Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is. Dr. Aceves really THAT great?

I have to chime in here, I've researched many many Drs here in the US and most are less qualified than Dr. Aceves. I live in Las Vegas (can you say WORST healthcare in the nation? A nurse at a local hospital told me that!) and wouldn't trust a surgeon here with my stomach or my life. I'm going to Dr. Aceves. Yes, he's more money, yes it'll take me more time to get it or save it but I know I'll be in the best hands possible, Mexico, United States or Jupiter, he's the best I've found. The only other Drs I was looking into were Ungston and Joya.

I have to chime in here, I've researched many many Drs here in the US and most are less qualified than Dr. Aceves. I live in Las Vegas (can you say WORST health care in the nation? A nurse at a local hospital told me that!) and wouldn't trust a surgeon here with my stomach or my life. I'm going to Dr. Aceves. Yes, he's more money, yes it'll take me more time to get it or save it but I know I'll be in the best hands possible, Mexico, United States or Jupiter, he's the best I've found. The only other Drs I was looking into were Ungston and Joya.

Yeah, Yeah! Someone who has heard what I have been saying for such a long time. The doctors here in the US DO NOT have the experience that Dr. Aceves does. And on top of that they send you home after surgery 1 or 2 days. This is substandard health care. For them it is about the number of people they can get in and out of their hospital. It is ALL ABOUT the MONEY.

I never ever felt this way when I was in Mexico with Dr. Aceves. He will test your new stomach and keep you under his care for 3 or 4 days to make sure you are going to be healthy and that it all works. This is ALL included in his fee--your surgery and hospital and meds and any tests you many need. It is not always this way in the US by the time you pay for the doctor and hospital and medication it cost more than your thing. When you have nurses who are going to Mexico and to Dr. Aceves that does shout at me big time. They know better than any of us about the quality of care that you are NOT getting when it comes to sleeve surgery in the USA.

So CONGRATULATIONS to you--I am there for you. I know it will take longer to save up and you will never regret it. For some of you what is more important--for me is was the REST of my life and the quality of care I was going to have after having Dr. Aceves did my Sleeve surgery .

If you are having someone other that Dr. Aceves--do you want the best or are you just looking for the best PRICE??????

Take care and please stay in touch!

Hugs,

Suzanne

Thanks, everyone! You are definitely right; my health is important and I want to see someone in whose abilities I feel confident. He really does seem exceptional. Thanks again!

Hi,

Good for you for knowing this. I always want someone to make their own choice, but when I have been where you are and know how the quality of my life has changed and what great Health Care I received in Mexico from Dr, Aceves, I can't help but jump in and say what I know to be true. Dr. Aceves is truly the best you will find any place. It took me 6 months to make up my mind, about what kind of surgery and who I wanted to do it--I talked to a lot of people including a nurse that I worked with who had been to him for her WLS. So I do have some experience with this.

If I can help or answer any of your questions please ask away. I am like a open book.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I think everyone has made the decision for whom they wanted to go see by one factor or multiple factors. Some go by price others by experience and others by the doctors personal complication rate. Price was my first factor in not having my sleeve surgery in Canada (cost upwards of 20,000 out of pocket Nooo thank you). After I narrowed my search down to Mexico I did my research on all of the doctors I hear good things about and for ME I went with the one whom had no leaks and many people raved about him.

Ultimately you should make your decision on what you believe is best for you. I can say Dr Aceves is worth every penny you spend but it is still your decision on whom you want to perform the surgery. There are many talented surgeons out there as you can see by all the testimonies posted on the different sites. You will make the best decision for you.

Hi,

Thanks for your remarks. I am right there with you. The cost of a sleeve here in the US was about $20,000 and NO one had the experience that Dr. Aceves had. So he was my choice.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I'm having my done in Dallas at TLC Edge, for $9990. Its not that much more than Aceves, and I get to stay in the states.

I'm having my done in Dallas at TLC Edge, for $9990. Its not that much more than Aceves, and I get to stay in the states.

Hi

Congratulations to you for having WLS. I must say I used to think like you do about being able to stay in the US--UNTIL I did a litttle research and found out that most hospitals infection rate is so much greater than Dr. Aceves's hospital. You are running the risk of an infection any time you go to a hospital or have surgery. I also know that they only keep your for 1 or at the most 2 days in the US hospital and send you home.

This does not happen with Dr. Aceves. And he tests your new stomach 3 times before he will release you to go home. He hasmore experience and has done more WLS than and US doctor. Being in Mexicali and having doctor Aceves do my surgery was 10 times better than any kind of care or service I have EVER received from any US doctor. I saw 2 doctors 3 times a day while I was there. When was the last time you saw 2 doctors 3 times a day in any US hospital? I have never received that kind of care from any US doctor. They just don't have the time and I understand that.

I know you are going to do just fine and everything is going to be good for you, but I can speak about being in Mexico and having Doctor Aceves and that is something you have no knowledge about. :rolleyes:

Suzanne

well what I DO have knowledge about is that I need to have my surgery close to home due to having small children, at a reputable hospital, great surgeon, with very little travel costs. That is what I do know, and that is whats best for me. And I have nothing at all against Dr. Aceves. If I lived in Southern California, thats who I would use.

I have small children and as far as a reputable hospital, and a great surgeon that's Dr Aceves and the hospital he practices in. I didn't find ANY surgeon in the US who had done as many sleeves as Dr A and certainly none with the low rate of complications. You do get much better care in Mexico. Having done 3 years in nursing school and one in clincals the US hospitals don't hold a candle to what you recieve from Dr A's team. My children are one reason I went to him, I knew I couldn't waste the time on a complication. There are several Surgeons who practice in Cali and Texas. The one I spoke with when I was searching in Tx said their prices are low because they have to compete with the prices in Mexico. What I found out is none could compete with the experience and complication rate.

well what I DO have knowledge about is that I need to have my surgery close to home due to having small children, at a reputable hospital, great surgeon, with very little travel costs. That is what I do know, and that is whats best for me. And I have nothing at all against Dr. Aceves. If I lived in Southern California, thats who I would use.

Hi,

I do understand all your reasons why you are having your surgery where you are.

I wish you great success.

Suzanne

I have small children and as far as a reputable hospital, and a great surgeon that's Dr Aceves and the hospital he practices in. I didn't find ANY surgeon in the US who had done as many sleeves as Dr A and certainly none with the low rate of complications. You do get much better care in Mexico. Having done 3 years in nursing school and one in clinical the US hospitals don't hold a candle to what you receive from Dr A's team. My children are one reason I went to him, I knew I couldn't waste the time on a complication. There are several Surgeons who practice in Cali and Texas. The one I spoke with when I was searching in TX said their prices are low because they have to compete with the prices in Mexico. What I found out is none could compete with the experience and complication rate.

Hi,

Thanks for what you said. I agree you have to do what is best for you. And you and I did pick what was best for us. I have always thought that Dr. Aceves was the one who had the best statics of any surgeon that I checked out.

Hugs,

Suzanne

If you don't mind me asking...How much is the sleeve with Dr. Aceves? I am self pay and eager to set my date!!

$8750 all inclusive minus flights to and from San Diego, if necessary. It includes one night in a hotel near the hospital and a three night stay in the hospital plus traveling to and from the airport. Good luck on your decision! I chose Aceves and am getting sleeved in 13 days:):):)

The doctors here in the US DO NOT have the experience that Dr. Aceves does. And on top of that they send you home after surgery 1 or 2 days. This is substandard health care. For them it is about the number of people they can get in and out of their hospital. It is ALL ABOUT the MONEY.

I am not going to be popular here...because most of you are Dr. Aceves patients. Well here i go putting a target on my back. I really struggle to post this fearing attacks. I am not attacking you, only correctly incorrect statements.

Sure he is a good surgeon and qualified. But statements made above are totally false. Tired of being told what is substandard when you misunderstand practices for VSG and only accept how Dr Aceves does surgery. So glad you are happy with choices available for you...that is why we are all so fortunate.

VSG can be done as outpatient surgery and it is not barbaric nor substandard in any form. Many US surgeons now practice VSG as outpatient surgery. Most surgeons and hospitals make more money if you stay in the hospital, not if surgeons/hospitals discharge you same day.

IF hospitals are in it for money, they want to keep you in hospital longer in increase bill...at least in the US.

I post my surgeons records so you do not call him barbaric or inexperienced. Also so you do not question his proven methods backed by a superior safety record. His safety record far surpasses that of the averages well known weight loss surgeons in US. My surgeon is not a God, just a good man helping people lose weight for the last 14 years. He did the first LapBand placement in the US and you can see him on national News including national TV news shows & national newspapers. For Allergen to choose him, wouldn't you agree he would have to be stellar? http://doctorsofweig...n-quebbemann-md

He did the first single incision VSG in the US. For TransEnterix to choose him, again his record would need to be the best in the nation and without blemish. http://www.transente...urgical-system/

He did the first US placement of the Reshape DualBallon. http://reshapemedica...or-weight-loss/

Again, for third company to choose him as the FIRST surgeon there would have to be something special...say extraordinary about him, his knowledge, his follow up and commitment to safety of each and every patient. He had operated on several Hollywood stars who can pay for the best...like a good lawyer, you get what you pay for. He is a humble doctor who spends almost 50% of his practice teaching other surgeons up to date practices or procedures or working with medical companies on up and coming procedures or how to improve existing devices. His surgery methods can not be called into question with all of this acclaim. Surgeons clammer to have him when they learn these new procedures.

And yes, he does outpatient surgery. Why? For the money? No, because outpatient is safe for VSG if you have the right surgeon with experience and follow up. Watch video to see a patient 2 days out of surgery. She went home night of surgery to her own bed, just like I did. Video is from fall 2010.

All of this to say...I went home same day, only took liquid pain meds once on day three and that was to sleep had no leak test, no drain without any dire outcome as posted on this thread. I slept in my own bed that night with little discomfort. No nurse waking me up, no IV's, no cathedar, no drain and no strangers...just me in the comfort of my own home. Experienced only minor discomfort compared to my c-section. This was possible due to an experienced surgeon.

If Mexico your preferred option... Aceeves sounds like a great choice! Good luck in your journey!

I am not going to be popular here...because most of you are Dr. Aceves patients. Well here i go putting a target on my back. I really struggle to post this fearing attacks. I am not attacking you, only correctly incorrect statements.

Sure he is a good surgeon and qualified. But statements made above are totally false. Tired of being told what is substandard when you misunderstand practices for VSG and only accept how Dr Aceves does surgery. So glad you are happy with choices available for you...that is why we are all so fortunate.

VSG can be done as outpatient surgery and it is not barbaric nor substandard in any form. Many US surgeons now practice VSG as outpatient surgery. Most surgeons and hospitals make more money if you stay in the hospital, not if surgeons/hospitals discharge you same day.

IF hospitals are in it for money, they want to keep you in hospital longer in increase bill...at least in the US.

I post my surgeons records so you do not call him barbaric or inexperienced. Also so you do not question his proven methods backed by a superior safety record. His safety record far surpasses that of the averages well known weight loss surgeons in US. My surgeon is not a God, just a good man helping people lose weight for the last 14 years. He did the first LapBand placement in the US and you can see him on national News including national TV news shows & national newspapers. For Allergen to choose him, wouldn't you agree he would have to be stellar? http://doctorsofweig...n-quebbemann-md

He did the first single incision VSG in the US. For TransEnterix to choose him, again his record would need to be the best in the nation and without blemish. http://www.transente...urgical-system/

He did the first US placement of the Reshape DualBallon. http://reshapemedica...or-weight-loss/

Again, for third company to choose him as the FIRST surgeon there would have to be something special...say extraordinary about him, his knowledge, his follow up and commitment to safety of each and every patient. He had operated on several Hollywood stars who can pay for the best...like a good lawyer, you get what you pay for. He is a humble doctor who spends almost 50% of his practice teaching other surgeons up to date practices or procedures or working with medical companies on up and coming procedures or how to improve existing devices. His surgery methods can not be called into question with all of this acclaim. Surgeons clammer to have him when they learn these new procedures.

And yes, he does outpatient surgery. Why? For the money? No, because outpatient is safe for VSG if you have the right surgeon with experience and follow up. Watch video to see a patient 2 days out of surgery. She went home night of surgery to her own bed, just like I did. Video is from fall 2010.

All of this to say...I went home same day, only took liquid pain meds once on day three and that was to sleep had no leak test, no drain without any dire outcome as posted on this thread. I slept in my own bed that night with little discomfort. No nurse waking me up, no IV's, no cathedar, no drain and no strangers...just me in the comfort of my own home. Experienced only minor discomfort compared to my c-section. This was possible due to an experienced surgeon.

If Mexico your preferred option... Aceeves sounds like a great choice! Good luck in your journey!

Hi,

I respect what you said. Some of us look at this a little different. I know for a fact the US Hospitals have a high risk of infection that Dr. Aceves Hospital has. I know that Dr. Aceves was listed as one of the top 25 Doctors in the WORLD for WLS. It is nice that we ALL have a choice to where we want to go. Many people's insurance will not pay for WLS, and I am happy that some of them are starting to pay for it. I feel very lucky because I received a lot of great care after the surgery. I was 63 and for me going home from Day Surgery was something I did not want. I am sure you received excellent care also. If someone asks me about my experience, I will recommend Dr. Aceves over any other doctor!

Take care,

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne. Appreciate that you understand we all have choices. So important we question our surgeons on hows & whys & be aware of most up to date proven techniques/options available for Vertical Sleeve surgery.

Since I didn't stay in a US hospital, rates of infection did not concern me. But by going home that night you could say my infection rate was ZERO since I didn't get an infection.

Curious, Googled worlds top ranked weight loss surgeons and NOTHING came up. How do you come up with Aceves being in top 25 in world? Understand I am not saying he isn't...one of my SoCal buddies was happy with her experience, but I want facts, not just statements. (My career is showing)

Need you provide a link to independent (not published by hospital or surgery center Aceves is associated with in any way) national articles/news reports (as I cited three sources above) that lists Aceves being top 25 in world as stated. Yes, I trust you, but verify your information so others here have content not just opinions. So many surgeons bio's state how they are weight loss pioneers...but do we as patients ever question how they are the best...the top.

Throwing out statistics without facts is unacceptable. Please back up statements with sources or state that your statements are opinions...not facts. It is acceptable to say your surgeon is best in your opinion. I like that you are proud. I am proud of your results and help to others.

Can you provide any other links from outside sources that list Aceves as pioneer? (as I sited with my surgeon) What ongoing education does he take to improve his skills or is he stagnate and not up on latest VSG techniques?

I self paid for my surgery, insurance did not cover it.

Outpatient surgery is not for those who have no support. As you can see by the video, lady in video is mid-50's, not that much younger than you and she had an amazing recovery as you view her 2 days after VSG. For people researching WLS they need to understand that many surgeons, not just mine, are doing outpatient surgery with same results as seen in nationally televised show about VSG surgery.

Me too. I would recommend my surgeon...if you can get an appointment. Many people here have had success with his partner though.

Looking forward to reading all of the outside articles, outside ratings & medical research firms who seek out Aceves advice. Thanks in advance to for all of your time!

Hugs - I love my sleeve and have no regrets.