Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is. Dr. Aceves really THAT great?

Thanks Suzanne. Appreciate that you understand we all have choices. So important we question our surgeons on hows & whys & be aware of most up to date proven techniques/options available for Vertical Sleeve surgery.

Since I didn't stay in a US hospital, rates of infection did not concern me. But by going home that night you could say my infection rate was ZERO since I didn't get an infection.

Curious, Googled worlds top ranked weight loss surgeons and NOTHING came up. How do you come up with Aceves being in top 25 in world? Understand I am not saying he isn't...one of my SoCal buddies was happy with her experience, but I want facts, not just statements. (My career is showing)

Need you provide a link to independent (not published by hospital or surgery center Aceves is associated with in any way) national articles/news reports (as I sited three sources above) that lists Aceves being top 25 in world as stated. Yes, I trust you, but verify your information so others here have content not just opinions. So many surgeons bio's state how they are weight loss pioneers...but do we as patients ever question how they are the best...the top.

Throwing out statistics without facts is unacceptable. Please back up statements with sources or state that your statements are opinions...not facts. It is acceptable to say your surgeon is best in your opinion. I like that you are proud. I am proud of your results and help to others.

Can you provide any other links from outside sources that list Aceves as pioneer? (as I sited with my surgeon) What ongoing education does he take to improve his skills or is he stagnate and not up on latest VSG techniques?

I self paid for my surgery, insurance did not cover it.

Outpatient surgery is not for those who have no support. As you can see by the video, lady in video is mid-50's, not that much younger than you and she had an amazing recovery as you view her 2 days after VSG. For people researching WLS they need to understand that many surgeons, not just mine, are doing outpatient surgery with same results as seen in nationally televised show about VSG surgery.

Me too. I would recommend my surgeon...if you can get an appointment. Many people here have had success with his partner though.

Looking forward to reading all of the outside articles, outside ratings & medical research firms who seek out Aceves advice. Thanks in advance to for all of your time!

Hugs - I love my sleeve and have no regrets.

If you will look on his Web Page you will see that he Proctors for Johnson & Johnson teaching other surgeons how to do "Sleeve weight Loss Surgery." I found out that he was listed in Newsweek Magazine May 2012 in the top 25 WLS doctors. I like you asked many questions, about what kind of staples they used, what were the brand of staples he used. How did he do the surgery--I wanted details, which he gladly gave me, what did he do as far as testing for leaks before they send you home. He tested me 3 times before I was released and sent home. He spent about 2 hours answering all my questions the night before I had the surgery. I spoke with a surgical nurse who had gone to Dr. Aceves and respected her information along with a doctor who had gone to him for sleeve surgery. Yes, I talked with them on the phone more than one time. They were very patient with me and ALL my questions. I went to my own PCP, who spent a week educating herself about the procedure and checked out ALL of Dr. Aceves credentials and they ALL met her approval and she said "go for it" he is the top of the line in his business.

This is his Web page: http://www.gastricsleevesurgeon.com/

I am so very happy that you had great success too and love your sleeve. I wish you nothing but great success.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne;

I only see a link to Dr. Aceves website...and I am seeking outside sources. Went to Newsweek to see if I could read article. None listed, can you send a link to article you state is listing Aceves in top 25? Not seeing any facts here. Did a search on Newsweek with Aceves name and came up blank. Also I went to Johnson & Johnson website and did a search on Aceves, again came up blank. Could these be ads on his website?

Again, all I am asking for is independent sources which haven't been provided. Simply going to a surgeons website does not substantiate any of your claims. Please back up your claims and provide links as I did.

My surgeon has companies write about him on their website, national media sources contact him for interviews/demos about new WL procedures, and major medical companies seek his advice. Also I provided links that prove my surgeons pioneer status along with his expertise as being the first US surgeon on three different weight loss surgeries. Now that is impressive. Find another WL surgeon in the US or world that has these credentials. Go ahead. See I really did my research, extensive research. There is no one, US or Mexico that can match him. But this is not about my surgeon vs. your surgeon because you and I are both winners (or losers.) YEAH

Where is all of the independent support of significance for Aceves? There is none. Sounds like unsubstantiated advertising or marketing junk. Not denying that he does a lot, but higher quantity does not equal higher standards or expertise.

Hugs for you too! No regrets, I love my sleeve.

I take offense to the statement that drs here in tbe us,dont care,or dont spend time with their patients. I love my surgeon. I spent one nite in the hospital,so roughly 24 Hrs. He came and saw me twice,and had all kinds of nurses checking up on me. A very positive experience. Before my surgery I had a concern on a Saturday,called his service,he git back to me within 20 min,even talked to the office mgr on a sat.

I considered him, but in the end he's not the only surgeon in Mexico with a ton of experience, good outcomes, good reviews, and who uses a hospital. The posts here make it sound like all other surgeons in Mexico do it in a strip mall. I chose Dr ponce de leon after reading many positive reviews on him too. I was not looking for a bargain bin doctor, I take my health every bit as seriously as someone else, but I just didn't feel that Dr Aceves was worth 3000$ more. I would gladly pay the extra money if I felt it was warranted, but I'd also gladly save the money and put it aside towards a panniculectomy or something else that I'll need in the future :)

Oh and if money was not an issue I probably would have picked Michel Gagner here in Montreal and saved myself the travel.

I considered him' date=' but in the end he's not the only surgeon in Mexico with a ton of experience, good outcomes, good reviews, and who uses a hospital. The posts here make it sound like all other surgeons in Mexico do it in a strip mall. I chose Dr Ponce de leon after reading many positive reviews on him too. I was not looking for a bargain bin doctor, I take my health every bit as seriously as someone else, but I just didn't feel that Dr Aceves was worth 3000 more. I would gladly pay the extra money if I felt it was warranted, but I'd also gladly save the money and put it aside towards a panniculectomy or something else that I'll need in the future :)[/quote']

Sounds like you got into my head.

Hi Suzanne;

Know you are a busy lady but several of us on this board are still waiting for you back up your claims or I am requesting you to retract your statements about Dr. Aceves in this and other posts. If you are unable to verify independently then take back what you have written.

Respectfully I ask that you please refrain from future posts until you have provided backup proof to your claims. I have stayed silent long enough on posts with false claims which in reality are marketing ads for Dr. Aceves. J&J does create staples as you stated but nothing on web site about Aceves, rather another surgeon. In another post you offended a VST user suggesting her surgeon was subpar since he was less cost than Aceves, implying her surgeon was using non J&J staples. I question why J&J would sponsor him to have other surgeons watch him?

Still unable to find Aceves name in Newsweek or a copy showing him on cover. One post by another VST poster states this article was in Nov 2011. Hmmm. When I search online I see his picture (via a thumbnail only ) shwoing him on the Cover of Newsweek but it you look closely it is the same picture of him on his website...just imposed over Newsweek. When you open link, nothing. Send me a link with him on cover of Newsweek as Aceves displays...which I believe is just advertising. Hmmmm. Newsweek lists nothing about him directly that I can find with a simple Google/Bing search. Maybe my search skills need upgrading.

Lastly - his book that is advertised on this site is a self published book. Amazon does not even carry it. Hey, I could write a book on VSG but that does not elevate my credentials. What does this say if no publisher reviewed content or offered to back it?

Please provide at least three independent sources backing up claim of "world top surgeon" from Newsweek directly, J&J using him as teaching doctor (a link on J&J website would be nice) & his book being a book a non-independent book (a link to Amazon or B&N would suffice). Willing to be a believer of your opinions/claims if you can provide links outside of Aceves website.

Your claims are only opinions without legitimate documentation. Additionally they are misleading and inaccurate. Worse you are providing a false sense of security to those seeking a WLS.

Thanks! Looking forward to reading information soon.

I can say that I did buy his book, but there was no more information in the book than what you can find online for free from other bariatric hospitals. It wasn't a bad book, but it was short and I didn't really learn anything new from reading it.

I was sleeved by Dr Aceves in August. Not sure about the Newsweek listings as it seems many surgeons use the reference sort of like being in the top 100 high school seniors or those lists. I can confirm that he is a Procter because I was introduced to the five additional surgeons that would be observing my procedure and follow up. Quite an entourage for room visits. Highly recommend him and totally worth it for me.

I bought the 4/14/12 Newsweek issue on Amazon just to see if it was true and will post the pics here. Also, I don't believe Dr Aceves has written a book about VSG but Dr G Alvarez has. Please note: I'm not posting these to stir up controversy but just to show that the Newsweek does exist. How these surgeons are selected is not explained.

Although Dr Aceves was my surgeon and I recommend him 100% to anyone, I also respect other people's opinions and believet there are other surgeons just as capable and experienced as he is.

post-35587-13813660422951_thumb.jpg

post-35587-13813660423801_thumb.jpg

I bought the 4/14/12 Newsweek issue on Amazon just to see if it was true and will post the pics here. Also' date=' I don't believe Dr Aceves has written a book about VSG but Dr G Alvarez has. Please note: I'm not posting these to stir up controversy but just to show that the Newsweek does exist. How these surgeons are selected is not explained.

Although Dr Aceves was my surgeon and I recommend him 100% to anyone, I also respect other people's opinions and believet there are other surgeons just as capable and experienced as he is.[/quote']

Interesting! Do you have a list of the other 20 or so Drs from this list?

Interesting! Do you have a list of the other 20 or so Drs from this list?

It was only this page. I would have posted pics if there was more than one. Personally, I happen to know one of the surgeons and I wouldn't trust him to operate on a bug much less my stomach, so I kinda question the selection process. Don't ask which one, I won't say. Many people here have used him and had good results.

To any that dismiss or look down on those that choose a lower cost surgeon because their health was work the price- just think, its the same way many Americans think about you going to MX at all to have surgery instead of paying extra in the good old USA.

Remember, cost don't equal quality.

Hi Suzanne;

I only see a link to Dr. Aceves website...and I am seeking outside sources. Went to Newsweek to see if I could read article. None listed' date=' can you send a link to article you state is listing Aceves in top 25? Not seeing any facts here. Did a search on Newsweek with Aceves name and came up blank. Also I went to Johnson & Johnson website and did a search on Aceves, again came up blank. Could these be ads on his website?

Again, all I am asking for is independent sources which haven't been provided. Simply going to a surgeons website does not substantiate any of your claims. Please back up your claims and provide links as I did.

My surgeon has companies write about him on their website, national media sources contact him for interviews/demos about new WL procedures, and major medical companies seek his advice. Also I provided links that prove my surgeons pioneer status along with his expertise as being the first US surgeon on three different weight loss surgeries. Now that is impressive. Find another WL surgeon in the US or world that has these credentials. Go ahead. See I really did my research, extensive research. There is no one, US or Mexico that can match him. But this is not about my surgeon vs. your surgeon because you and I are both winners (or losers.) YEAH

Where is all of the independent support of significance for Aceves? There is none. Sounds like unsubstantiated advertising or marketing junk. Not denying that he does a lot, but higher quantity does not equal higher standards or expertise.

Hugs for you too! No regrets, I love my sleeve.[/quote']

ENGL 1301, learning how to research, know the difference between independent and sponsored websites. My professor even had us learn the difference between .com, .org and .gov. Its been yrs but thank you for the reminder. I still got a lot of my writing and English books from college. I'm going to get them out for a refresher course to help me research the best doc for me.

Hi,

I have NEVER said that they are not other Doctors out there who are not good. I am speaking from my experience only. I want you to check out your doctor and and find out all the things I brought up. I am NOT retracing anything I have said. As you can see people have found that Dr. Aceves is listed in the Newsweek Magazine April 2012 and they purchased it from Amazon.com.

I can only speak from my experience. As one patient said she personally met, other doctors that Dr. Aceves was Proctoring--teaching them his style and how he does Sleeve Weight Loss Surgery. Johnson & Johnson-The Mexican Division of Johnson & Johnson is paying Dr. Aceves to do this for them. They respect his ability and feel that he has something to share with other doctors. It says a lot about him, that he is willing to teach other doctors how he does his surgery.

Enough said, I know there are other doctors in Mexico, and I am happy for you that you are just as pleased with your doctor as I am. I just want people to watch out for the ones who are not so good and question where you are doing your recovery from.

Take care,

Suzanne