Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi-

I'm a chef- and I get to work at a place that is all about health food! biggrin.gif

Nearly three years ago- I volunteered for a program at work-

I spent 1 week in immersion, learning about health and nutrition- something that should have been taught or beat into us- from early on, and things with me, and for many- wouldn't be so bad.

I pretty much didn't think about health too much until I hit age 45, then I was sick and tired of being sick and tired-. nearly 300# since adulthood- Dr.'s wouldn't give me bad news- they tell me to take this pill or that... I listened... Well after going through the immersion program with Dr. Fuhrman (Eat to live) I decided to follow his recommendations- Two years and I lost a total of 45#.

I was on two different BP meds and a stomach acid reducer- after two years- of nearly vegan diet-

I stopped all meds. I have done WW and JC. and was down to 300# both times- so this third time- I was disappointed that I couldn't make it more.

last Oct. my wife decided to do the classes at Kaiser-14 weeks- and by Dec had RnY surgery.

she has lost 100#+ and doing great! and so I got a referral and joined up the 14 week class-

got in on overview and started the pre-op diet- by time I saw my surgeon- I was 20% down-

so he scheduled me for 8 weeks out-

I do have some low grade sleep apnea- waiting to deal with that.

I am now 48# down-

and two weeks away from pre-op classes-

I love to cycle and besides cooking, I like to make wine, drink too ohmy.gif.

and I live in Sonoma wine country.

Any one else here that has a mate that had WLS- as well?

Hope to chat with you-all about surgery, your achievements , what's on the horizon, and anything else...

Neil

Hi, welcome and congratulations! I don't have a spouse who needs WLS, he is actually the perfect weight, always has been! I think it's really great that you are both going to be healthy and happy!

Surgery Date: May 24th, 2011

are you excited? nervous?

I was fine, able to talk to my wife about anything, but then reading here... oh boy....

grits teeth- I want it in the end- however- that surgery part- starting over- trying to walk/eat... I asking, youy really want to do that?

blink.gif

big picture right?

Hi-

I'm a chef- and I get to work at a place that is all about health food! biggrin.gif

Nearly three years ago- I volunteered for a program at work-

I spent 1 week in immersion, learning about health and nutrition- something that should have been taught or beat into us- from early on, and things with me, and for many- wouldn't be so bad.

I pretty much didn't think about health too much until I hit age 45, then I was sick and tired of being sick and tired-. nearly 300# since adulthood- Dr.'s wouldn't give me bad news- they tell me to take this pill or that... I listened... Well after going through the immersion program with Dr. Fuhrman (Eat to live) I decided to follow his recommendations- Two years and I lost a total of 45#.

I was on two different BP meds and a stomach acid reducer- after two years- of nearly vegan diet-

I stopped all meds. I have done WW and JC. and was down to 300# both times- so this third time- I was disappointed that I couldn't make it more.

last Oct. my wife decided to do the classes at Kaiser-14 weeks- and by Dec had RnY surgery.

she has lost 100#+ and doing great! and so I got a referral and joined up the 14 week class-

got in on overview and started the pre-op diet- by time I saw my surgeon- I was 20% down-

so he scheduled me for 8 weeks out-

I do have some low grade sleep apnea- waiting to deal with that.

I am now 48# down-

and two weeks away from pre-op classes-

I love to cycle and besides cooking, I like to make wine, drink too ohmy.gif.

and I live in Sonoma wine country.

Any one else here that has a mate that had WLS- as well?

Hope to chat with you-all about surgery, your achievements , what's on the horizon, and anything else...

Neil

i Neil,

I'm Meggie and I live in Redwood City with my husband, 19 year old son, dog and three cats.

My husband can eat anything he wants! Myself....nope. I was always someone whose activity level tied in with my ability to lose and keep weight off. I had been overweight most of my teenage and early adult years but had gotten really fit once I found working out. When I hurt my back, had back surgery, followed by multiple falls, four surgeries, and a near invalid life the lack of activity translated to 120 pounds gained. I tried to lose but always gained it back. My doctor suggested weight loss surgery and I quickly went (in January) from - wtf? to - yes!!!!! I chose the sleeve quickly- it was an easy choice as I do not want my intestines re routed with no scoping of the stomach available- my mom just dies of a rare cancer at the opening from the stomach to the intestines. I also do not care for dumping !

I jumped through all the hoops as quickly as I could and had my surgery a week ago Monday. On day 10 I can say that though I still feel like a fresh surgical patient- especially as far as weakness- I am excited I have the sleeve and ready to move forward with this new way of living as son as they let me actually have some food! RIght now I am on thin liquids and Protein drinks. Not terrible inspiring!

My family is on this journey with me and I keep expecting my husband to lose a lot of weight as he forgets to make meals for himself while lovingly caring for me. However he is a major snacker and he still has kept his self happy ;-P.

Swizzly, a great member here who was sleeved in EUrpe (Switzerland I think) coined the word "thumby" for our thumb sized tummys and I love using that.

Good to have you here! We are thinking of putting together a No CA recent sleevers meeting eventually- maybe in the summer and we'd love to have you and your wife come. There are some things we can share that regular peeps just do not get.

Meggie-

Thanks for the warm welcome- coffee.gif (decaf)

I look forward to chattin more about this journey,

It's gonna be different- between my work and my hobby- I'm not sure about the longingevity of both...

somehow i need to grasp being able to work but not eat / taste.

and make wine with out drinking... (gasp) yea- Hmm-

well- I just keep thinking- if you keep doing what your doing- you'll get what you get...

I want change... and sooooo - I guess I need more friends that drink. cause I made a lot of wine tongue.gif

at least I can cycle still. maybe even more- angel.gif

Hi Neil!

I was sleeved on 4/27/11. My hubby is next in line. He is about 350ish pounds. He has gained about 100+ pounds since he met me 14 years ago and his doc wanted to know what happened and said "I married the carb queen" He jokes with the people in my surgeons office and says " Yeah she's the guinne pig, if she makes it through then I'm next" LOL We have a 13 year old boy and while it would have been cool for both of us to go through it together, it would not have been realistic. But knowing what I know now, I will be able to help him through the whole process. And I can't wait to show him the support that he has so lovingly showed me.

I think we are all scared, nervous, and excited all at once. When you look at the big picture as you say, it is all worth it in the end.

Good Luck!

Hi Neil. Congratulations on your decision! I'm single, but the couples at my WLS support group seem to be very successful. It's like they have a support group at home! My practice is always talking about the importance of support to long-term success, so I would think having a spouse who has also had the surgery will make a tremendous difference.

Question--are you going to stay vegan after your surgery? If so, will you mostly use soy Protein? Seems like most of the liquid Protein products are whey/milk based, though once you're back to solids there are tons of soy-based products.

I was sleeved just over a week ago, and haven't felt this hopeful in YEARS. Best of luck to you!!! :)

shannon-

I'm not vegan now- I went off as soon as I decided on the pre-op diet...

3/4/3 proteins- all animal meats...

I still eat my greens- just no rice/pasta - still need to kick the tortilla addiction...

This week I am going to work on more mindful eating and smaller portions.

Graduations in family- celebrations are evil!