Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obviously new at this, I'm just wondering if what I'm feeling is normal. I was sleeved on May 13th. I had violent reactions to the pain medicines and threw up for 2 days straight with no relief from the nursing staff with a doctor that never came to see me during this time. I'm home now but I have the loudest stomach growling. I thought i wouldn't feel hunger anymore, but it's worse than any hunger I felt before. It's not head hunger either, it is LOUD GROWLING HUNGER even while I'm trying to feed it. Will this go away? Now have developed diarrhea that isn't pleasant. Also have break out in a sweat, heart starts pounding if I"m too active. I realize I'm only 5 days out but I wasn't counting on this!

Any words of encouragement or advice is greatly appreciated!

Please tell me it'll all go away soon... :o)

Hello--

Yes, the first couple of weeks is all about learning and healing :-)

First, the growling / bubbling is not hunger. Are you on an acid reducer? Your doctor should have prescribed a dissolvable or crushable acid reducer for you to take every day - it really helps!!! Also, your stomach is going to make a lot of noise for a few weeks. I remember the bubbling while I was drinking Water (or anything else) in the beginning. The noisy tummy will get better over time, but mine will still make odd noises at 2 months out.

The diarrhea should get better - it may be because of all the sweteners in the sugar free products. I had brief diarrhea when I got home from the hospital, but it went away.

All things are better after the 3 week mark---

Lara

Same here I had diarrhea for awhile (I started at the hospital) and my stomach was making the weirdest noises. I got a prescription for Nexium from the surgeon and I still am on it, I don't think I could do without it, so far.

It really isn't hunger, it's "just" this weir weird thing that your new stomach does. Let it heal, the poor thing was under a lot of stress!

Things do get better, the first days/weeks are the worse, but you will get better.

Hi first of all, congrats on your new surgery!!!

Lots of folks go through turbulent times in the very beginning. Though I don't hear about as violent nausea as you had, I am thankful to know you were in the hospital at the time. :)

Also, it sounds like as Rev suggested, you're having some acid issues. You might want to ask your surgeon about this. You can find lots of choices over the counter to help with this. The acid will mask itself into hunger. I believe once this is corrected your hunger will subside for the most part. But first, please consult your Dr. first!!

One last thing, I'm 8 months out and my sleeve still gurgles. It was doing it yesterday while talking to some co-workers. I just had to point it out because I knew they could hear it... it was actually pretty funny. :-D

He did not give me an acid reducer. It feel like hunger....it is as real as any hunger pains I ever had before. I hope it passes. I read that I should try a Gaviscon - do you think that will help?

Hello--

Yes, the first couple of weeks is all about learning and healing :-)

First, the growling / bubbling is not hunger. Are you on an acid reducer? Your doctor should have prescribed a dissolvable or crushable acid reducer for you to take every day - it really helps!!! Also, your stomach is going to make a lot of noise for a few weeks. I remember the bubbling while I was drinking Water (or anything else) in the beginning. The noisy tummy will get better over time, but mine will still make odd noises at 2 months out.

The diarrhea should get better - it may be because of all the sweteners in the sugar free products. I had brief diarrhea when I got home from the hospital, but it went away.

All things are better after the 3 week mark---

Lara

Obviously new at this, I'm just wondering if what I'm feeling is normal. I was sleeved on May 13th. I had violent reactions to the pain medicines and threw up for 2 days straight with no relief from the nursing staff with a doctor that never came to see me during this time. I'm home now but I have the loudest stomach growling. I thought i wouldn't feel hunger anymore, but it's worse than any hunger I felt before. It's not head hunger either, it is LOUD GROWLING HUNGER even while I'm trying to feed it. Will this go away? Now have developed diarrhea that isn't pleasant. Also have break out in a sweat, heart starts pounding if I"m too active. I realize I'm only 5 days out but I wasn't counting on this!

Any words of encouragement or advice is greatly appreciated!

Please tell me it'll all go away soon... :o)

Bless your heart. . . I understand your concern and well yeah it does go away eventually, or you just get used to it. . . I'm out now about 2 years and still have the growlies and the hunger has always been there. . I was one of the unfortunates that the hunger never went away. . . so I learned to deal with it by using the restriction to the best of my ability. The diarrhea goes away and that is good. . .you'll be ok, you'll probably not like the sleeve too much for a while, but then after you get used to what to do, it'll be ok. . . this is a learning stage and you'll do fine. . just follow the doctors advice and don't stray. . . good luck!

Hang in there. I was sleeved on May 9th. It really does get better soon. Day 5 was a definite turning point for me. And now, on glorious Day 8, I feel almost normal. I too have the hunger pains and not just head hunger. I have found it is best to drink through them. I hope they will soon go away.

Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon.

:)Congrats on getting sleeved and thanks for sharing your issues, lets us newbie's know what we have in store for us.

Can I just say again what beautiful people you all are, I have never seen such a wonderful supportive community as this....Just sayin

OMG. I almost thought I had typed this in my sleep. I am a 8 days post op. I had surgery May 10. Woke up in Recovery, pain was managed. Less than an hour later finds me in my room and in pain, with the Dr. having the one pain med I am allergic to on order. So I refuse it. Took them over two more hours to contact him. They put me on Dialaudid. After every IV injection, I threw it up. They did this for 24 hours before putting me on good old Percocet. Had to stay an extra day.

Got home, my stomach is quite loud. I attribute that to the bowels moving around and nothing much in them due to the liquid only diet. I haven't had the feeling really hungry, unless I am late getting my "meal". The diarrhea that I have has gone from liquid to petrified wood looking. Weird to say, I know. However, my theory is that once we are able to eat pureed foods, and actually get something into our stomach, our stools will settle. I have also finally felt like doing something yesterday, everything was going fine, then boom. NO ENERGY. Sweats. Have NO IDEA how I will end up feeling before my job interview tomorrow.

Please let me know how you are feeling as the days progress. Where are you located? What type of diet schedule are you on? I am having trouble getting everything in me.

I'm so sorry for everyone who has trouble with the pain meds! My doctor gave me an anti-nausea medication with every dose of either moriphine or liquid lortab--God bless him! Also, I received an anti-spasmodic while I was in the hospital, which settles down your stomach a bit. Now that I'm home (had surgery May 11th), I'm still on the liquid lortab (don't need quite as much though), the anti-nausea med, and am taking dicyclomine ("Bentyl") for digestive spasms (a drug I've taken for years for IBS). I read somewhere to try Gas-X strips, and those have helped with my rumbling tummy a bit, too.

I had surgery in a hospital that does a high volume of batriatric surgery, and at least one nurse I had for two nights in a row had gastric bypass about 5-6 years ago. She was a real Godsend. She gave me lots of tips and suggestions and was incredibly sympathetic. Even the young skinny nurses were very supportive & did their very best to get me relief from my pain and discomfort.

Congrads, on the surgery. It will get better I promise you. When I got home they gave liquid tyneol w/ cod. Low and beyond I was allegric to it. I had to take bendryl to counter act the medicine. The bowel problems goes away after few days. I am on my second day back to work and exhausted. The only problem I am having is when I eat I get gas pains other than that I am not hungry and I have to set my alarm to remind me to eat. I wish the best of luck to you in your recovery.

Sorry your feeling so poorly, You will feel better in no time. Yes, take it from those that have been through it, the gurgling hunger is stomach acid. Get your Doc to recommend a PPI. It will make you feel lots better. Also, the hunger hormone is still in your system, even if you are one of us that feels some hunger, when the hormone is lower, you wont feel as much hunger as you used to. Take care.

HI,

I had surgery May 13 and I am on pureed foods right now. I am not sure everything is correct with my surgery. I really want to eat and I have no real trouble eating. I eat smaller amounts but I think if I wanted to I could eat more. I just don't. The hunger never goes away. I'm not sure if I could call my doctor and say I think something is wrong or what I should do. I'm not sure if the vomiting could have stretched the stomach or done something to my stomach.

The diarrhea is gone finally but the hunger pains - still here, loud - wake me up out of my sleep painful. Still confused and not sure what to do.

I'm in Texas. Are things better for you now?

OMG. I almost thought I had typed this in my sleep. I am a 8 days post op. I had surgery May 10. Woke up in Recovery, pain was managed. Less than an hour later finds me in my room and in pain, with the Dr. having the one pain med I am allergic to on order. So I refuse it. Took them over two more hours to contact him. They put me on Dialaudid. After every IV injection, I threw it up. They did this for 24 hours before putting me on good old Percocet. Had to stay an extra day.

Got home, my stomach is quite loud. I attribute that to the bowels moving around and nothing much in them due to the liquid only diet. I haven't had the feeling really hungry, unless I am late getting my "meal". The diarrhea that I have has gone from liquid to petrified wood looking. Weird to say, I know. However, my theory is that once we are able to eat pureed foods, and actually get something into our stomach, our stools will settle. I have also finally felt like doing something yesterday, everything was going fine, then boom. NO ENERGY. Sweats. Have NO IDEA how I will end up feeling before my job interview tomorrow.

Please let me know how you are feeling as the days progress. Where are you located? What type of diet schedule are you on? I am having trouble getting everything in me.

HI,

I had surgery May 13 and I am on pureed foods right now. I am not sure everything is correct with my surgery. I really want to eat and I have no real trouble eating. I eat smaller amounts but I think if I wanted to I could eat more. I just don't. The hunger never goes away. I'm not sure if I could call my doctor and say I think something is wrong or what I should do. I'm not sure if the vomiting could have stretched the stomach or done something to my stomach.

The diarrhea is gone finally but the hunger pains - still here, loud - wake me up out of my sleep painful. Still confused and not sure what to do.

I'm in Texas. Are things better for you now?

That hunger may well be stomach acid. Are you taking a PPI? Read up here, there are lots of posts on it.