..

I'm having surgery on June 6th with Dr. Zeni at St. Mary's hospital in Livonia. He came highly recommended by a friend of the family and I've heard nothing but great things about him. So far I'm impressed with their program. They have an extensive after-care program as well. I'm very comfortable with my decision and can't wait for my sleeve. I also have BCBS ppo and they're paying everything. They also had no hoops to jump through to get my surgery date. The whole thing has went very fast. I have a BMI of 48 and sleep apnea. Good luck whoever you choose.

I used Dr. Pleatman as did my wife and brother. He was efficient and we all got superior care from Doctor's Hospital. They were very attentive to our needs. Price very fair compared to many others.

I live in MIchigan and have been researching MI VSG surgeons and would like to know which surgeon you would refer me to because of your past experience with them. I assume I would be a self-pay because I am approx 100 lbs over weight and have really only 1 comorbidity (arthritis in my knees) and a BMI of 35.6. Although if I truely looked at what is a comorbidity maybe I might have more. I have BCBS PPO. Any comments on Dr Pleatman out of Bloomfield Hills? Dr Zeni out of Livonia? Should I only look for Doctors that have or are associated with certain credentials? Help! I really don't want to go out of state.

Doctor Carlin Henry Ford Hospital Detroit. I really liked the care i received in the hospital by the nursing staff. I am 4 days out and feel fantastic. i have no problems getting my fluids down either. Both Dr's Carlin and Genaw have been doing this a long time and i felt very comforted by their experience.

I also went to Barix in Ypsi. My surgeon was Dr Poplawski. LOVE HIM and his staff. They have been there for me every step of the way, they are available to me 24/7 and as To Be Thin said, they only do WLS so they all really know what their doing and they take care of teaching you everything you need to know to be successful and provide you with a nutritionist as well. I also had BCBS and they covered my surgery 100% thankfully but my BMI was alot higher than yours.